Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a switched power source up front of the Burgman 650. I thought that I would tap into the accesory plug that is in the glove box but for some reason I'm not able to get any juice from the red wire. I will be running the wire to a Fuzeblock that I've placed inside the glove box. Anything wrong w/ using one of the headlights? This will be used to power my driving lights that I've mounted on the front fender.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,933 Posts
I have tapped into the headlights with LEDs but you want to be careful with the amperage draw so you don't melt down your wires. The accessory power plug would be ideal if you can track down the power loss. I thought the power wire was Black with White stripe but I might be mistaken on the 650's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Black with white stripe is ground, orange with blue stripe is power source, which is present in the glove compartment and a in small unused connector under the instrument housing.
[attachment=0:3hoagxv6]small_diagram.jpg[/attachment:3hoagxv6]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a PosiTap on both wires going to the glovebox accessory plug and still no luck. Just to make sure that the plug did have juice to it, plugged in my GPS and it showed power w/ the LED being lit. My driving lights are the model 30 ADVMonster model 30 3-LED lights - specs listed as 1500 lumens, .85 amps @ 12 volts if this helps.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Maybe you've switched plus and minus? LEDiodes need correct polarity.

Do they work directly from the battery?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,228 Posts
What are you using for a ground on your driving lights?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I iniitally hooked the lights up to the battery to confirm that they worked OK when received - no problems. On my Fuzeblock, they work fine IF I have the fuse in the constant on slot. No luck w/ the switched fuse side so far. My ground wire is running to a small bolt that is located on the steering stem neck above the triple-tree. Ground is OK since the lights work OK when I have the fuse in the constant on position.
Nephew w/ smaller hands and better eyesight on his way over to give me a hand to try to remedy the problem.
This is what I am using to hook the wiring up to for a neater appearance: http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,228 Posts
While it doesn't appear the ground is the source of your current problem I would recommend you run a ground wire back to the battery. The frame on these bikes has been known to be an inconsistant ground. I had a pair od driving lights wired up that way on my 05 and had problems with then going on and off.

Buffalo said:
What are you using for a ground on your driving lights?
Have you tried running a jumper wire directly to the switched side of your fuse block to determine if it is working. For that matter have you checked the ground on the switched side of your fuse block to see if it is good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smaller hands, better eyesight and a younger mind got it solved. Nephew redid the Positap on the hot wire to the accessory plug and we got the lights to come on when the ignition key was turned on. Then we redid the "switched wire" to the Fuzeblock and everything was A-OK. Also installed a waterproof switch (w/ LED backlight) on the panel outside of the glovebox so I can turn the driving lights on/off at my discretion - these ADVMonster lights are bright. Someone had mentioned that Daboo had some installed on his 400.
Going moto-camping this weekend - first long haul after installing a trailer hitch and putting together a Harbor Freight Tagalong trailer. Will work on aiming the driving lights when it gets dark at the campsite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
ucwinters said:
...... My ground wire is running to a small bolt that is located on the steering stem neck above the triple-tree. ...


Don't let that sucker trick you. The frame is a very unreliable ground source, and that exact "ground" gave me lots of trouble with my GPS switching on and off.

Use the ground from the cigaret ligter socket as well, or tap into another black wire with white stripe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
ucwinters said:
Smaller hands, better eyesight and a younger mind got it solved. Nephew redid the Positap on the hot wire to the accessory plug and we got the lights to come on when the ignition key was turned on. Then we redid the "switched wire" to the Fuzeblock and everything was A-OK. Also installed a waterproof switch (w/ LED backlight) on the panel outside of the glovebox so I can turn the driving lights on/off at my discretion - these ADVMonster lights are bright. Someone had mentioned that Daboo had some installed on his 400.
Going moto-camping this weekend - first long haul after installing a trailer hitch and putting together a Harbor Freight Tagalong trailer. Will work on aiming the driving lights when it gets dark at the campsite.
SMALLER HANDS................AND..............BETTER EYESIGHT ALWAYS GETS IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you got it figured out...!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
I always use the license plate bulb as my power switch source, very easy to get to, low risk, and quick setup.

I personally never mess with the harness unless I really have to because of an electrical short / problem.

My current setup:



good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
ucwinters said:
Looking for a switched power source up front of the Burgman 650. I thought that I would tap into the accesory plug that is in the glove box but for some reason I'm not able to get any juice from the red wire. I will be running the wire to a Fuzeblock that I've placed inside the glove box. Anything wrong w/ using one of the headlights? This will be used to power my driving lights that I've mounted on the front fender.

Thanks!
Never mind......!!!!!! I should read fully before responding............. :lol:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top