1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Why cant there be a central worldwide spot to buy these things. Obviously someone makes these. What are those electrical things? Im assuming heated hand grips? I wonder if the wind screen attachments are better than a givi.
Thanks for the info.
-Bryan

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
SAENG Winglet

I paid a visit to SAENG this week - they are located about 90 miles from where I live. Got to talk with Charles Saunders, the President of SAENG TA for about an hour about motorcycle wind management.

He said that if you put your hand parallel to the top of your screen when riding (put it in front of your helmet), and that gives enough improvement,
then the Winglet will probably do the job for you. If you need more, then the Wing-tip is the way to go. The SAENG Stealth Edging is for fine tuning if you have a shield that is very close to doing the job but you need an additional inch or so of lift. I put some stealth edging on the tall aftermarket screen I have on my V-Strom and I'm all set with that machine. I gave the Givi on my Burgman 650 the "hand test" and it would appear that the Winglet will do the trick, so I've ordered one.

The SAENG stuff is pricey, but it is nicely crafted, and both the Winglet and Wing-tip devices are tuneable - you can adjust their tilt in relation to the Windscreen. This can make a big difference in getting the proper venturi effect working. The less expensive Laminar Lip, which is their primary competition is fixed - not tuneable. The SAENG devices also mount on top of the screen - the Laminar Lip glues onto the front of the screen, extending just slightly beyond the top of the existing screen.

Spending $75 for the Laminar Lip vs $122 for the SAENG Winglet was tempting, but I think the Winglet will do the better job for me. We'll see.

It is also possible that the larger Wing-Tip would have worked for me on the stock 650 windscreen. But I had already purchased the Givi, and the wider Givi takes the wind off of my hands, arms & shoulders - a nice thing as the colder temperatures settle in.

·
Registered
857 Posts
What Model Givi works best?

I'm 6' 2" and need a broader (slightly) and about 3 inch taller windshield.

what Givi have you all used? I found a model D 257 ST Givi that may work, but wonder if anyone has an opinion? It is listed as being 31 inches high by 29 wide...

Thanks for any help. 200 miles on my new 650 Burgman and loving every mile.

·
Registered
25 Posts
D257

I am 6'2" also. Givi helped some for me but I am still not satisfied with it. Still have a lot of wind noise around helmet. Sometimes I get buffeting of my head. Givi is a lot quieter at speeds up to about 45 -50 then gets as noisy as original. Waiting for Clearview to come out with new windshield hopefully 1st quarter 04. Saved my original windshiled and will probably put it back on in summer if I don't get a Clearview that works. Seems like there's good and bad in each but nothing perfect for us tall people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts