Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ride a Burgman , But I cant get enough Motogp or motoAmerica. I traded my 2008 Silverwing for some cash and a 1986 Cavalcade in very good condition. I have a right knee that I can only bend about 90 degrees so touring scooters are my choice. I have tried Goldwings but they just dont fit my 5' 10" 230 lb frame. The Cavalcade actually fit me well and I can stretch my legs out a little in the lower fairing but not as much as the Burgman. My wife likes the Cavalcade because of the rear seat, But the Burgman seat is still 10 inches longer. I had to take the driver backrest off the Cavalcade so we both would fit.

What would be nice is a 1000cc Burgman with all that the old Cavalcade had as for as creature comforts. The wind protection is superior to the Burgman. I do not like shifting, That is so last century. Your Marketing department is in the last mellinium. I understand that a 1000cc scooter in the rest of the world would be considered outrageous but here in the states you would be getting to almost the right size. The 650 Burgman sales well in europe but not so well in the states. This probably what is giving you at Suzuki cold feet on anything bigger in a Scooter.

Let me finish by giving you this thought. Suzuki has always been to late. For example. The cavalcade. last one of the big Japanees firms to offer a luxury toring motorcycle. A good bike but to expensive and why only 9000 units. You dont have anything to compare to a BMW 1600 or Goldwing.

Your scooters have a proven track record and are the best on the market, Its time to build on that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I don't think there is a market or a need for a larger scooter. I ride very crooked and steep mountain roads 200-300 miles at least once a week with both Harleys and BMWs. I generally lead the group because I know the roads better. The Harleys can't keep up at all and the BMW riders have to push theirs to keep up. A larger scooter would have to be much heavier with larger tires and I think the 650 is already heavier than most people like (the BMW R11200RT, R1200GS, etc. are lighter).

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind is that for scooters, the US is a tiny part of the world market. It's generally not worth the effort to design and build scooters for just the US.

I still maintain that the AN650's powertrain could sell well in a cruiser-type motorcycle form factor (rotate the cylinders and head around the crankshaft axis to vertical, replace the gear intermediate drive with a belt and stretch the swingarm; the resulting bike looks like a somewhat stretched Triumph), and am surprised they never bothered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts