Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Burgman 400 in October 2013 brand new from the dealer. I was a little intimidated by the heavier size of the 650 so I went with the 400.

I added a Givi AF266 to my 400 and really like the bike. Still, I want to buy another bike this spring and have it down to the Burg 650 and the Honda CTX700 DCT. My dealer has a leftover '13 650 for a decent price which puts the cost of the CTX700 DCT or Burg 650 as a dead heat.

I'm leaning towards the Burg 650 because I like my '400 so much but the Honda CTX 700 DCT looks enticing as well.

Have any of you considered the CTX700 DCT? How does the HP and top end of the CTX compare to the 650? Would resale of the Honda be better than the Burgman 650?

I'm going to keep the Burg 400 for now but may end up selling it if I like the 650 more than my 400.

My three main complaints about my '12 400:

1. Stock windshield was terrible- Fixed issue with Givi AF266:)

2. Not enough HP- I would like another 10HP for highway riding

3. Suspension- not the best on crappy roads

Any comments about the CTX700 or Burg 650 concerning items 1-3 are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While these bikes may look very different they similar sized engines and are fully automatic. Street purchase price are also very similar.

In addition, seat height is within 1 inch of one another.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Never had dealings with the Honda but by the picture you posted there is not near as much protection from the elements as the Burgman. and it looks like it would be hard to add an aftermarket windshield if one was available. Jay

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never had dealings with the Honda but by the picture you posted there is not near as much protection from the elements as the Burgman.
That I very much true but as I own a Burg 400 the CXT or Burg 650 would be my second bike.

Sitting position on the CXT should be good and the DCT is a nice automatic with 6 speed manual mode on the grip.

Honda is claiming 60 mpg with the CTX which is as good as my Burg 400.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The Burgmans have a much more convenient step-through...
the CTX requires a high throw-over of your leg.....that would
never work for this 68 year old.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I sat on the Honda CTX700 in the showroom and felt that the forward pegs would be hard to keep your feet on and would be uncomfortable. Note, my normal riding foot position on Burgmans is on the forward/raised portion of the floorboards and use other foot positions when needed to change my riding position for short breaks on longer rides.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'd never touch a bike with that engine. It is revlimited to 6500 RPM and the DCT is no camparison to the Burgman ECVT.

My son and and I both agree that the CX700 we test drove were the worst test rides ever.
Yet the CB500X for me was one of the best test drives and in my view if you are willing to shift - a reasonable alternative to the Burgman 650 as it's half the price before tricking out with screen and luggage.

It's lighter, better sprung, same horsepower and free revving to 8500. But you have to be willing to shift.

I did not like the VRF1200DCT either because I found the DCT clunky and awkward compared to the turbine like smoothness of the 650 ECVT.

The paddle shifting worked well but the DCT could not downshift worth a **** byi itself. My conclusion was that Honda doesn't do automatics.
Remember the DCT is just an automatic clutch - it does not feature the ground breaking advantage of the ECVT.

I think Honda made the best of a bad motor choice ( it's half of one their car motors ) moving it into a cruiser form and pairing the 700 motor with the DCT so the rev limiting would not be so obvious but make sure you ride both before making a decision.

The Honda is likely better sprung....I don't like their choice of maintaining a foot brake for the rear brake. Braking with both hands is very natural and controllable.

If it were me, Burgman 650 Exec in a haeart beat. Best all around bike I've ridden in 45 years of riding.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd never touch a bike with that engine. It is revlimited to 6500 RPM and the DCT is no camparison to the Burgman ECVT.

My son and and I both agree that the CX700 we test drove were the worst test rides ever.
Yet the CB500X for me was one of the best test drives and in my view if you are willing to shift - a reasonable alternative to the Burgman 650 as it's half the price before tricking out with screen and luggage.

It's lighter, better sprung, same horsepower and free revving to 8500. But you have to be willing to shift.

I did not like the VRF1200DCT either because I found the DCT clunky and awkward compared to the turbine like smoothness of the 650 ECVT.

The paddle shifting worked well but the DCT could not downshift worth a **** byi itself. My conclusion was that Honda doesn't do automatics.
Remember the DCT is just an automatic clutch - it does not feature the ground breaking advantage of the ECVT.

I think Honda made the best of a bad motor choice ( it's half of one their car motors ) moving it into a cruiser form and pairing the 700 motor with the DCT so the rev limiting would not be so obvious but make sure you ride both before making a decision.

The Honda is likely better sprung....I don't like their choice of maintaining a foot brake for the rear brake. Braking with both hands is very natural and controllable.

If it were me, Burgman 650 Exec in a haeart beat. Best all around bike I've ridden in 45 years of riding.

Thank You. I really appreciate the post. I'm pretty much convinced I'll be adding a '13 Burg 650 in white to sit next to my '12 Burg 400 in silver.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The above image is the Honda CTX1300. Unfortunately, I think this is the type of bike I would need to buy in order to make leaving the Burgman family worthwhile. It is unlikely any of us including myself wants a Honda CTX1300 over the Burg 650.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2014-honda-ctx1300-first-look-review/

I think for me personally that I would need the $19,000 version of the Honda CTX1300 to truly do better than the Burgman 650.

The CTX1300 offers plenty of power, great seat with backrest, audio with Bluetooth, heated seat, etc. This $19,000 CTX is a smaller Goldwing and would be my first choice if I decide on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have a Burgman because I like to ride scooters. I have a V-Star because I like to ride motorcycles. Whether or not I need to change gears is not an issue. After 40+ years, changing gears is automatic whether I do it or the bike does it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Here's the correct image

It's a 700cc cruiser. I'd take the 650 Burgman in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Honda doesn't make use of the dual clutch gearbox ability to make rapid gear changes, much unlike Volkswagens 6 and 7 speed DSG auto boxes.
On my test drive, I was almost rear-ended by the car I just overtook, because rolling the throttle back resulted in heavy engine braking, as the Honda stayed in the low passing gear instead of gearing up like the Burgman 650 does.

It was happy enough to gear down, and also to rapidly gear up from standing star.
I didn't like the hard vibrations from the engine, which feels like a big thumper.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I test rode a bike with the DCT and absolutely hated it. Going around corners I felt that it was definitely in the wrong gear and that it hunted all over the place. I have no idea why Honda doesn't go with a proven CVT in bikes that they want to sell to newbies. I think the DCT is way too complicated, just as I now feel that the Burgman 650 has an overly complex transmission. I would have a 400 or a Silverwing now if I had another scooter. I never had any problem on the highway with my 400, it was one of the most comfortable rides I've ever had. That said, the difference between the engines in the 400 and 650 I had was night and day powerwise. And the weight melts away once you're moving.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I felt that it was definitely in the wrong gear and that it hunted all over the place.
yup - hunted and erratic - one time it works - next time wrong gear - even with the power of the 1200 it was a pain

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may have ended up with a Honda CXT700 DCT but now after these posts and thorough discussion I will stick with a Maxi Scooter.

Local dealer has a 2013 Honda Silverwing for $8600 plus tax, tag and title. My current ride is a 2012 Burgman 400 and I prefer to add a '13 Burg 650 to my garage. Even though the '13 Silverwing looks tempting at $8600 I'll get the Burg 650.

My preference is for a Burg 800/850 with better shocks and audio/sound but that isn't available.

I appreciate all the posts here as the Honda CXT 700 is no longer an option for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts