Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, FAQ Teammates --

Below please find a copy of a PM that I received today from forum member JohnK. I'm posting it here for team discussion.

I vote in favor. Those tutorials are so good it's a great idea to 'advertise' them more widely.

Regards,
Chris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris: Bill asked me to forward this to the FAQ team for consideration as a sticky.

Bill: I'd like to suggest adding your excellant tutorials to the FAQ section. Not the entire thread but just the first post where you link to all the tutorials. Currently it is buried in the newbie section which is fine to leave it there as a reminder.
But having it more visable in the FAQ section may aid others better. I have had to hunt for it in the past to link it for someones question. It would fit in nicely with the other posts at the top of that section.

ie: How.....Register?
Where..... Post?
How Best To Use BUSA?
BurgmanUSA Tutorials

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
I agree. They are useful to newbies but the phpBB code one is about to be out of date pretty soon. That's why I've not done a few more of them that are really needed. Believe it or not, one that is most needed is a simple posting in the forums walk thru. I've had to walk a several people thru the basics of using the forums over the phone.

·
Banned
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
billmeek said:
I've had to walk a several people thru the basics of using the forums over the phone.
Jeez! And you DO it? :shock:

My help desk techs lack the patience to provide service like that, even though that's what they're PAID for. If you ever move up here, let me know -- I'll hire you in a New York minute!

Bill, you're thinking JohnK's idea should wait for the next software release, is that right? Is there a rough schedule for that yet? I know it's not a simple upgrade. Or is it that the new code doesn't support stickies?

--C

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
ChrisLucey said:
Jeez! And you DO it? :shock:
Yup. And on my dime. But it doesn't really cost me that much. Currently $60 / year for phone service via Skype. I've not had to call overseas ... yet.

ChrisLucey said:
My help desk techs lack the patience to provide service like that, even though that's what they're PAID for. If you ever move up here, let me know -- I'll hire you in a New York minute!
I've done "hell desk" support for years. You do get frustrated at times but can't let the customer know. They developed those "stress balls" just for tech support people. If business keeps going the way it is around here, you just might see some nut with a dog on the backseat at your doorstep willing to take you up on that offer.

ChrisLucey said:
Bill, you're thinking JohnK's idea should wait for the next software release, is that right? Is there a rough schedule for that yet? I know it's not a simple upgrade. Or is it that the new code doesn't support stickies?
No. We can go ahead and add it to the FAQ section. I've held off developing anymore tutorials waiting on the next release. They take enough time (to do correctly) that I didn't feel it was a good use of resources. The new forum does support stickies and a LOT more.

Based on the feedback so far, I'd say we're very close to going production on the next release. There's a lot of little changes that need to be made over time to tweek the forums but nothing that stops us from rolling it out. Most are simple cosmetic items or niceties to improve usage.

The main thing is I need a go ahead from Bryan and want to wipe the test forum one more time and do another run thru of the migration process to test my documentation and to get a timing on the process. Last run for the conversion was about 6 hours with no customization of the forum. I'd really like to get that time down but the corrections required to the existing database and the conversion of the old data just take time. That 6 hour timeframe does not include re-indexing of the search which I'm moving to a MySQL backend rather than the native search for performance reasons.

·
Registered
795 Posts
HIJACK

billmeek said:
Yup. And on my dime. But it doesn't really cost me that much. Currently $60 / year for phone service via Skype. I've not had to call overseas ... yet.
I apologize in advance for the hijack. Check out Magicjack for your telephone needs. http://www.magicjack.com/site/index.html The hardware is $20. Then it's $20/year for a ton of features. Free 30 day trial (they don't even charge you until the 30 days is up) Calls are crystal clear and there's no lag.

Hijack off.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
No Linux version .... I don't do Windows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts