Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up changing Burgmans oil and filter yesterday on wifes scoot. I used a strap wrench but didnt like how it worked with such a small filter. Any idea where I could get a filter wrench that fits the 650 Burgman small filter. Any help would be much appreicated.

Helix
:D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Take a filter to an auto store and see if you can't find one. I have the 400 so am not sure of the size of the 650 filter, but on my toyota and mazda, both of which use really small filters, I have a metal filter wrench that fits on a 3/8 socket wrench and the "ears" are spring loaded to fit a wide variety of filters.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I ended up just buying one at my Suzuki dealers parts counter. I did try all the auto stores but couldnt find one to fit. They may have been sold out. I forget the price but it was not outrageous.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey, habu!
If the filter wrench you bought at Wal Mart worked, how about sharing some information so others might find one. I also seem to notice that your profile shows "Helix". Are we talking about the AN650 here?

Jerry in FL

·
Registered
65 Posts
The "wrench" is black and fits over the end of the filter but does not have any handle or strap attached. It looks like a cup. It does have a cut-out in the center for a ratchet driver. Inside the cup are the the numbers 65 67 14 with an arrow between the 67 and the 14. It's plastic. Last time I used it I put a piece of duct tape over two of the inside surfaces to help it grip the filter better (this was on the Miata). If you bring a new filter in when you go to buy one you can check to be sure it will fit.

I checked my profile and didn't find anything that looked like "helix" there. I've got an '04 Black 650 that just keeps getting better.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the type filter "wrench" we are talking about. I was just hoping you maybe had a Part No. or something from the one you found at Wal Mart. Guess I will just have to buy a "Genuine" Suzuki filter for my 650 and then take it to an auto parts store and try looking for a fit. That's the way I found the one I needed for my Silver Wing. I am assuming that the filter is a special one made just for the 650, because I have never heard of a filter that needed to be turned two complete turns after first contact is made with the mounting surface. BTW: The Suzuki oil filter wrench Part No. is 09915-40610. I'm going to check with my Dealer for the price, but I suspect it will be about twice what most filter wrenches of this type cost. That was the case with the Honda one.
Sorry about the Helix reference. I could have sworn that I saw that in your first Post.

Jerry in FL

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey, Habu
Now I know where I got the "Helix" from...it was the name of the original Author who started this thread.

Jerry in FL

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got my filter at Auto Zone for less than $5.00. That's the one I took to WM. It was an STP filter, part #SMO-18. Others reported to fit, on another thread are, Fram PH6018, NAPA Gold 1359, Purolater ML16818 and WIX 51539. Can't vouch for any of them as usable since I only bought the STP.

Habu

·
Registered
314 Posts
javascript:emoticon(':?:')

And you did the two complete turns when you installed it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
do not remember what the # of turns was, but like all my filters I turned it until it made contact and then snugged it tight by hand and turned it maybe 1/8 turn more with a wrench. Haven't had a filter leak in over 40 years of following this routine. They usually require a wrench to remove after 5,000 or so miles of use but after maybe 1/2 turns with the wrench I can finish the removal by hand. If the original install is not tight enough I figure I'll know soon enough and can snug the filter up some more. That's why I always leave a piece of newspaper under the machine (car or scoot) for a day or two after an oil change to spot any drips.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Like you, I have always done it the way the most oil filter instructions "warn" you to do....make contact, then hand snug as tight as possible and then an 1/8 to 1/4 a turn more with a filter wrench. Never had one leak! It just struck me as being completely different the way Suzuki instructions tell you to do 2 full turns after making contact. Maybe that will come out almost the same as our method. I'll see the first time I change the oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts