Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about changing over to Castrol Syntex oil (full synthetic). How about 5W-50 or 15W-50? I bought a bunch of the 5W-50 and I use it in my VW TDI and wondered about the Burgman.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
This is just my opinion. If the oil is going to be changed in say 4000 miles and you are going to achieve that in 6 months then there is no real point paying mucho $$$ for synth. If you are going to take in excess of 12 months to achieve 4000 miles then they may be some merit in it. Personally, I would just use a dino to spec and drop it 6 monthly in that particular scenarion.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Timothy, no reason not to use it if you want to. I'm a synthetic freak and the extra bucks it costs seems worthwhile to me. I change every 4K including filter. Thats a lot of riding for about $15-$16. But I surely won't argue against Norman's premise either....too many folks use dino oil with equal success. Boils down to "whatever makes you feel good".

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I am using the Castrol Syntex oil 20 W 40
After giving it a lot of thought I decided I like the black container best :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Randy said:
After giving it a lot of thought I decided I like the black container best :lol:
Sometimes to reach the best decision one must approach the problem from another or alternative directions. Your strategy sounds pretty good to me! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Simply put, synthetic oil can be summed up in this simple statement. It's expensive maintainance, but it's also cheap insurance.

I use it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
NormanB said:
Randy said:
Sometimes to reach the best decision one must approach the problem from another or alternative directions. Your strategy sounds pretty good to me! :lol: :lol:
'ere Norm, are you quoting Sun Tzu now? :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
bechtoea said:
Simply put, synthetic oil can be summed up in this simple statement. It's expensive maintainance, but it's also cheap insurance.
I use it.
So if you suffer engine failure the synth manuafacturer pays up - I will use it then! :wink: :) :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
mupp said:
:hal

No - I was taking the piss!
But now you come to mention it, I have studied translations of Suz Tzu's work - primarily because it is considered essential reading prior to attending staff college in the military!

Got yer leg warmers yet m8?

·
Registered
119 Posts
NormanB said:
mupp said:
:hal

No - I was taking the piss!
But now you come to mention it, I have studied translations of Suz Tzu's work - primarily because it is considered essential reading prior to attending staff college in the military!

Got yer leg warmers yet m8?
Crikey Norm, I had no idea you were out of Sandhurst :shock:

I'm still undecided between the Bagster and the Turcano leggies, and either way it'll have to wait till end of month payday :(

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
mupp said:
Crikey Norm, I had no idea you were out of Sandhurst :shock:

I'm still undecided between the Bagster and the Turcano leggies, and either way it'll have to wait till end of month payday :(
Wrong colour - dark blue and Andrew Miller!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Russ Schaeffer said:
I wish you guys would speak English!

Thanx
Russ

I can speak Canadian but I'm not too sharp on the Kings slang. (Just kidding, eh.)
This guy couldn't speak the lingo either:

Sun Tzu :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
mupp said:
Aha - hence the Pompey connection and the beard :fish:
But now beardless and very nearly hairless! :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
oil

My Two pennyworths, a chopper mechanic always advised that its the frequent changing that matters, keep it fresh and within service intervals and much any recomended oil does the job. Synth like Devcon is used to extend service intervals on fleet vehicles, if you change regularly why pay the extra. After all who is going to keep their bike/scoot long enough to know what difference it will make! Couriers and Paris Dakar riders might disagree. :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: oil

phil thunder said:
My Two pennyworths, a chopper mechanic always advised that its the frequent changing that matters, keep it fresh and within service intervals and much any recomended oil does the job. [snipped]:
Hey Phil

I said that near the top of this thread before we spun out of control :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
phil thunder wrote
My Two pennyworths, a chopper mechanic always advised that its the frequent changing that matters, keep it fresh and within service intervals and much any recomended oil does the job.
I would be the last person to argue about that statement, but keep in mind we are not all running choppers,
The 400 is a single piston and it does take more of a pounding then a V twin.
The base polymers in synthetic oil are larger then Dino oil and this helps in wear and tear.
That is the main reason I use it.
And I don't mind the fact that it help the mpg . :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts