Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the online video on how to adjust my suspension setting. I changed it from 3 to 4. I am on the heavy side so I thought 4 may be better for me.

For those who weigh over 220 pounds do you prefer 2, 3, 4 or 5 on your suspension setting? My hunch is that 2 wouldn't be the right setting for a large man while 5 may be a bit on the rougher side.

Comments?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I rode the 400 after the change from 3 to 4 in the suspension setting. I'd say a 10% increase in firmness with just 1 number higher. The 400 rides much firmer now and seems to handle better; but, the firmness does not come at a price so I wont be going to setting 5 anytime soon.

I can see myself varying the setting from 4 to 3 depending on the situation (riding solo) with most of the time leaving it in 4.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've been from 1 all the way to the stiffest and back. I ride with my fiancé on the back 90% of the time so at a combined weight of about 300 lbs, we both agreed On the #2 setting. Setting #1 we even used for a while but with shock fade it became a little too soft. I honestly think most people have their shock set too stiff.

·
Registered
427 Posts
At 180 lbs I set mine at #4 for sporty riding. Rides better and less oscillation of the bike. For casual riding (no scraping the kick stands), I would leave it at #3.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are right. I'm going to put it back at number 3. For those who ride solo at number 5 my painful back goes out to them. The ride at 4 is much harsher than 3 but it does handle better.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been from 1 all the way to the stiffest and back. I ride with my fiancé on the back 90% of the time so at a combined weight of about 300 lbs, we both agreed On the #2 setting. Setting #1 we even used for a while but with shock fade it became a little too soft. I honestly think most people have their shock set too stiff.

I think you are correct; now that I've tried 4 I like 3 better. If was under 180 pounds I'd go with setting 2.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just reset my suspension to setting number 2. I'll post about my experience with setting 2 soon. I suspect setting 2 or 3 would be the right one for me (middle aged rider who wants comfort over sport/performance).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are my comments:

235 pound male riding solo. Setting 4 is plenty stiff/tight. Handles better around the curves and feels more stable. For aggressive riding setting 4 (or even 5 for younger riders) is the ticket.

Setting 2 is much softer than setting 4. You can feel the shocks absorbing the bumps and the ride is more comfortable. A nice setting for cruising around town provided you don't take turns too aggressively. The burg 400 does not handle as well on setting 2. I hate to say that but it is true. That said, I like setting 2 because I am 48, weigh 235 pounds and have a bad back.

Setting 3, the factory setting, is indeed the best setting for an all around ride. You get reasonable handling (not as good as setting 4 though) and reasonable comfort. Suzuki did indeed pick the right setting from the factory.

I'll probably leaving my 400 on setting 2 for awhile longer but then change back to 3 after my Jac Vinson backrest arrives. I won't be using setting 4 or 5 ever.

While your experience may differ from mine many of you now know setting 3 is a smart setting choice for 80% of burgman 400 riders. For those with a bad back or wanting more comfort try setting number 2.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
B...maniac: Excellent thread - thanks for your meaningful riding impressions.

I'm 160 lbs solo and about 260 2-up. I ride at setting 3 for general all-around comfort, but I do have to back off throttle a bit in the twisties. I wish the pre-load adjustment in the 07's+ was as easy as the older models - I find the wrench adjustment a royal pain.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
B...maniac: Excellent thread - thanks for your meaningful riding impressions.

I'm 160 lbs solo and about 260 2-up. I ride at setting 3 for general all-around comfort, but I do have to back off throttle a bit in the twisties. I wish the pre-load adjustment in the 07's+ was as easy as the older models - I find the wrench adjustment a royal pain.
I agree with setting 3 at 260 pounds. Plus, riding with two people the diminished handling shouldn't be as much of an issue as riding solo where you may be inclined to be aggressive around corners.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I reset mine to 2. I like the ride much better. I'm 165 lb.s

I have the Jac Vinson back rest and really love it! I still lean forward just a bit when I come to a bump in the road. The back rest accentuates the bumps.

I'm in Louisiana where I call the "road crew", "bump makers". I swear they must get a kick back from the automotive industry for tearing up our vehicles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts