Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

switched power

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Ralph M 
#1 ·
Hey folks, Im hooking up a garmin on my burg and im looking for some advice on power supply. im thinking i probably want switched power so i dont run the battery down and that is the point of this post. can one of you tell me where you got power for your GPS adapters ? i have purchased an accessory socket at radio shack to plug the Garmin plug/transformer into. now im looking for the easiest place to get "switched" power to the socket.

thanks in advance

#2 ·
There is a plug up under the right side if the dash on the end of a wire but its tucked
away and hard to find, it's fed from the same fuse as the power socket in the glove
box, or the one I use is the live off the horn and a separate earth, other thing you
could do is get one of those multi sockets with a low profile plug that you can plug
into the power socket and still get the glove box shut.

#3 ·
thnaks ralph, ill look for that plug tomorrow. i dont want to use the socket as id like to have this thing hardwired and discreet.

#5 ·
Ralph M said:
There is a plug up under the right side if the dash on the end of a wire but its tucked
away and hard to find, it's fed from the same fuse as the power socket in the glove
box, or the one I use is the live off the horn and a separate earth, other thing you
could do is get one of those multi sockets with a low profile plug that you can plug
into the power socket and still get the glove box shut.
Ralph........!!!!!! Can you tell us how you gain access to this "hidden" switched plug somewhere under the dash.???????? PLEASE......

#6 ·
On mine its taped to the wiring harness right up under the left of the dash and a right pig to find
don't have access to the Burgman just now but when I do I will see if I can give a better idea as its
over a year since I messed with it.

#8 ·
Ralph M said:
If you look in the bottom left of wiring diagram it's the thing marked "Option"
unless it's a UK only thing, wired into the feed for the horn.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/d/54433-2 ... wiring.jpg
Thanks for that Ralph........BUT........I still gotta know how to get to that switched power source on the Burgie...... maybe you can also look for that when you gat a chance...??

#9 ·
Will look as soon as I can it will be a few days, I do know it was a pig to find and it's on the
same circuit as the live side of the horn so you can use that and its much easer to piggy back
a connection off that, but will find it once I get chance, most Suzy's have them the V-strom has
one think that is behind the lights.

#10 ·
For my Garmin installation, I purchased off EBay, a 'hard-wire' power-supply...
about $14.00, & wired it into the headlight wiring...turns On & Off with the
ignition switch.

#11 ·
Right had a look, if you feel up under the faring as though you are trying to get to the right indicator bulb
just below it you will feel a small connector hanging on two short wires, that's it, if you look under from
the left hand side of the scooter you can see it as a small white connector with black and white and
black and orange lead, it appears to have two flat type connections, don't know were to get the plug
for it though, I did see some on Evil Bay and will have another look if they are the right one if they are
still there that is.

#12 ·
It's the white one at the bottom just below the bigger yellow one and it's up behind
the indicator light area on the right hand side of the bike.

#14 ·
Like all DC systems you have to get the polarity right, I would expect the
black and white wire to be earth but would check it out with a meter in any case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.