Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
will be of some potential interest to a buyer who was influenced by price alone in whatever location those prices prevail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Price differential being basically moot, a major consideration IMHO is that on the BMW, you have a 100% Automatic tranny.
NO option of Manual/paddle shifting, or Power button.
Also, Suzuki has had 10 years to mostly get the 650 "fine tuned" so to speak.
The BMW is a first year model and as such, the buyer will surely be a BETA tester.
Just my $0.02 worth. :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
BerndM said:
Price differential being basically moot, a major consideration IMHO is that on the BMW, you have a 100% Automatic tranny.
NO option of Manual/paddle shifting, or Power button.
Also, Suzuki has had 10 years to mostly get the 650 "fine tuned" so to speak.
The BMW is a first year model and as such, the buyer will surely be a BETA tester.
Just my $0.02 worth. :D
I concur on the "beta testing" aspect.

The transmission issue is just a matter of preference, but being able to do the equivalent of swapping to lighter variator roller weights in real time (power button) or locking the pulleys into a set position (manual mode, particularly "OD") is more useful than one might think.*
The BMW drive belts are inspect/replace every 12,500 miles, the Suzuki's is "lifetime" (in practice, at least 50,000 miles) but quite expensive to get at when they finally do wear out. Just a question of whether you want to have your belt maintenance to be a one-day shop visit every year and a half, or one entire week at the six-year point.

* OD doesn't really help that much with fuel economy, but it's really useful to bypass the engine-braking when you have to take your right hand off the throttle for a moment or two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder if all the people who have experienced catastrophic transmission failure around 25,000 miles would agree, or those who have seen the resale value of a 650 with this many miles fall off the earth?

A friend started having trouble about 6,000 miles and had it documented at the dealer. When it totally fell apart at 21,000 it was out of warranty but the problem was the same and Suzuki would not cover it. $4,000 repair bill then occurred. All the changes to the 2013 model do not seem to have addressed these failures and what is the need of an over complex transmission like this to begin with?

I agree BMW in beta but Suzuki is in the clouds with their recent price hike on the 650 it seems to me, especially considering all the left over models still at dealers and the lack of addressing the tranny problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
westnash said:
I wonder if all the people who have experienced catastrophic transmission failure around 25,000 miles would agree, or those who have seen the resale value of a 650 with this many miles fall off the earth?

A friend started having trouble about 6,000 miles and had it documented at the dealer. When it totally fell apart at 21,000 it was out of warranty but the problem was the same and Suzuki would not cover it. $4,000 repair bill then occurred. All the changes to the 2013 model do not seem to have addressed these failures and what is the need of an over complex transmission like this to begin with?

I agree BMW in beta but Suzuki is in the clouds with their recent price hike on the 650 it seems to me, especially considering all the left over models still at dealers and the lack of addressing the tranny problem.
AMEN!!!!!!!

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
+2

Regarding BMW scooter being a "beta", when you look at the number of changes to the 650 since its introduction, it would appear either Suzuki got it right the first time...or they just never changed.

Chris

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
all???

would you like to document any others "around 25,000 miles" that show your friend is not a one off :roll:

a one time event that was a problem from the get go does not constitute an ALL. Sounds more to me like a problem dealer.

it constitutes fear mongering.

I have 60,000 km on two different 650s - without a single issue beyond wear out like tires, brakes and batteries and there are hundreds more like me.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
MacDoc said:
all???

would you like to document any others "around 25,000 miles" that show your friend is not a one off :roll:

a one time event that was a problem from the get go does not constitute an ALL. Sounds more to me like a problem dealer...
You can attack the data that I gathered from spending an evening tallying it all up, but you can't attack the source...650 owners who posted on this forum that they had a failure. I just did a quick count in my spreadsheet and counted 47 failures below 40,000 miles that we know of by simply searching through the forum here. If you doubt the accuracy of the data, each entry has a link to the thread where it was reported. And since I quit keeping track of the failures, there's been a few more.

Most people would not call it just a "one off".

Chris

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
MacDoc said:
My '03 I bought brand new went at 26K, I bought a '06 that went at 54K, I bought a parts bike '03 that went at 40K, and I rebuilt one for another board members '07 that went at 62K. Any questions?

Buffalo said:

Ha ha figured this would be good eh. :D

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
helmethead said:
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 MSRP $11,000 BMW gt650 MSRP -with highline package $10,600 - Comments?
When you get back to the OP's original post, $400 is a drop in the bucket.

What makes more difference to me is which bike catches your eye when you walk up to it. Which bike fits you the best ergonomically. And if you get a test ride, which one "feels" right for the kind of riding you do.

You can easily make up the $400 difference in just the add-on fees different dealerships will tack on, and that some dealerships will skip.

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
MJR said:
Ha ha figured this would be good eh. :D
We've been through this so many times before and it always turns out the same. Those that think the 650 CVT is complicated and prone to breakage are not going to change their minds. Those that think it is a simple design with no statistically valid data to show it is any more prone to failure than other designs are not going to change theirs. It will just turn into folks throwing comments back and forth at each other. Kind of like discussions of tire dark siding.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Generally speaking, a BMW is considered more upscale than mainstream mass marketed products whether they are cars or motorcycles. If the price is similar, the BMW would normally be considered a better value. I think BMW's target customer is someone who buys upscale products (yuppie factor) to impress and Wow people. I have a friend who is approaching the age where a scooter would be a good addition to his garage to go along with his GS. He will not consider a Suzuki and the BMW is to tall for him. He said he would wait for a lower BMW scooter because he won't ride one without the BMW name on it.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
To each their own but given the choice between the two it would be the Suzuki because I really don't like the BMW unless it was some low price I couldn't pass up. Let's be honest in that your more likely to get a discount on the Suzuki than the BMW so any MSRP price difference is likely moot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
MacDoc said:
all???

a one time event that was a problem from the get go does not constitute an ALL. Sounds more to me like a problem dealer.

it constitutes fear mongering.

I have 60,000 km on two different 650s - without a single issue beyond wear out like tires, brakes and batteries and there are hundreds more like me.
Not a one off...07 Ex...26K clutch bearing $3K under extended...37K bearing noise again...got what I could for it. I loved the Burgman but 37K "lifetime" for the price was unacceptable and not repeatable

·
Registered
352 Posts
MJR said:
To each their own but given the choice between the two it would be the Suzuki because I really don't like the BMW unless it was some low price I couldn't pass up. Let's be honest in that your more likely to get a discount on the Suzuki than the BMW so any MSRP price difference is likely moot.
No discount on BMW MSRP but I got a very good discount on accessories.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
The main reason I am not riding a Aprilia Mana 850GT is that the belt must be replaced every 20,000 miles, requires special tools and a required computer reset with a Aprilia scan tool. It is NOT a do it yourselfer job.

On the BMW requiring a belt change at 12,000 miles, that will be 3+ belts every two years for me. And does it require the computer to be reset by a factory scan tool? Does the BMW require special tools to do standard maintenance? I do not have these answers but IF I were thinking of buying one I WOULD find out before I plunked down the cash.

I have had my 08 650 on the road for 27 months. In those 27 months I have ridden 40,000 miles. I'd be 4,000 miles on my 4th BMW belt now.

There is no set answer. Like Buffalo said above,

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Unfortunately all mechanical things eventually wear and or just plain fail and require repair or replacement at one point or another. Is it really worthwhile worrying about something that is out of ones control, buy what you like and enjoy it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes they do, but there is no reason a modern motorcycle or scooter, with proper care, should not go well over 100,000 miles. And its resale value should not tank as soon as soon as it is put on the street, which is some reflection of its future cost of ownership. Getting the transmission issue corrected should not cost Suzuki that much money and should have occurred during the redesign.

As mentioned, Suzuki does not have brand cachet to price relative to BMW and do not price any of their motorcycles or autos in such a manner. The scooters seem to be an exception to this and I believe it is a mistake, or their quality, reliability, and customer service should be improved.

Otherwise Suzuki may have noted how many scooters they can sell at full price in each market and will bring just that many over.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts