Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Vstrom is cheaper than a Burg 650. Any of you own or ride a Vstrom650 or Vstrom 1000? How does the Vstrom compare to the Burg 650? For the money the Vstrom 650 looks real good

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi all I had a vstrom for 5 years it had 120000ks when I sold it and was still going strong. naturally they are two totally different type of bikes.it would take a while to explain the difference so get a photo and specs of both bikes and compare each. I consider the vstrom 650 the best adventure tour bike on the market(and I have ridden them all ) and here in Australia if your are out touring on dirt roads you will always see one in amongst all the gs bmw (and yes they annoy the gs bmw riders like the burgman annoys the Goldwing riders,,,,,,there half the price and do exactly the same thing ).The burgman is more your city /tour bike and not happy on dirt roads and it to is one of the best city come touring bikes available, because it does what a lot of other bikes do but at a fraction of the cost

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'll agree it's comparing apples and oranges. However, from what a friend mine, a long-time and very experienced rider has said, he MUCH prefers the Vstrom 650 over the Vstrom 1000. Says the V 650 has all the power needed and a lot of handling is lost with the weight of the 1000. Still, he regularly rides maxi-scooters.

·
Registered
230 Posts
well said the 650 wee strom as we call it is just the right size .The bigger cc you go and the more weight you gain and on dirt that translate to harder work. My friend has a kitted out 650 vstrom .white power rear shocks, harder front springs full nobbies tyres I have seen him do 1 meter jumps easy. I asked him once why did you not just buy a dr650 instead ,he said that the vstrom is more comfortable and will cruise on 140ks all day

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have come close to buying a 650 Vstrom several times. They are very nice bikes and their owners love them. But when I consider the cost of adding the items I what on it and the lost of the scooter's advantages, like weather protection and riding position, I come back to the idea that a scooter is better for me.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My riding partner used to have one and we toured up The James Bay Road together and did rides in US.

Significant gains in acceleration and suspension over the Burgman 650 - he would float over bumps that would hammer my teeth. Bigger tank so longer riding range.

As adventure bikes go it's top notch in my view tho tall.
It's not cheap here and the new Honda CB500x would be my choice over it but again nowhere near the power or suspension of the Weestrom. Loads of luggage and windscreen options

Top heavy as all adventure twins are and so you trade off suspension travel for a higher C of G.
Bit tall for the average rider tho there are lowering kits and seats.

I've heard prices have come down on them so might be better value now.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My friend has a Vstrom 650 and likes it. We did put a lowering kit on it as it was too high for him. Watching him mount looks painful but he has it figured out. It is his 40th bike and he says his last as he is 72.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Bikes keep you young; he may well surprise himself with his 41st bike at 75!

The V-Strom and the Burgman are really different. Perhaps this Motorcycle Ergonomics tool will be useful in visualizing just how different they will feel to ride:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've had two 650 V-Stroms, a 2007 and 2011 with ABS, both bikes were great and would buy another if I wanted one. Never did anything to each except oil changes. Would not buy the 1000 as the 650 is the bike of choice, better buy, better resale. Being a Dual Sport rider at heart I'm only riding a 650 Burgman as a fun ride, I like it for what it is when I'm not wanting to ride off road. But you asked if you were only going to have one, for me it would be the 650 V-Strom and not because I would ride it off road, I never rode the V-Strom off road other then a hard packed road for short distances, I could do that on a 650 Burgman as well. When it comes to luggage I have all waterproof Wolfman Soft Luggage and I transfer it from bike to bike as needed, I could even put it on the back of the Burgman if I wanted to. My biggest discomfort with scooters is the smaller wheels which will give you a rougher ride and you must pay more attention to road surfaces then you would on a standard bike. For me it's two different rides.

John

John

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I own an '07 650 V-strom that I have outfitted as a full-on Adventure Bike and a '09 Burgman 650 Executive. The two are very different bikes, almost polar opposites. The V-strom is a tall bike and a little top heavy while the Burgman has the weight carried low. The V-strom feels like it pulls harder although on reflection, I don't think it is any quicker than the Burgman. The v-twin in the V-strom has a more raw feeling while the Burgman has the smoothest engine in any motorcycle I have ever ridden. I like both of my bikes.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Are there any ready-mad lower fairing parts available for the wee-Strom to give your legs protection against the wind?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Suzuki V Strom 650 vs Burgman 650

Hello from the UK I am new to the forum today. I have both of the above bikes plus others. I have a 2012 Model 650 V Strom and it is a superb all round bike. It is a great handling bike with a sublime and enonomical engine. It is a torquey bike as well and you do not have to wring its neck to make progress. It can easily cope with a passenger and luggage as well. £ for £ or $ for $ I do not think there is a better value bike. I have made some smallish mods including a good looking fork brace and progressive fork springs. All that being said I love my 650 Burg Exe 2007, again I have upgraded the susp by fitting progressive fork springs and higher grade rear shocks from Hagon. Both bikes can cruise and scratch (Make quick progress on straights and bends alike) If you are on a tight budget the V Strom makes sense both as a cheaper buy but running costa as well, if not have a rest ride both will not dissappoint.

PS The 2012 V strom was a considerable upgrade over the older models and IMHO worth paying a little more for.

Cheers

WM

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bikes keep you young; he may well surprise himself with his 41st bike at 75!

The V-Strom and the Burgman are really different. Perhaps this Motorcycle Ergonomics tool will be useful in visualizing just how different they will feel to ride:

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Thank You! I don't think that my back would like the VStrom 650 for very long. The riding position of the Burg 650 is much better suited for me.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had two 650 V-Stroms, a 2007 and 2011 with ABS, both bikes were great and would buy another if I wanted one. Never did anything to each except oil changes. Would not buy the 1000 as the 650 is the bike of choice, better buy, better resale. Being a Dual Sport rider at heart I'm only riding a 650 Burgman as a fun ride, I like it for what it is when I'm not wanting to ride off road. But you asked if you were only going to have one, for me it would be the 650 V-Strom and not because I would ride it off road, I never rode the V-Strom off road other then a hard packed road for short distances, I could do that on a 650 Burgman as well. When it comes to luggage I have all waterproof Wolfman Soft Luggage and I transfer it from bike to bike as needed, I could even put it on the back of the Burgman if I wanted to. My biggest discomfort with scooters is the smaller wheels which will give you a rougher ride and you must pay more attention to road surfaces then you would on a standard bike. For me it's two different rides.

John

John
John,

I really appreciate the post. Now I truly wish Suzuki offered a suspension upgrade on the 650 scooter as that would make the ride so much sweeter.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
John,

I really appreciate the post. Now I truly wish Suzuki offered a suspension upgrade on the 650 scooter as that would make the ride so much sweeter.

On burg forum in Europe several previous 650 owner claim 2013 suspension better than past model.

Suspension may already be very good for you, not to worry until you purchase and ride new 2013 you want. then decide if suspension need upgrade.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I can drive Vee faster but i go on Burgie further. tried a wee - not my cup of tea

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2003 V-Strom DL 1000 and a 2012 Burgman 650 Executive. There is a constant battle going on between the bikes for my affection and attention. When I ride the V-Strom I feel it to be quick, better in the twisties, better over rough paved roads and long-legged on range. When I ride the Burgman I feel more comfortable, relaxed, able to keep up with any other riders, and wanting to take a long trip. I need two bikes and am seriously thinking of selling the V-Strom and buying another Burgman. Getting on and off the V-Strom is painful compared to the Burgman.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
The SFV650 is the street version of the V-Strom 650. It has a bit more faring and is geared a bit different too. The Hyosung is a clone.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts