Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing with the suspension and tire pressure on my '12 B400. As usual Quantum was right about the tire pressure. At 80 mph+ the front tire seems best at around 26 PSI. At 28 PSI she was acting more squirrely.

For the rear I've tried 29-33 PSI for solo riding. Again, Quantum was right about the rear having more tolerance than the front in terms of PSI. I settled on 31-32 PSI for solo riding as I am a heavier rider. 29 PSI would be perfect for my wife as she is much lighter than me.;)

The suspension is a trade-off. I've tried 1-6 settings and settled on 3-4 for me. As a heavier rider I didn't need 5 but could see my wife liking 5 over 4. For highway riding I needed a 3 setting as the number 2 affected the ride too much over 75 mph. "3" is the trade-off for 50/50 city vs. highway riding for me. If I was 80/20 highway vs. city I would go with 4.

I thought this thread may be helpful for others looking for tire/suspension settings. If you take away one thing its that the front tire doesn't need more than 28 PSI under any situation.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's a good post Burgmanmaniac. Glad you found a good setup to use. You are right, it's always some form of compromise but on the whole, most people find a setup that works fine for them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the right suspension setting and tire pressure I can blast around corners now (well blasting for a scooter anyway) which I couldn't do previously. For those who want more spirited handling out of their 400 try to get the right suspension setting and air pressure.

The 400 is quite nimble for a scoot and it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
709 Posts
How does the suspension setting prevent squirming at speed? Or make it more curve happy. I have mine set @ 1, I weigh 180 lbs I found suspension a bit stiff on 3 on the bumps, I need to go back and do some experimentation.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How does the suspension setting prevent squirming at speed? Or make it more curve happy. I have mine set @ 1, I weigh 180 lbs I found suspension a bit stiff on 3 on the bumps, I need to go back and do some experimentation.
I'm no expert but the ride on the Burgman 400 is vastly better at higher speeds and hard cornering with settings 3-6. I've tried setting 5 and the ride was too stiff for around town but I'm a heavier rider (235). At 180 pounds you really should try setting 4 or 5. Setting number 1? That's too
The trade-off in the setting category is riding over bumps vs solid handling at speed. I chose 3 as my compromise number. At 180 pounds you can choose settings 2-6.

This is strictly a personal choice and you may ride very conservatively around corners with highway speeds of 70 or less. In that case I could see setting 2 but not setting 1.

As for me my weight causes a change to the preload setting the moment I sit on my 400. In addition, I like to handle decently on corners and highways.

I'm thinking of going to setting 4 for a bit due to improved handling

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
08-20-2010, 01:05 PM #2 (permalink) Elliott Larron
Insane Poster

Garage
Elliott Larron's Garage BURGMAN

Re: Maintenance Question - Preload Shock Adjustment
Well, Mines is set to #6 When you change the Number to lower setting most of your Bikes weight is on the Rear with Higher Numbers ,With Lower Numbers the weight Shifts to the front Wheel your best bet is to Dump those Brigstone Tires if your's have them there very Ruff and Bumpy tires, you feel just about everything with those tires from Cracks to Bumps to Potholes + Filled potholes,

But if you Switch the Number #1 or 2 you will Notice a Difference in Speed Drop off. Get up and go! Do to the Transmission being Raised to High.

#1 - 2 Softer But bike will bounce up and down to much. #5 - 7 Much Stiffer Less Bouncing up and down. and front wheel looses Lots of weight there for a Chance of the Front wheel Slipping Alot on Cornering,Turns.

Elliott,

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
09burgman
Super Poster

Re: Maintenance Question - Preload Shock Adjustment
The preload adjustment primarily affects rear ride height. Less preload also means some softening of the ride over small bumps, because the INITIAL spring force is lowered, making it easier for the rear wheel to start moving. Once it's moving the spring rate is pretty much the same, regardless, and there's little effect on big bumps.

The way pros set it on race bikes is to measure "sag". How far does the rear suspension move when the rider gets on. Race bikes are set at maybe 25-30mm, street sport bikes at 30-35. Touring bikes a bit more. More here. It's race oriented, but racers are the main people who adjust this by something other than trial and error, and gut reaction.

http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motor ... %20Preload

As you raise the rear, the handling quickens a bit, because the front fork is slightly more vertical, and vice versa. If you find the scooter too eager to turn, you want to reduce preload. If it's too stable, too reluctant to turn, you can quicken the steering by increasing preload.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is my very BASIC understanding of the suspension numbers:

At 235 pounds when I went to setting 2 I would bottom out quickly. The shock was too soft so the bike would bounce over the small curbs and bumps. In order to avoid bottoming out due to my weight I need at least setting 3.

A lighter rider could get by on setting 2 but at 180 pounds I think you should avoid setting 1. I've read that 2 riders with gear should go with at least setting number 4 or 5. The heavier the rider the HIGHER the number should be to avoid bottoming out. I like a nice ride so I went with number 3. But, the bike handles better at setting 4 or 5. If I avoid the bad roads then setting 4 will work quite nicely for me.

At 180 pounds I would think setting 3 or 4 should tighten up the handling for you quite a bit. If you like to race that 400 around the twisties go with setting 6. But, for comfort I prefer the lowest setting I can get away with which is 3 for me and likely 2 for you.

Extra Pre-Load makes the 400 handle better but the price for it is way more discomfort over small bumps. Bottom line is dial in as much preload as your arse and back can handle.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Settings 1 and 2- Works best for light rides (under 150 pounds) without gear. You sacrifice handling for comfort over small bumps

Settings 3 and 4- A great compromise setting for most of us riding on less than stellar roads. Heavier riders, those riding 2 up or loaded with gear should stick with no less than 3 or 4.

Settings 5- Much better handling around curves and highway speed (over 75 mph). If you can avoid those bad roads go with setting 5.

Setting 6+ This is for those who want MAXIMUM handling on the 400 around mountain roads or ride at 85 mph plus. The stiffest ride with sport bike suspension setting.
This setting will make your spine feel every bump on the road.

This is strictly my opinion but many other posters over the years seem to have the same opinion. There is no "right" setting but there is a wrong setting if you bottom out easily like I did on setting 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts