Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for information on the site about the Luggage rack Suzuki sells for the Burgman 400, but could find nothing. They list it at about $145 usd. The questions I have are:

1. How easy is it to install?

2. How sturdy is it and how much will it carry (ie 1/2 case of beer). Does it have good hooks for bungies?

3. Is it well made so that it does not rust?

4. Does it make it much more difficult to clean the rear section of the scooter?

5. Do you have any pictures of it installed?

6. Are there any better after market alternatives?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Terry,

I've not seen one installed yet but they list the max carry weight at 5kg (ora little over 11 pounds). It looks like it installs the same way as the Givi mounts for the top boxes and requires mounting into the backrest. If so, you either have to remove the black plastic on back of the backrest or cut (2) 1 inch holes in it. The Suzuki Japan site has a much better image of it to see details for hook points:

You might also look at this thread where one forum member thought the surface was too small (9.5 x 8.5 inches) and added a large plate to it :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1984

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
From the looks of it adding a couple of simple chrome down tubes should let it handle a FULL case. :eek:
Don't think it would change the looks much either -mite even look better-

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed one on mine and once you get the plastic and backrest off there are predrilled holes & the rack just bolts on. I think it will handle more than 11 pounds. My BMW has always posted a limit for the back but I find that I have gone up to twice the limit with no handling problems. So 22 pounds should not be a problem.

I have made a 12x18 inch platform for mine which allows me many options. Right now I have 12 posts facing downward which I use with bungee cords with loops on the end rather than hooks. I got the idea for that after buying the bungee posts for the hand holds and found that hooks don't work. So I went to a boating store, bought a length of bungee cord and cut them to size. They sell the little metal staple devices that allows you to make the loop. One of these days I will post a photo.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I guess your right, Since you installed one you have a better "feel" then looking at pictures, but I question if the mounting is as solid as on a BMW. on my BMW it mounts from under the saddle bag bolts on both sides, I don't see that kind of mounting strength on the Burgman .

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Burgman 400 Luggage Rack

sandberg said:
I installed one on mine and once you get the plastic and backrest off there are predrilled holes & the rack just bolts on. .
Are you saying that you must remove the passenger backrest to install the luggage rack? Do you have to drill any holes or permanently remove the back plate on the passenger backrest to install the rack?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ooooo!! Sheer co-incidence, I installed mine just two days ago.

It's a very well put together kit and includes new plastic panels pre-drilled for the four mounting points - you replace the old panels with the new ones.
It's held by four massive 14mm bolts that mount it to the solid backrest support, into holes that are already pre-cast in there.
It has a sticker saying 5kg only. It will make changing a rear indicator bulb more fiddly.
It's quite pretty, the curves seem to match the curve of the backrest quite nicely, I'll put some photos on.

dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
Piccies posted. I gently sat on mine (95kg :shock: ) and apart from a litle creaking, there was no problem. But I wouldn't recommend it.....

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Burgmupp/IMGP0620

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Burgmupp/IMGP0623

The whole thing took about 15-20 minutes, you need a Phillips screwdriver and a 14mm socket driver.
1. Take off the grey rear lower plastic cover (2 x clips).
2. Poke Phillips screwdriver inside to un-do screw that secures long flat bar connected to backrest pad. (On mine this screw was missing....) Fit new supplied lower plastic cover with pre-drilled holes in it.
3. Pull backrest pad off - it's held on by two rubber press-fit grommets (and the bar mentioned above).
4. Unscrew the grey rear upper plastic cover (2 x Phillips self tappers) and fit supplied new upper plastic cover with two holes pre-drilled in it.
5. Remove front backrest cover (2 x large Phillips and 2 x clips) Needs a little easing / bending to clear the rubber underseat gasket while removing, and exposes the seat release mechanism if you want to add a cable for the emergency seat release mod.
6. Offer up new rear carrier into the four holes in the new rear covers.
7. Secure rear carrier with 4 supplied 14mm bolts. Can't remember the torque.
8. Re-fit front backrest cover.
9. Re-fit backrest pad. The instructions tell you to re-secure the long bar by inserting the Phillips from the opposite direction to where you took it out, through the gap next to the seat latch mechanism. This is extremely fiddly, and I didn't bother. The two rubber grommets seem to hold it firmly enough. Please don't nick my backrest pad if you see my bike parked up... :)

It has four bungy pegs, and feels very secure, it's rigidly bolted to the big cast frame of the back rest and nicely follows the lines of the bike, with a "original equipment" look and feel to it.

Don't know if this should be moved to the Aftermarket and Accessories forum, I'll let Bill decide.

dave

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Thanks for the pics and install instructions Dave. The luggage rack looks good to me. It might be a good option allowing more carrying space without effecting gas milage like a topcase would in day to day use.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the information, pictures, and instructions on how to install the luggage rack. Would like to see a picture from the rear, to see how it mates up with the passenger backrest. Knowing that they provide new plates makes me feel better, as it is so nicely finished now and would not want to lose that look to install a luggage rack.

I think I will buy one, as I have always had one on my motorcycles and it provides a space for those objects which do not fit nicely into the trunk. Thanks again for your help. :p

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Thanks

Terry Eade said:
Would like to see a picture from the rear, to see how it mates up with the passenger backrest.
Terry,

Dave provided a good pic of the luggage rack from the rear in the post above.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I wish Suzuki would have made something similar to fit the 650 . I like the looks of the 400 rack.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Thanks for the extra pics Dave!

·
Registered
699 Posts
It might be a good option allowing more carrying space without effecting gas milage like a topcase would in day to day use.
I'd suggest getting whatever will be more convenient for handling your cargo concerns. Fuel economy seems like a insignificant issue if you look, instead, at how many dollars and cents it would cost you versus some out-of-context MPG numbers. If gas is $3.00 per gallon, it costs $46 to ride 1,000 miles @ 65 MPG. If you give up 5 MPG to 60 MPG, your fuel cost increases by only $4 to $50. For 10,000 miles, the difference is still only $40.

Hardly worth losing sleep over, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
This is almost a ten year old topic. That's probably why the links don't work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts