Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Suzuki Extended Protection plan a good deal? Any links to exactly what it covers and how much it costs?

Bob

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randy said:
Suzuki Extended Protection plan
http://www.layamaha.com/warranty/enter.html
just one of many :?
Thanks for the link Randy. That answers my question on cost. The other thing I need to know is when they say "Suzuki will take care of the entire cost of covered parts and repairs" what are the "covered parts and repairs"?
Bob

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
According to the sales manager at my dealer, there are certain items that are specifically excluded. And if I recall, one of those items is gauges - and his interpretation was that the fancy digital dash on the AN650 is not covered. At least that is what I understood him to say. I would definitely recommend that you go to your dealership and ask questions about that before purchasing the coverage. You want to understand exactly what protections you are getting, before making an extended warranty purchase decision.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
and his interpretation was that the fancy digital dash on the AN650 is not covered.
Does the original warranty cover gages , according to my dealer you are getting the same coverage that you had for the first year.
Mechanics' that don't know the machine -sale people who don't know what they are talking about-
I know we are only the lowly customer but how do we know what's true.

it's getting to be a lot to put up with :(

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I found this link. Scanned copy (a little fuzzy but readable) of the Suzuki Extended Warranty Plan contract, dated 6/1/2002. First page lists the exclusions. I didn't see gauges mentioned, but they do regard body parts, windshields and belts as maintenance items - not covered. I would hope that the CVT belt would be covered - but maybe it is not.

http://www.koups.com/service/ext_war/policies.html

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Did you really read # 7
That alone has got to make you think,
But I have yet to find anything telling me what is covered

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randy said:
Did you really read # 7
That alone has got to make you think,
But I have yet to find anything telling me what is covered
I couldn't make it out. What did # 7 say?

Bob

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Randy said:
...I know we are only the lowly customer but how do we know what's true. ...
By reading before signing any agreements. Regardless of what someone says or doesn't say, it's what's in the contract you sign that's enforceable.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
By reading before signing any agreements. Regardless of what someone says or doesn't say, it's what's in the contract you sign that's enforceable.
A true statement from a legal standpoint. I think one problem though, is that some of the wording in the contract leaves a lot of latitude for interpretation. That kind of reduces it to a "Good Faith" agreement in my opinion. And Randy has a point. The contract focuses on what is NOT covered, not what IS covered.

Based on just reading the contract, I'd be reluctant to pay the equivalent of a new Corbin seat for it.... On the other hand, I think Suzuki does have a reputation for stepping up to the plate and resolving warranty issues - sometimes going a bit beyond their legal obligation.

My decision was not to buy the extended warranty contract on my V-Strom. I won't be buying it on my Burgman either, because the 3 year maintenance agreement I purchased duplicates much of the extended warranty coverage. But it is an individual decision - and the verbage used in that contract isn't much help. Either you have faith in Suzuki to do the right thing - or not. But reading the contract leaves you with the impression that it is an extremely "limited" warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought the ESP after having the bike for 10 months. I figured one repair would probably pay for itself. I paid $525 plus sales tax for it. I really like the fact that you can purchase it at anytime within the first year. I know I like the bike and plan to keep it long, so I figured why not.

I only have about 1500 miles on it and had the 600 mile service done when it was required.

BTW: I'm really not into extended warrantys but I figure the MSRP was 7699 and it cost about 7.5% of the total price, so for 3 more years of piece of mind or about $20/month.

tat-2
aka
Ed

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
That brings to mind one other point, so far I have prices from 365.00 all the way to 1468.00 seeming all for the same extended warranty plan .
But I may be wrong there (after carefully looking) There is a SEP (Suzuki Extended Protection) and then some that don't say SEP but seem to be the same.
confusion reins :?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I paid $399 for a 4 year SEP at the time of purchase. Some dealers (not my local one) offer their own plans that are equal to or often better than the SEP. Dealer plans sometimes include all maintainence for the bike. Oil, filters, labor are free while new tires are not covered; but they may offer free mounting.

·
Registered
793 Posts
For my AN400K3 which is going on 6 months old, I'm going to continue
working on my own bike.
This ought to Pay For Itself too, without having to finance the agreement
into the sales contract.

The only folks I'd trust with my 400's service would be Tucson Motorsports
here in town but they quoted me nearly $800 for the Suzuki coverage of
2 more years. Drew and the Crew in Safford Arizona is a new authorized
shop and I like them but they're 2 hours away.
After having my AN650's transmission drain bolt attached loosely by another
"authorized" service shop last year, causing a leak, I've gotten both manuals
for both bikes and treat my current Burgman 400 like a youngster, not allowing it
out of my sight.

If a major repair like the Instrument Panel needs replacement, I'll spend time
looking for a wrecked 400 to strip it off of.

25 years ago I lived and worked in Chicago. I let Carrs Honda do all the
service on my CB400A but my dollars went farther back then and the bike
was only $1550 new.

After jumping in and doing my own tappet adjustements on my Burgy, I'm not fearful
of damaging anything any longer.
Don't let these retailers spin you guys into dropping $500+ just because
a Burgman seems to be built like a Rubik's Cube when you first start
working on it yourself.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy said:
That brings to mind one other point, so far I have prices from 365.00 all the way to 1468.00 seeming all for the same extended warranty plan .
But I may be wrong there (after carefully looking) There is a SEP (Suzuki Extended Protection) and then some that don't say SEP but seem to be the same.
I've explained this before, but to save searching for old posts -

There is SEP. It simply extends the original factory warranty for 2 more years. It typically retails in the $300 to $500 range. Price is somewhat negotiable. It is transferable if you sell the machine within the 3 years (for a $35 fee I believe).

Then there is the Priority Maintenance Plan (PMP). It also extends warranty coverage for 2 more years. In addition it covers all scheduled maintenance for three years (parts, labor, tax - everything). You can get additional oil changes between scheduled intervals - no cost. You can get tires mounted free if you purchase them at the dealer. You get a 10% discount on parts & accessories (helmets, jackets, wax, polish, tiedowns - whatever). Your service gets prioritized ahead of people who don't have this plan. You get a lot more with PMP - and it costs more. Typical cost is between $800 and $1200. I paid $899. In less than a year, I've had 3 scheduled services (600 mile, 4000 mile, 7500 mile), two additional oil changes (right before and after Winter storage), and one new tire mounted. I get invoices showing what the cost of the service is - but they are stamped "Paid". I've also received the 10% discount on a number of items that I've purchased at the dealership. At my dealership, they let me pick any oil I want at service time - I'm running all Silkolene synthetics at this point, which are expensive. I love it. I drop the scooter off for service, pick it up when its ready, and ride away - no need to see the cashier. And unlike SEP, PMP is very specific about what it DOES cover. It is also transferable if you sell the machine while the plan is in effect. I am not sure what the transfer fee is.

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Randy said:
I've explained this before, but to save searching for old posts -

There is SEP. It simply extends the original factory warranty for 2 more years. It typically retails in the $300 to $500 range. Price is somewhat negotiable. It is transferable if you sell the machine within the 3 years (for a $35 fee I believe).

Then there is the Priority Maintenance Plan (PMP). It also extends warranty coverage for 2 more years. In addition it covers all scheduled maintenance for three years (parts, labor, tax - everything). You can get additional oil changes between scheduled intervals - no cost. You can get tires mounted free if you purchase them at the dealer. You get a 10% discount on parts & accessories (helmets, jackets, wax, polish, tiedowns - whatever). Your service gets prioritized ahead of people who don't have this plan. You get a lot more with PMP - and it costs more. Typical cost is between $800 and $1200. I paid $899. In less than a year, I've had 3 scheduled services (600 mile, 4000 mile, 7500 mile), two additional oil changes (right before and after Winter storage), and one new tire mounted. I get invoices showing what the cost of the service is - but they are stamped "Paid". I've also received the 10% discount on a number of items that I've purchased at the dealership. At my dealership, they let me pick any oil I want at service time - I'm running all Silkolene synthetics at this point, which are expensive. I love it. I drop the scooter off for service, pick it up when its ready, and ride away - no need to see the cashier. And unlike SEP, PMP is very specific about what it DOES cover. It is also transferable if you sell the machine while the plan is in effect. I am not sure what the transfer fee is.
Proble HERE in California is this. I called my selling dealer today who tells me the law has changed (HERE). It ONLY allows a contract for $549.00 for 3 services. The REAL problem is they must be done in 12 months. PERIOD. I only ride maybe 4000 per year. I would screw myself hard doing this. But I checked it out at least....Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
Problem HERE in California is this. I called my selling dealer today who tells me the law has changed (HERE). It ONLY allows a contract for $549.00 for 3 services. The REAL problem is they must be done in 12 months. PERIOD. I only ride maybe 4000 per year. I would screw myself hard doing this. But I checked it out at least....Mike
Not such a great deal. I don't think I'd go for that one. Who the heck makes laws like that anyway? And Why? Makes you really wonder who is scratching who's back...

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Pappy said:
Problem HERE in California is this. I called my selling dealer today who tells me the law has changed (HERE). It ONLY allows a contract for $549.00 for 3 services. The REAL problem is they must be done in 12 months. PERIOD. I only ride maybe 4000 per year. I would screw myself hard doing this. But I checked it out at least....Mike
Not such a great deal. I don't think I'd go for that one. Who the heck makes laws like that anyway? And Why? Makes you really wonder who is scratching who's back...
SO true, I AM passing and big time. I have GOT to find a dealer I know WILL do what I pay them to do. I'll pay top dollar, I just want to KNOW the work I pay for IS being done. Having caught my dealer NOT doing so on more than 1 occasion, I have serious worries now with this hi tech toy. THIS is why I was buying a Honda. BUT, I just couldn't turm my back on this scooter. I was in love, I was young again, I was screwed..... :roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
I have GOT to find a dealer I know WILL do what I pay them to do. I'll pay top dollar, I just want to KNOW the work I pay for IS being done.
This may or may not work for you - but it's a thought. My last motorcycle was a Kawasaki Concours. I bought it slightly used (and not from a Kawasaki dealership). There were no Kawasaki dealerships near where I lived. But there was an guy in the next town who did motorcycle service. He used to be a service manager at a Honda dealer who went out of business - they were a good dealership, but the owners decided to retire. So he set up his own service shop. He worked mostly on Hondas, and specifically Gold Wings. Folks would take their motorcycles to him, because they trusted him - and he charged fair rates. So I stopped in one day and asked him if he would service my Kawasaki. He looked it over, and asked me if I had a service manual. I did. He serviced that bike for 6 years, and each time I brought it in for a major service interval I brought him the service manual. I only had to go to a Kawasaki dealer once, when I needed something fixed under warranty.

So if you trust the Honda dealership, or any other non-Suzuki shop, go chat with them. Tell them you'll provide a service manual if they'll do your maintenance. See what they say. It's worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts