Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock Burgman 650 suspension could use more damping. I have substituted Ikon (Koni) shocks with adjustable damping. Moving to 15 weight fork oil also seems to improve the front suspension. The current suspension is fine on smooth road, but quickly looses its composure over frost heaves, railroad crossings, manhole covers, etc. Additional damping seems to help a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my opinion this is the most negative feature of an otherwise excellent machine. For me, it prohibits the 650 from being used for long distance touring. Even 100 miles takes its toll on the back. Have brought this to the attention of the selling dealer.

TJ

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is wonderful and innovative machine. The Honda Silver Wing is farm machinery in comparison.

BUT, the suspension is marginal at best. On a smooth road it's just fine. However, bumps, ripples, undulations, etc., in the pavement are not handled at all well. Damping upgrade? Of course. And throw those sixties rear shocks away and put the same kind of monoshock that you use on the SV650.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree

Yes please. A more compliant suspension ... or smooth roads only. IMHO this is the one area of design/engineering that is not in keeping the rest of the package. Think Corvette body on a Model T suspension.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
ditto

The rear seems both over sprung and under dampened - the front seems too mushy and has no adjustment that I am aware of.

Rear: I think the fix for this is probably pretty inexpensive for Suzuki to do - just some re-valving of the rear shocks with softer springs. It's probably a no-cost manufacturing solution - just the engineering cost.

Front: probably the same thing - re-valve and change the oil. spring rates are good for me but some options would be good.

Of course, my choice would be air suspension on both ends but that would definitely drive of the price.

BTW - I weigh almost 200lbs so I pity the smaller riders.

:shock:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, the major mechanical problem with the Burgman is the suspension. It is at it's worst with sharp edged bumps (like expansion joint, manhole covers, etc.) A good suspension set up would make this a true long distance machine. Please fix this one. (AN 650)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Suspension

:evil4: Please, please, please upgrade the suspension on both ends!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts