Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an earlier thread someone mentioned possible suspension upgrades. I'd be interested in any mods that take the jar out of the ride. I have the preload set to one and pressures are 33/36. Around town I find the ride still very harsh.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK...I found an earlier thread. Looks like the first step is to change the fork oil to 15 or 20w, and look for some better rear shocks. It appears there are varying opinions on the Ikons. Ohlins maybe?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's no way I can accomplish that in the limited space I have to work, and I'm not sure I can hand a project like that to the guys at the local shop where I get some of my work done. This is obviously a factor that could and should have been dealt with by the bike's designers. I never happened to get into rough pavement on the two Burgman's I rode before buying.

Now I'm wondering if it was a good idea.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Honestly any decent motorcycle shop I would think could rebuild struts. I'd imagine RaceTech could provide the parts based on the bike/rider setup and they should be able to install it per their instructions. There are other options like the oil viscosity, adding air fittings, etc on here. A lot of stuff has been done on here being varied in the setups and preferences.

I wish I knew about the dogs next door before I bought my house too, they weren't out barking when I looked at the house a couple of times.

I agree of anything on these bikes that should have been improved at the factory the suspension should be tops. It's easy enough with the aftermarket for other mods but adding suspension travel just isn't an easy thing to do later.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right, and I've also calmed down a little now. I was hoping to ride this thing out of the box for a while, but now I realize I'll have to spend some to make it usable for me. I know a lot of guys who did that mod to their V-Stroms, but I considered mine acceptable as is. I'll have to fix my Burgman if I decide to keep it. Having said that, it impresses me in many other ways, and I've been riding motorcycles since my first Triumph had the shift lever on the right!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try the progressive rear shocks first. For a little over $200, I have found that the front end doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I am not even going to bother with it for now. If I ever have a fork seal leak, maybe I'll change to heavier fluid.

BTW, I ride two up a lot of the time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try the progressive rear shocks first. For a little over $200, I have found that the front end doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I am not even going to bother with it for now. If I ever have a fork seal leak, maybe I'll change to heavier fluid.

J&P Cycles told me they have nothing for a Burgman, but they advertize a pair of 12" progressive shocks for $269. They have eyelets on both ends, so would need to be modified. I don't know if that's the likely replacement. I'm less concerned about the front right now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see Progressive also has 12.5" Ikon's website lists shocks for the 400 but not 650.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have found that the front end doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I am not even going to bother with it for now.
I find this remark a trifle odd because for me the biggest problem on the 650 is the FRONT forks! They seem to have no give whatsoever. it's like riding a 1930's rigid bike. :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I find this remark a trifle odd because for me the biggest problem on the 650 is the FRONT forks! They seem to have no give whatsoever. it's like riding a 1930's rigid bike. :(
I think I know what he's saying. Impacts from the front I can somewhat soak up with my arms. Jolts from the rear go to the base of the spine where there's no flexibility.

A lot of people must have changed rear shocks. Ebay is loaded with sets of OEMs for sale.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

I think those are a bit shorter than stock which changes the weight on the front end as does having a passenger. When I load gear on the back it also transfers the weight making the front ride better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to chime in and get my posts up :D I am on board with your negative feelings on the horribly harsh ride, expense and hassle to fix it (09 650). I have had so many bikes and made so many mods to them I am tired of doing it.

But since I already screwed up my transmission :banghead: and have to listen to it whine and wonder if it will get worse (see my transmission oil post if you want to waste your time) I guess I will just punish myself with the ride for now.:(

Or maybe just park it and ride the 35 year old Wing?

Or maybe just park it too and ride the Wee and compalin about it.

Or maybe just park them all, eat bonbons and watch tv and complain about commercials.

Oh brother I am heading for the gutter! I am old and will be dead soon enough so none of it reallly matters.

Darn and I thought the Lexapro was finally statring to work. :pottytrain5:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Just to chime in and get my posts up :D I am on board with your negative feelings on the horribly harsh ride, expense and hassle to fix it (09 650). I have had so many bikes and made so many mods to them I am tired of doing it.
Just put a buffle on back with 20 lbs and feel the ride change. ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a quote of $269 for a pair of Progressives, and a quote of $417 delivered for a set of Ikons. Since the Progressives will have to be modified to fit, I'm leaning toward the Ikons.

So to make the bike a go-anywhere rig, I'm looking at:

Rear shocks $417
Rebuild front forks $150 approx
Clearview shield with hand protection $260
Sargent seat $400

And various other stuff. There really isn't one of those items that couldn't have been provided from the factory at minimal cost. Most of us have been through this many times.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have a quote of $269 for a pair of Progressives, and a quote of $417 delivered for a set of Ikons. Since the Progressives will have to be modified to fit, I'm leaning toward the Ikons.

http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/pgr-412-4224c/overview/

Motorcycle Shocks, 412 Series, 120/170 lb./in. Spring Rate, 12.99 in. Length, Eyelet/Clevis Ends, Chrome, Pair
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ed+&cd=2&hl=da&ct=clnk&gl=dk&client=firefox-a

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Wile I an sure by throwing your wallet at it you will improve things,
at the end of the day the small wheels will always drop further into
any hole than normal bike wheel, and you will never get the same
quality of ride as you could on a bike.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wile I an sure by throwing your wallet at it you will improve things,
at the end of the day the small wheels will always drop further into
any hole than normal bike wheel, and you will never get the same
quality of ride as you could on a bike.
I understand that, but there seems to be a consensus here that you can significantly improve the ride over stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts