Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I just bought a Burgman 2012 model brand new. Use it daily for 25-30 mile roundtrip to work.

Question:
When I accelerate to 70mph, I find lot of wind resistance than at 65 (I understand the faster you go, the more wind resistance...). But I feel unsafe at 70 and feel the scooter could sway and I may get injured on interstate.Any tips on riding style, gear,etc.. to feel more safe?

Live in Nashville.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just back from a 408 mile day trip on Tuesday to Colorado and back. Overall time 8 hours 20 minutes. I kept the tach at 7500 to 8500 rpm constantly, which is about 70 to 80 mph. It feels like it could cruise at that speed forever. The seat is comfortable, high speed stability is excellent. Trip fuel economy was 56.9 mpg. You and I have a GREAT long distance touring motorcyle, in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
My 400 does not have any problems running 70+ mph. Ran it 184 miles with the speedo indicating between 80 and 90. Would have gone further but it uses a lot of gas at that speed and the tank ran dry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yoda,

I'm curious if the higher altitude helps in your speed and stability vs jineshparkh at the relatively lowland Nashville? I am still debating between the 400 and 650 although leaning toward the 400 for most of it's purpose will be for non-interstate commuting, but I am curious if anyone else has this stability issue. If not I wonder if it is bike specific to jineshparkh? Good to know though for test driving ....

·
Registered
169 Posts
I believe the only effect that my elevation would have, would be lowered performance, and slightly better fuel economy. (Fuel injection will only give proportionately as much fuel as air is taken in.)

However, we DO have winds here in New Mexico, and the Burgman is affected as much as any other motorcycle or touring scooter. I have been blown around some on the Interstates in strong crosswinds, but no more than my 100 pound heavier Honda NT700 I had last year.

I am looking forward to riding at lower elevations someday - I think the performance would be even more amazing than here at 5,000+ feet!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Rode mine up the freeway in San Diego with my wife on it at 75mph with 5-6 lanes on each side and had no problems and rode to Big Bend with other Burgman 650 riders at interstate speeds. The bike can handle it but can you? You sound like a novice and probably should work on your confidence by easing into it. No harm or loss of ego to enhance your riding skills in wind and riding the super slab. It just takes hours in the saddle to hone your skill set.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
But I feel unsafe at 70 and feel the scooter could sway and I may get injured on interstate.Any tips on riding style, gear,etc.. to feel more safe?

Live in Nashville.
Ride a lot and work your way into it.
Many do not realize how violent and turbulent a freeway is when there is no cage around you.

Earplugs will help reduce the tension and just getting saddle time will be the ticket.

The bike is fine....the rider needs some experience.

Have fun and besides - slabs are boring - you'll find it strange how much further away home gets ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
However, we DO have winds here in New Mexico, and the Burgman is affected as much as any other motorcycle or touring scooter.
I lived on the Wyoming/Colorado Border for a little over a year ... I REMEMBER those winds! They seem to suck the energy right out of you ...

From an engineering perspective your drag would be somewhat less at higher elevation but I REALLY doubt you could tell the difference in riding or how the speeds affect you from that alone (unlike the lack of O2 to burn .. which I'm sure you can feel).

I have ZERO experience at freeway speeds so it is good for me to learn to ease into it until comfortable! Another newbie question, is there a possible mechanical issue that might manifest at the higher speeds? I'm just curious as the poster is also new with a new bike, (And I will be doing the same soon) so was wondering if I have a similar experience of what to double check. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I agree with post of the post here. I took me a year before I felt truly comfortable riding the 400 on the freeway. The stock tires are very good, but I did switched to Dunlop Scooter line. Maybe something to consider when it's time to replace them.

It's a fine touring bike, very stable at speed. But the windscreen does buffet a bit. Strong winds will knock any bike about. I don't fine the 400 excessive in this regard.

I've done 350 mile days on it. I'm sure it would go cross country just fine should I ever find the time.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Folks,
I just bought a Burgman 2012 model brand new. Use it daily for 25-30 mile roundtrip to work.

Question:
When I accelerate to 70mph, I find lot of wind resistance than at 65 (I understand the faster you go, the more wind resistance...). But I feel unsafe at 70 and feel the scooter could sway and I may get injured on interstate.Any tips on riding style, gear,etc.. to feel more safe?

Live in Nashville.
Check your tire pressure! Even 5-8psi low will make things dance around.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have ZERO experience at freeway speeds so it is good for me to learn to ease into it until comfortable! Another newbie question, is there a possible mechanical issue that might manifest at the higher speeds? I'm just curious as the poster is also new with a new bike, (And I will be doing the same soon) so was wondering if I have a similar experience of what to double check. Thanks!
I have ridden my stock 400 at 90 mph for fairly extended periods, and it gets a little squirrelly, probably due to tire size, but its still pretty stable.

85+ or so is no problem, save for wind buffeting. Bigger screen and such, would affect those numbers.

If you're uncomfortable at those speeds, I'd error on inexperience rather than bike problems. The 400 is a very stable platform for the most part.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes 100% - and a bit high will get pretty squirrelly when it heats up on the freeway.
Those small tires get hot real quick

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I should add, although the bike will do 91+ mph, I don't recommend it. Both I and the bike somewhat objected to it. The machine had a funny smell afterwards and I, as a 30+ year riding veteran, was uncomfortable doing it. I've ridden fast bikes, 130 mph, and the burgman 400 ain't one.

I suggest keeping it to its sweet spot, 85 or less. Much more comfortable. And plus your mileage just s.cks at those high speeds. It's a great bike for what it was designed for, just don't push it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The wind noise has been mentioned...Many will agree that some of the most bang for the buck you can spend (and should, sooner than later) is on a windscreen. Many such as myself swear by the Givi AF266. It's an adjustable two-piece. It does not buffet around like the stock one does so, adds a sense of stability. With much less wind noise to the head you can actually easily hear the engine at all speeds. The higher noise level of the stock windscreen always made me feel somewhat disconnected from the bike. Finally, it provides good wind protection for the hands. Kiwi Dave (member of this forum) has been found to have the best price.

Like others, I've got lots of highway miles on my 400 with no complaints including, Interstates at 80mph. She'll do it confidently all day long. Generally, avoiding the Interstates is not for lack of capability on the bike's part but, for experiencing the more pleasurable ride of the lesser highways.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Like most everyone had said, time and experience will boost your confidence and comfort levels.

My first time doing 65-70 on a busy rush-hour interstate scared the stuff outta me - now, doing it feels like nothing at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Super tips, I love this forum, very interactive. Hope to share my updated experience, once I get more accustomed to my scooter and achieve more confidence....

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Best advice I can give you for riding on the Interstate or in high winds for that matter is to relax and let the bike do the work. Keep your upper body and arms relaxed. If you do that the bike will run a lot straighter than it does when you tense up.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Best advice I can give you for riding on the Interstate or in high winds for that matter is to relax and let the bike do the work. Keep your upper body and arms relaxed. If you do that the bike will run a lot straighter than it does when you tense up.
Yup, great advice.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts