Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the snow gently falling here in southern Minnesota, it seems like a good time to get the old maps out and start planning the upcoming season's trips. California again, or should I head for the east coast this year? I have family in CA, so this is always the logical choice, but, Deal's Gap or the Blueridge Parkway are appealing alternates. Decisions, decisions! One thing is for sure, though, my annual track day has been reserved. Most fun you can have on two wheels for $75!:

http://www.ridingcourse.com/

I have also signed up for this year's Minnesota 1000, which is on a par with the track day regarding its fun quotient. It's a micro Iron Butt type event, (a 1000 mile scavenger hunt kind of thing) run by some guys with a sadistic sense of humor:

http://www.teamstrange.com/

The last time I entered this event was in 2000 when it was a 2000 miles in 48 hour event. What a blast!

With these thoughts in mind, I should be able to cope with the rest of winter.

What riding plans are YOU making for this summer?

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
With nothing to hold be back I don't plan anything. I just make spontaneous decisions and never know were I will be going .
I will admit to getting lost a lot, but I never take the short way anyplace anyway :wink:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I see myself going to California as well, and from Mississippi that's quite a trek. However, my wife doesn't see my going to Cali so I'm probably out of luck there. I'll have to plan something more realistic. I was thinking about riding as far into south Louisiana as possible before one of those highways just ends in the swamps. Sounds crazy, but in looking over the maps it seems some of the roads just sort of end and that's it. I'd like to see how that works. Oh well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Here's the lazy way I do roads:

http://www.delorme.com/

---

After 37 years, I want to go back to those turntables and do a mix this summer, in Southern Illinois:

Then why does my 37 year hiatus translate into a 35th Anniversary?
Spinning records in the WIDB predecessor station on the 9th floor of Schneider Hall, that's how.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
We don't have any summer plans. I may ride more during the day if my mother in law babysits while she's off from work. But Billy wants to go somewhere for Spring break. but we'll see.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Pinwheel said:
But Billy wants to go somewhere for Spring break. but we'll see.
Do I see a ride to the Dragon in your near future? :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
i am going to california like i did 3 years ago. i have a brother who rides,& friends that migrated from here in new york long ago. we will be going to the moto gp race on july 10 & then take the pacific coast highway down to san diego. i get out there on a northern route,& come back a southern route. my only regret is my wife won`t come.she is from ecuador and has never seen most of this country.last summer i got her to ride a little on her own on my old riva 200,that i use for local erands.hopefully i can convert her over to be a real scooter person. she likes it but is still afraid.rich b

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
billmeek said:
Do I see a ride to the Dragon in your near future? :)
oh he's been thinking about it. can't go that far during spring break. not enough money and not enough time. Sping break is on March 21st here.

Thinking about going to Memphis in September though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
I see myself going to California as well, and from Mississippi that's quite a trek. However, my wife doesn't see my going to Cali so I'm probably out of luck there
While admiring spontaneity, I can understand the pull of spending time figuring out how to make those happenings, dreamed in the cold, fully happen when the roads permit. I haven't had the Burgman long enough to be an exprienced distance rider but, when it's time, I'll probably plan a series of increments. Here to Yosemite, say. Do I feel up to going to Mammoth? Yep, let's try that second plan. The mountain air feels a little brisk. Vegas next? Plan three clicks into place. Bryce/Zion, mmmm. Guess I could go home through S Calif and up the coast. Since I oughta get back to my wife sometime.

So, what in the wide world of sports am I waiting for?

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Usually the only planning we do when we do a road trip is, the direction, the lenghth of the trip, and maybe a destination. I found planning too much, and keeping to a schedual, makes a road trip a job.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I'm in the process of planning a trip for about 6 or 8 guys thru the Poconos and Catskills to Americade (1 day stopover). From Lake George we'll head north thru Vermont and back into New York and west thru the Adirondack Park via Lake Placid. Then we'll head south to Watkins Glen and wind our way back to southern PA and Maryland along the Susquehanna River.
We'll spend about 6 or 7 days on the road and the only planned stop is for the first night at Saratoga Springs which is a short ride from Lake George and Americade. The rest of the trip will be at our own leisurely pace with no real schedule. And, best of all, no Interstates! I hate Interstates (unless I really have to make time).
Don

·
Registered
553 Posts
pics

ajwood said:
Here's the lazy way I do roads:

http://www.delorme.com/

---

After 37 years, I want to go back to those turntables and do a mix this summer, in Southern Illinois:

Then why does my 37 year hiatus translate into a 35th Anniversary?
Spinning records in the WIDB predecessor station on the 9th floor of Schneider Hall, that's how.
Hey ajwood how did you get the picture on you qoute?

·
Registered
123 Posts
At the SCRC meeting last week, we were talking about the trips we want to do. One that got put aside last year was the ride to Virginia Beach, VA going through the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel System. We are hoping to do this in May. I will be riding the "Ride Across Maryland" to Ocean City, MD and then we are doing a West Virginia ride sometime in July. We are still talking about where in WVA, but wherever it is, it will be beautiful. I can just hear John Denver singing "Country Roads" right now.

And then there are those, oh! it's such a nice day let's get on the bikes and ride.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was thinking of getting all the Southern Ontario Burgman riders to link up and head to Port Dover on Lake Erie for the May Friday the 13th run. Every Friday the 13th rain or shine thousands of bikers converge on this tiny town on the shores of Lake Erie. Here is a link to info on it.

http://www.pd13.com/

·
Registered
925 Posts
Summer Riding Plans? Simple. Ride everywhere that I can and as often as I can, that is if I have something to ride :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: pics

swstiles said:

Please be aware of the picture size both in the dimensions and file size. If the file size is large, it may take a long time for those on dialup to load the page. If the picture is very wide, it will cause the page to scroll if running a low resolution on the monitor. In either of these cases, it's better to just provide a link to the image rather than using the inline image tags in the example above.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Last august I went up the western slope of the rocky mountains. There are some long roads less traveled that were pretty nice there. One surprise was the road traveling north from Durango Colorado to Ridgeway. Surprising because I had never seen such hair raising twisties. I mean switch backs without shoulders or walls to stop the unsuspecting tourist from plummeting hundreds of feet down. Another interesting road started west of Grand Junction Colorado. Specificly from Fruita to Dinosaur. It's about 100 miles of curves, hills, turns, switchbacks and a mountain pass with views to die for. I have never seen this road mentioned in any travel mag.... so check it out before it's "discovered" :!:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discover Wisconsin

We are planning a trip to Wisconsin this summer. We are going to take our time and really see the state. Hope to be out a couple weeks and end up in Door County. I have a uncle & aunt that lives in Janesville and my wife has a cousin who lives in Madison. Neither one of us has been to door county or northern Wisconsin. My wifes sister plans on joining us with her Helix and Verlorex Jawa sidecar. We are to meet another couple in Northern Wisconsin (that we met on this forum!) the first week and some of our scooter friends in door county the second week. We will keep you posted on our trip. Should be fun, Wisconsin offers a lot of beautiful scenery!

Helix
:D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Re: pics

billmeek said:
swstiles said:

Please be aware of the picture size both in the dimensions and file size. If the file size is large, it may take a long time for those on dialup to load the page. If the picture is very wide, it will cause the page to scroll if running a low resolution on the monitor. In either of these cases, it's better to just provide a link to the image rather than using the inline image tags in the example above.
What do you do to make them smaller? Is there a program that you have to use. :?: and how do you get the picture on the qoute? :?:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts