Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own several helmets, but am interested in buying a modular. Anyone here own one? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, JD

8)

By the way; price is no matter to me. Can't let this head get any uglier :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
JD,

Get out there and try some on... Problem with helmets is that fit makes all the difference. One guy might love a helmet, and another might find it awful - due to fit. It affects wind noise & stability as well as comfort. And sometimes it gets even worse. Like if you have a long head, and you close the front part, and it falls right below your lip instead of your chin....

If you search the web, you'll probably find a review or three giving you a rough idea of quality - and member feedback will do the same - but fit is still paramount.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You have an advantage in knowing your size,
as far as a good flip up helmet goes there are many as I am sure you know,
My self I like my Zeus, I know it's at the low (read cheep) end
but it fits well and works well, protection is the same as any other DOT helmet

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy said:
Yes and No. Unfortunately sizes aren't standardized between helmet manufactures. I've seen a couple of brands where it takes an XXL or larger to equal an XL in other brands. I think Suomy is one of them. If you see a manufacturer list sizes like XXXL - beware.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks once again for your feedback. I would be lost without this forum and all the great people here. 8)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Helmets

We have had and used different helmets over the years. We are both using Nolan N100 and with no complaints. These were rated #1 by motorcycle consumer news for two years in a row and for good reason.
The wife and I are very happy with them and would buy them again. We had them before MCN rated them so that did not influence us but does reinforce our opinion of them, They sell for about $200 usd.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Friend bought the New Nolan with sound for his Goldwing in 2008, likes it better than his old Nolan and any other brand modular helmet that he owns. He likes Shoei helmets over HJC also. He says the new Nolan is the "quietest" of any helmet that he owns.
Note: he has an "egg, oval shaped head" compared to a "round" head.

I will try one (Nolan) on this year, as my current modular helmet is from yet another manufacturer. I liked an old Nolan that I owned better than I like my current modular helmet. It was quieter, warmer in winter, noticed less wind noise and was a better fit.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The new Nolan N103 is really nice. It will be my next helmet, when my N102 dies.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I bought a Vemar Jiano. I like it well enough, but it is a little noisy and windy inside, and a bit heavy. I really like the flip down sun visor.
If I had it to do over, I would probably get a Zox Genessis or Nevado R SVS. They get very high ratings for noise control and the flip down visor is fairly well designed. The fit of the latch is a little variable, so you need to inspect it in person before buying it to make sure the latch is secure and not likely to open accidentally. You should try a helmet on before buying it anyway, so that's really not a problem.

8) Claude

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I originally used a Zeus 508, which is a decent helmet, but the plastic latching mechanism and lack of chin guard padding bothered me, that and the visor wouldn't stay up. I recently bought a Nolan N103. It has a steel latching mechanism with a two stage release system, a cam based hinge so the flip up section moves out and away from your face when opening. It also has an internal retractable sun visor and pin lock anti fog visor shield. Venting is better than the Zeus. It comes sound/intercom ready for use with their proprietary electronics. I understand that several other sytems can be installed too. It is quieter than the Zeus but not having used many helmets I can't speak as to it's relative quietness compared to any other helmets than the Zeus. Overall a great helmet IMHO. :thumbup: Downside is even with a killer online deal ($302 with free shipping) it cost four times what I paid for the Zeus. But since you said price is no object there are several good options.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I have both a Shoei MultiTech and the new Schuberth C3 flip up. The C3 is with out a doubt the quietest and overall best helmet I have ever worn. C3 is not available in US but can be obtained online. It is therefore not DOT rated, but meets the same ECE 22.05 standards that all other helmets sold in Europe must attain. Yes It's expensive, but I love it. See review here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... uberth-c3/

Got mine from http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Schuberth-C3_B22RSC.aspx

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Re:

pauljo said:
Randy said:
Yes and No. Unfortunately sizes aren't standardized between helmet manufactures. I've seen a couple of brands where it takes an XXL or larger to equal an XL in other brands. I think Suomy is one of them. If you see a manufacturer list sizes like XXXL - beware.
Even within brands it varies. Take Shoei and my noggin, for example:

--RF-R, fit wonderfully, Size XL
--RF-1000, size XL doesn't fit (no XXL handy to try)
--X-Eleven, fits, but not 100% comfortable, XXL

I can't order helmets, I have to try them on. I'm already planning a 4+ hour trip to the nearest Akuma dealer to try one on in April/May. Thankfully the other brands I'm considering can be had a bit more locally (Shoei, Shark, OGK).

As for modulars, after reading WebBikeWorld reviews, I'm going to pass. After owning an X-Eleven, just about every modular helmet is too heavy, poorly made, noisey, or poorly ventillated by comparison. My ex-gf, and now my wife, have had various "affordable" (sub-$200) modulars (one of them a Nolan), and both were very disappointing for regular use...flimsey shields and latches, brittle plastics for vents, picky closures, whistle in the wind,and heavy. I'd never get anything heavier than the X-Eleven ever again (at least than means 40+ models to choose from this time around!).

My adivce? Not only try it on, but find a dealer who is willing to let you take it for a spin at 60mph on the highway for a few minutes. Unless you have alot of money, you're gonna have to live with your choice for a few years...get a quality lid.

·
Registered
449 Posts
amfca said:
I have both a Shoei MultiTech and the new Schuberth C3 flip up. The C3 is with out a doubt the quietest and overall best helmet I have ever worn. C3 is not available in US but can be obtained online. It is therefore not DOT rated, but meets the same ECE 22.05 standards that all other helmets sold in Europe must attain. Yes It's expensive, but I love it. See review here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... uberth-c3/

Got mine from http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Schuberth-C3_B22RSC.aspx
I have to agree. My Schuberth C3 is a phenomenal helmet. The plastic doesn't even creak on it when handled. So much attention to detail See my reveiw in the reviews section.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My HJC is noisy, the shield doesn't seal well so it leaks in the rain, and I've managed to break the shield latching mechanism twice. I love the idea of a modular helmet, but the reality of it as implemented by HJC is, in my opinion, poor. Retail and US distributor support have not been helpful. I will be trying a different brand when I next purchase a helmet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts