Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just done a 110 mile night ride and had a problem. It was pitch dark and at about 70 mph I tried to engage OD. I was in auto so switched to gears but my thumb could not get the up shift to engage from 5 into OD. Am I the only one that has trouble? or do others have a thunb that just isn't sure exactly what its about to press in the dark. I found the headlight switch ok. The power mode was a problem as well. Has anyone fitted or can there be fitted a background light into the switch housing so that maybe the switches glow in the dark? Got to say that I think this one has to be something Suzuki could look at.

·
Administrator
20,192 Posts
Hate to say it but most manufactures think Mucsel memory is all thats needed. Meaning your thumb "Should" know where all the switches are "without" looking. I say Bonkers (much stronger word not allowed).

Now there are some that have placed small LED's on the bars and others have put them on thier gloves. I have some "Cool Blue" LEDs but am afraid that some L.E.O. may pull me over for the blue glow. I want to mount them on the backside of my gloves. But with them there, if I wave my hand some may think the blue is flashing. DaveJ

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
you can go to an auto-supply store and buy a small dash LED light set... and mount it over where it will add the best illumination to light up the handlebar buttons.

personally I do a mental exercise with each one of my bikes, sit in the dark in the garage and memorize the distance that my thumb has to travel to reach each control, takes a bit of practice but in the end I know exactly where everything is and I never have to look at the handlebar controls ever again...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Concerning the ( having to fumble for the switches ) I mounted a small led light on the left side to be able to see the switches.

I fashioned a homemade bracket with an extened hood over the bulb so that it wasn't intrusive and hard wired it to a hot wire beneath the handlebar cover. Not difficult to do and the led light was not costly, About three bucks from radio shack. The color of the bulb is yellow, Easier then red or green to see the switch functions.

The bracket for the light was fashioned from a small piece of tin that was laying around and then I painted it flat black to keep it from rusting and it is hardly noticeable.

Works great. I understand about trying to remember where all the switches are and to heck with that nonsense. When i need them I will be able to see them now.

Surely hope this suggestion helps you.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Hazard...how about a picture of your LED install. Others may learn from your project.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am really reassured when I read problems like this because it tells me its not just me! Thanks.
I only forget now and again but yes an led light might be added to mine when I get around to fitting those Oznium led strips on the mirrors.

Alternatively Brain training by Nintendo DS!!! Cheers Bill

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
I figure 'muscle memory' is the best way to go and we are talking the left hand here for :

a. Indicators and cancel.
b. Headlight - normal and hi beam.
c. Power button.
d. Horn

can't be that difficult can it? :)

Practice. :idea:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How about E. Manual or Auto select?
And F. Shift up and down in manual?

Bill

Enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Also let's not forget G. Mirrors in and out on the Exec.

Bill

Enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am still trying to reply about the light that i mounted but I cannot seem to get it posted. Just a short sentance. Oh well, I will try later

·
Registered
202 Posts
I reply specifically in response to Norm who says 'It cant be that difficult?'
You see Norm I ride lots of bikes, and whilst the 'core' switches are in the same place, my works vehicle has those 'extra buttons'. You know the ones. Theres the 'quick get out of my way, my chips are getting cold in the pannier button, which operates some pretty blue flashing lights. Then there is the button marked 'get out of my way or else ... because I'm trying to get back to the station to book off duty'!! This one seems to eminate a strange disjointed howling noise?
The things I have to put up with...So you will forgive me Norm if I forget the proximity of my power button to its neighbours on my Burgy! Cheers Bill

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use manual mode every day and still get confused from time to time. Someone should take the switches apart and see if there is room enough and if the plastic is translucent enough to back light. That would be slick! :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
taffcop said:
Just done a 110 mile night ride and had a problem. It was pitch dark and at about 70 mph I tried to engage OD. I was in auto so switched to gears but my thumb could not get the up shift to engage from 5 into OD. Am I the only one that has trouble? or do others have a thunb that just isn't sure exactly what its about to press in the dark.
Well, I can't even find the switches in the light without looking! Several times, I've gone into power mode rather than cancel the indicators, or hit high beam instead of shift up....
Its not a well designed layout. I think the up & down shift buttons are poorly placed. Do you get the Aprilia Mana in the states? Its a bike, but with a similar sort of multi-mode/semi-auto CVT gearbox to the Burger. I think that has the shift up button under one handlebar, and the shift up button under the other bar. I think that might work out better.

Timbo

·
Administrator
20,192 Posts
I hit the HORN sometime tring to cancel the turnsignals. I have hit the power buttion going for the High beams too. DaveJ

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Bill-Bill said:
How about E. Manual or Auto select?
And F. Shift up and down in manual?

Bill

Enjoy the ride...

Good point -Bill I have never used them -( E & F) (apart from one try in 2004). If I need a quick response I jab the power button - I know exactly where it is. :) :) :)
and I do not have the motorised mirrors .

I got in the habit of 'memorising' controls as I was a great advocate of handlebar muffs - which unfortunately are not that practical on a 650 due to the mirror position. No regrets though - great mirrors.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
billbytheway said:
snipped You see Norm I ride lots of bikes ....snipped yada yada yada Cheers Bill
Bill - I have nothing but respect for you and your colleagues. Well the mounted elements anyway. :D :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts