Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stryder

Sorry for the "miss-quote"...should have been listed as the "G-Strider". With something as "cool" as this, I think I'd tow a UNIGO trailer to make up for the lack of storage.

·
Registered
689 Posts
When I was in Tokyo this past January I stopped at a local dealer and talked to the sales manager (only one who spoke English) and he told me that he heard Suzuki is trying to fit the Stryder 920cc engine in the new Burgman and it might be a 07 model.

·
Registered
806 Posts
pauljo said:
No trunk - no sale. I'm done with bikes that can't carry stuff.
I have NEVER owned a bike without a trunk. One reason why cruisers make absolutely no sense to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
burg650 said:
When I was in Tokyo this past January I stopped at a local dealer and talked to the sales manger (only one who spoke English) and he told me that he heard Suzuki is trying to fit the Stryder 920cc engine in the new Burgman and it might be a 07 model.
Feck, I'll have to check into that rumor. A 920cc Burgman would be well worth the 2-year wait.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Burg650 wrote (snipped)
he heard Suzuki is trying to fit the Stryder 920cc engine in the new Burgman and it might be a 07 model.
I just don't get this "thing" we seem to have with power and bigger engines. It seems every bike out there has riders that want bigger engines, more power. Were are they going ? to the next stop light, or a try out for amazing videos out running a police car ?
Right now the 650 will cruise at 90+, how far do you think you will get b/4 a state trooper picks you up.
Right now with very few exceptions the 650 can beat any cage off the line and get to the next stop sign first
So what do we need more for, because the manufacture thinks so? Because the adds say so?
Ahhhhhh, Maybe I'm just getting old :(

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Randy said:
I just don't get this "thing" we seem to have with power and bigger engines.
Up to a point, more power means more control and safer driving. I've got a pickup that used to be my only vehicle. It's got a 4 cyl 130ish HP engine that's not too bad, but in it I have to take extra time to pass, extra time to wait for openings long enough to merge into, and so on. In 2002 I bought the new Nissan Altima, with a 4cyl 175 HP engine and less weight than the truck. THIS car I feel safe in. It responds instantly to my desires, and moves deftly with and through traffic. It passes quickly, merges at speed no matter how much room it's had, and so on.

I also used to have a 250cc Honda Elite scooter. It would run 65mph but not have any more to pass with. It could beat many cars across an intersection, but would lose to the late-to-workers. It's lack of power limited where I felt safe to take it. The only defensive move available with it was to back-off the throttle when danger prevailed. My 650 solves all that, and does it more precisely than any 400cc or 500cc scooter felt like it would. As the scoots got bigger, they also got heavier. If a 400cc scooter has the same power/weight ratio as my 250cc scooter, it's not going to perform any better except maybe in top speed. The 650 and the Honda Silverwing have a SIGNIFICANTLY better power-to-weight ratio than all the others, and that puts them in that category of "enough power" for me.

After that, you're right. Nissan make a 6cyl Altima with 250 HP. It uses premium gas, and has a tendancy to torque steer. I can chirp the front tires if I'm too eager with my 4cyl, but the 6cyl will SMOKE the tires. In my mind that extra power is completely unnecessary.

Will a 750 or 900cc Burgman be any different? It might add the ability to drag a 5-ton trailer up a mountain, but until I need a scooter to do that, it's completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy,

You are getting old. So am I. :wink:

But I still appreciate the feel of a high performance vehicle. I was a "car guy" in my youth. Hot rods and muscle cars were prevalent then. The rumble of a big V-8 was music, and the feel when you let out the clutch against all that torque was exciting. Didn't need to race it to appreciate that. The car spoke to you and told you it could kick butt anytime you wished it to. Then I moved on to European sports sedans and motor cycles. Same thing in different flavors. I enjoy driving or riding a machine that offers more performance than I'll ever need or use. There is a level of excitement to that. The last bike that an old friend of mine had was a Ducati. His eyesight has failed now & he can't ride or drive anymore. But he loved that bike. He told me that every time he rolled it out of the garage he knew it would try to kill him if he gave it the chance. So he rode it with some caution & restraint, but he wouldn't have felt that same excitement with a lesser machine. I fully understand that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts