Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on You tube and it is so simple, yet genius.

For those of us with a flip up visor, add a strip or two of electrical tape to the top and bottom of the plexiglass visor.

Visor down, you can tilt your head down just a bit and the tape will block the sun from glaring into your eyes.

Visor up, the effect is automatic.

It is genius and works beautifully. If you are a color matchy kind of person, e tape is available to match your current skid lid.

Regards, Randy

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That's the same as I read about on the ST-Owners forum many years ago. I know a few ST riders who have done that.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
I've done this for years too. But my latest Modular helmet has a second dark visor that comes down so I can put it down some. But my question, What is this SUN thing? We don't have that up here in the Pacific NorthWet.

·
Premium Member
8,321 Posts
i use air cond duct tape (metal) with colored tape over it

·
Registered
404 Posts
I carry a small roll of blue painters tape with me on all the bikes. When I know I'll be in low sun situations I throw a strip across the top of the shield with a tab folded under to make it easy to get off.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've been doing this for a long time. I normally put 2 1/2 pieces of tape on my face shield for the Burgman, and 2 for the other bikes that lean forward a bit more. I keep a spare roll of electrical tape in my tool kit for this, and for quick electrical repairs on the road. The nice thing about electrical work is that it stretches a bit, so getting it to conform to the curve of a face shield isn't a hassle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done this for years too. But my latest Modular helmet has a second dark visor that comes down so I can put it down some. But my question, What is this SUN thing? We don't have that up here in the Pacific NorthWet.
Yep, fair point about the sun thing. I'm ready for spring.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the use of tape on the face shield of a helmet is highly illegal in the UK and you'll get pulled over & ticketed if the police see you riding around like that.
UK members, can you confirm this?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I saw this on You tube and it is so simple, yet genius.

For those of us with a flip up visor, add a strip or two of electrical tape to the top and bottom of the plexiglass visor.

Visor down, you can tilt your head down just a bit and the tape will block the sun from glaring into your eyes.

Visor up, the effect is automatic.

It is genius and works beautifully. If you are a color matchy kind of person, e tape is available to match your current skid lid.

Regards, Randy
Did that on my previous helmets such as Shoei RF series etc., however now with the Shoei Neotec just flip up or down the interior dark sun visor as required.

Reactions: rjs987

·
Premium Member
8,321 Posts
I have the interior dark shield in my helmet, but on occasion I even have to use the chin bar to block the low angle sun.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I've found using two strips of 2" wide duct tape across the visor can be quite effective in blocking out the sun, as well as reducing stress by preventing one from seeing potentially alarming oncoming objects such as traffic or signposts.

:)

·
Registered
556 Posts
When wearing the 3/4 helmet on bike and snowmobile I used a pair of those oversized (fit over the glasses) sheilds. The first full face (for snowmobiling) got the tap as well. Both flip opens (winter & summer) had the dark tinted inner shields. The big sun glasses are in the truck where taping is impractical.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've found using two strips of 2" wide duct tape across the visor can be quite effective in blocking out the sun, as well as reducing stress by preventing one from seeing potentially alarming oncoming objects such as traffic or signposts.

:)
And if you use the silver duct tape you might be able to blind that oncoming traffic from the sun light reflection so they won't see you, thus reducing stress for them as well. :grin

doesn't work with sign posts though.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Man, great idea ya'll, but dang, why do some of put yourselves through so much hassle with your tape choice? Electrical tape leaves residue if left on long enough. Duct tape, that will ruin the entire shield if removed.

If you don't care how it looks painter tape sounds great. If you want it to look sweet, a piece of vinyl used for graphics from a sign supplier would be awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts