Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First forgive me for my broken english...(yet, I bet my English is still better then your Hebrew...).
Well, to make a long story short, until 2 weeks ago I was sure I was going to replace my Piaggio X9 500cc with a Burgman AN650, but then came the ride on the V-STROM 650....
I like them both very much, and it is very hard for me to choose between them.
Here in Israel the DL650 is more expensive then the Burgi (something with the tax policy) at about 1,500 USD, but it offers more power and the ability to go off road...
The Burgi, in the other hand, gives you all the comfort in the world, with a classic look, well I don't have to convince you, do I ?
I know some of you still have or use to have a motorcycle before (unlike me, I only own maxi-scooters) and I'm looking for your comment and advise, on how to choose between a very good maxi-scooter and a very usefull motorcycle.
Some information about me, that may direct you:
70% of the time I ride in the city.
On weekends I expect it to be comfort for 2 person on, for 300-400 km.
Speed is not something I'm looking for.
I'm looking after Good value for money.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I own a V-Strom DL1000 and a Burgman AN650. I've never ridden the DL650, but it is very similar to the DL1000.

For the type of riding you have described, the Burgman AN650 would be a great choice - and if it costs less, that is a bonus.

On the off-road issue, I would not choose a V-Strom for an off road machine. That is not really what it was designed for. If you are talking about gravel roads, or hardpacked dirt roads, in reasonably good condition, the Burgman can navigate them too, although at a slower pace than a V-Strom.

I would change my recommendation only if your paved roads are in poor condition (lots of potholes, etc.). The bigger wheels and longer suspension travel of the V-Strom would win out in that case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pauljo for your advise (I happend to read most of your comments in the forum, and I find them very helpful).

In response to your comment, I should have mention I'm talking about gravel roads, or hardpacked dirt roads.

I wish I could have them both, only in Israel the price for the DL650 is about 15,000 USD ! (now, you do the math...).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Shaylok,

It's interesting to me that you post this question, because I have owned a VStrom 1000 and now have a 650 Burgman, but have been debating constantly with myself about switching to a 650 VStrom. The Burgman wins the argument everytime. It's all in the details. The Burgman is lower, easier to get on and off, has a lower CG, making it better balanced, has great storage space, a centerstand and provides much better weather protection as I discovered the other day when riding in light rain - I didn't get wet! I could go on, but you get the idea. Oh, yes, one more thing, no chain to worry about and did I mention the super slick auto transmission?

Cheers,

Bob

Oh, yes, it handles cross winds much better than a VStrom!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bob,

Good points. I think you've nailed it. :wink:

I really don't think I'd buy the V-Strom 650 over the Burgman 650.
The V-Strom 1000 has enough extra horsepower and torque to be
a fun alternate ride. I already owned my DL1000 when I bought my Burgman, and had already invested in a lot of accessories for it. So I would lose my shirt if I sold it. My wife just glares at me whenever I talk about selling it... So, I force myself to take it out for a ride once in awhile. Ah, the things I have to do to keep the marriage alive... 8)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I used to commute by motorcycle (HD Ultra Classic) in tel vaiv and the run up to safed. Great Riding territory ....Tovv M'od.

I think you shouldget the Burgman 650. It makes sense. If you dont, then:

'Effo ha takchana ha Merkazeet.'

·
Registered
21 Posts
AN v DL

Hi Shaylok,

my 2 cents...

If your roads are not perfect, still go the burgman and spend the money on a decent set of rear shocks (Ikons / Konis).

I'm in Western Australia and our country roads are far from perfect. I'm trying to get a hold of a set myself. Will let you know how it pans out.

They have worked for me many times in the past.

Just replaced a rear tyre and it was scalloped unevenly, just like worn shock absorbers...

nev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Burgman 650 it is !

Burgman 650 it is !
And thank you all for your advises.
I am now checking with the local agency, if they intend to import the Exacutiv model (with the ABS, the chrome exoust and the electric mirrors, comes in bluck as well), and if so then when.
Yesterday I took it (the simple model) for another ride, and I realised this is it :lol:

If it is a metter of months, then the simple model it shall be !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts