Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of making a 200cc you should have made a 1000cc scooter. Whats the first things that most 400 and 650 burgman owners do. Lets see, Taller windshield of course. Why does everyone exept the Americans make motorcycles with small windshields. Next top box with intagrated stop and turn lights. Visability means safety. Next cruise control, especially with an automatic, DAH. Would anybody like a touch screen system like on the Can Am.

At least Harley Davidson listens to there customers.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I think the 200 has it's place. Heck, Europe gets a 125cc Burgman as well as the 200. There was also a 250 sold in Japan and other markets. Of coarse there are some who want a 1000cc Burgman - but are there enough for Suzuki to build it?

As to tall windshields - Many other places in the world don't ride as far or as fast on their scoots/motos as we do in America so less need for tall WS. Also Asians are shorter and they account for far more sales so WS are often fitted to them.

BTW Harley makes some of the shortest WS in the business.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Not much of a 'windshield'.....
more-or-less a bug-deflector....
so that they come up & hit you
right in the face....:???:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Upgrading the cvt of the 650 with larger pulleys will fill the gap of the need for bigger engine because you will get better acceleration and lower cruising rpm and "maybe" higher top speed (not sure).

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I think the 200 has it's place. Heck, Europe gets a 125cc Burgman as well as the 200. There was also a 250 sold in Japan and other markets. Of coarse there are some who want a 1000cc Burgman - but are there enough for Suzuki to build it?
And of course, keep in mind that the US market for scooters is tiny compared to that of the rest of the world. Having a 200cc scooter in the first place is an anomaly that probably opens up sales opportunities in the US; worldwide, many countries have a "easy" licensing cutoff at 125cc (and the 150-163cc bikes sold here tend to share most of the mechanicals of the 125s sold elsewhere, often with just a cylinder bore diameter increase). That cutoff means a lot of 125cc bikes on the market, and very few between 150 and 250cc.

A 1000cc Burgman would be directly competing against touring motorcycles, and in that niche would have significant disadvantages in weight, power, and handling. Additionally, this would require designing a new ECVT from the ground up to handle the additional power -- they couldn't re-use the ECVT currently in production (or the tooling used to manufacture it).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not much of a 'windshield'.....
more-or-less a bug-deflector....
so that they come up & hit you
right in the face....:???:
Very true! They're more about looking "cool" than being functional.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Instead of making a 200cc you should have made a 1000cc scooter. Whats the first things that most 400 and 650 burgman owners do. Lets see, Taller windshield of course. Why does everyone exept the Americans make motorcycles with small windshields. Next top box with intagrated stop and turn lights. Visability means safety. Next cruise control, especially with an automatic, DAH. Would anybody like a touch screen system like on the Can Am.

HD and Can Am sell their products predominantly to the North American market. North Americans are generally MUCH larger than other nationals and the highways generally have MUCH higher speed limits.

As has been pointed out by previous posters, North America is a niche market for scooter manufacturers compared with Asia, for example, where millions of sub 125cc machines are sold each year IN EACH COUNTRY.

HD listens to its North American customers because it has to - there is very little market for their products outside of North America. Lets face it, their target market is predominantly the same individuals who buy large V8 autos - the dinosaurs of the auto industry - but because North America has the cheapest oil prices in the world (as a % of average personal income) people can still afford to drive them.

Continuing this argument, motorcycles and scooters are mostly used as leisure vehicles in North America whereas in other continents they are purchased, and used daily, to provide the cheapest, and most economical, form of motorised transport.

So ultimately it comes down to "different strokes for different folks". :)

·
Registered
21 Posts

Comparing the 200 Burgman with the larger models is a big mistake, they are very different machines intended for different uses. Therefore there is a place for both.

I bought a 200 Burgman for several reasons but mainly because of the anti-lock brakes (very few small scooters do not have that feature). I also have a BMW GT 650 scooter and obviously it is much bigger and heavier than the 200. The 650 is great for the road and the 200 is great for around town. Two different machines for two different uses.

As for Harley Davidson, they are one of the worst companies in regards to customer manipulation. There is even a term called the "Harley Tax." I have owned numerous Harleys but for those who have never heard it, it is a term used by Harley riders that refers to the amount of money a Harley owner must spend (on their brand new bike!) to make it right. Yes, to make it the way Harley should have made it to begin with! Harley makes some great machines but in my opinion their customer manipulation is terrible.

·
Registered
765 Posts
... you should have made a 1000cc scooter.
The call for a larger displacement scooter always puzzles me. Why??? The 650 is a masterpiece in engineering. Not to big, not to small... just right?

It will run 80 mph easily ALL day long. It will go over 100mph if you want.
I've had mine up to 102 mph - and I'm a large man. I just don't get why/how the additional cc's would be an advantage. Bigger is better?
I don't see how? Somebody 'splain it to me ........

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The call for a larger displacement scooter always puzzles me. Why??? The 650 is a masterpiece in engineering. Not to big, not to small... just right?

It will run 80 mph easily ALL day long. It will go over 100mph if you want.
I've had mine up to 102 mph - and I'm a large man. I just don't get why/how the additional cc's would be an advantage. Bigger is better?
I don't see how? Somebody 'splain it to me ........

Sirkitrider
I think what the OP is really saying is that he wants an automatic GoldWing. I have no doubt that Honda will provide such a beast, maybe even a 2 litre version, with its next version of the 'Wing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My last bike (Yamaha 400) did not have ABS. I found the screetching rear tire to be far more effective than any horn for warning drivers that they were making my life more exciting than I really wanted! :eek:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It would be nice if some one would make a horn that would get the attention of sleep drivers!!
They do - Stebel Magnums are an easy fit to a Burgie and they are as loud as most truck horns. When I use mine the car drivers give me confused looks expecting to see a large truck instead of a scooter. :p

·
Registered
585 Posts
As for Harley Davidson, they are one of the worst companies in regards to customer manipulation. There is even a term called the "Harley Tax." I have owned numerous Harleys but for those who have never heard it, it is a term used by Harley riders that refers to the amount of money a Harley owner must spend (on their brand new bike!) to make it right. Yes, to make it the way Harley should have made it to begin with! Harley makes some great machines but in my opinion their customer manipulation is terrible.
This is true of most motorcycles and scooters. What have you added to your scooter? What do you plan on adding? I suppose we could call that a 'scooter tax'?

I've added the Clearview and the Givi to my Burgman and I'm thinking of adding a bracket to hold the Garmin. I'd have to wander further afield to make it sensible but being sensible hasn't stopped me from spending money on rides in the past. I remember the first Triumph 650 I bought - first thing I did was buy some new pipes - among other stuff. Its the nature of the beast IMO to add things to your 2 wheeler. It wouldn't make sense to produce a MC or scooter with the kitchen sink thrown in for good measure. Not everyone wants the same thing. Its easier for a Harley buyer to get a bike close to what he/she is looking for - and much harder to get a new Burgman close to what you are looking for. Scooters are not often sold with accessories.

A new bike is for me is like a blank canvas just waiting for me to put my mark on it - to make it mine. I did it with my Harleys and I'm doing it with the Burgman.

I'm trying to figure out how Harley manipulates their customers...:confused: It isn't like they are twisting their customer's arm. Take a look at the accessories Harley has in their showrooms. Suzuki could only dream of such a market. But nobody is forcing those customers to buy anything. Seems like a win-win IMO.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think the "vehicle tax" is there for anyone who has certain goals (or "'wants") for their vehicles. These would be the "Enthusiasts." I did track days with 2 of my previous cars. One had about $3k worth of suspension mods in it, the other one has about $2k so far...

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is true of most motorcycles and scooters. What have you added to your scooter? What do you plan on adding? I suppose we could call that a 'scooter tax'?

I'm trying to figure out how Harley manipulates their customers...:confused: It isn't like they are twisting their customer's arm. Take a look at the accessories Harley has in their showrooms. Suzuki could only dream of such a market. But nobody is forcing those customers to buy anything. Seems like a win-win IMO.

This isn't a Harley forum so I will only address one of the many items that fit the "Harley Tax."..... Mirrors...... Harley mirrors are almost useless as the bike is delivered; that is unless you only like to view your shoulders while you are riding. Therefore Harley will gladly sell you new mirrors, for your new bike, to correct this deficiency. And of course that is what most people (who understand that leaning from left to right to use the mirrors to see what is behind you is stupid) will do. That is one of the many "Harley Taxes".

I could add many more but this isn't a Harley forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 650 burgman is very close to being a revolutionary touring machine.

It needs:

A bulletproof CVT with a manner to adress drive belt replacement that doesn't involve removing the entire drive assembly from the frame.

A seat with no hump. Just outfit it with a high quality seat that allows the rider to shift positions.

Eliminate the plastic shroud that surrounds the handlebar assembly so that the handlebars can be adjusted to accommodate the rider.

Outfit the suspension with adjustable cartridges in the forks and preload/dampening adjustment on the shocks.

A windshield that can be adjusted to eliminate buffeting regardless of the riders preferred riding posture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A friend of mine somehow got a 950 Burgman shipped out to the states from Japan. That I'd love to have. But, personally, it's not worth having to deal with a larger scooter in order to have a 1000 or 1100 Burgman.

I ride with Goldwings, and my 650 keeps up just fine. I love my 2013 Burgman to death!

And speaking of Harleys...............I've owned a number of them. Thankfully, I wised up and stopped drinking the Harley kool-aid. In fact, I traded my Harley Deluxe in for my 2013 Burgman, and couldn't be happier.

I've owned over 20 motorcycles since 1999, and now I wouldn't dream of riding anything but a Burgman. I've never been happier.

And let me say this, my husband worked at a Harley-Davidson dealership. Harleys are crap, and H-D doesn't give two craps about the consumer. The horror stories I have would boggle your mind. Sad but true.

Having said all this: I have ordered a larger Clear view windshield because as everyone knows, the stock ones are too low. I also ordered an aftermarket back rest. There is always room for improvement with anything, even Burgmans, but I'd say they are pretty darn close to perfect for me! :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
A friend of mine somehow got a 950 Burgman shipped out to the states from Japan.
Are you sure? Suzuki do not manufacture a Burgman larger than 650cc. If this one was a 950 it would be aftermarket, but I seriously doubt anyone has bored and stroked a 650 Burgman engine to 950cc. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
There are a couple of guys that have used a heat-gun
to soften the adhesive on the #6 enough to be able to
remove it, & turn it upside down, to read 950.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts