Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to use both brakes together and the rear pads are now down to slivers so must change quickly.

Any suggestions as to long wearing pads for the rear thanks

TIA

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I've used both the OEM pads and ECB SFA412HH sintered pads and they seem to last about the same amount of time. I'll go through two sets of rear pads for each set of front pads. Don't know why as I use the fronts more than the backs but that seems to be the way it works out.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmph me too...I bought front pads just to have and have not used them.
Rears are gone.
I do use both brakes as regular part of riding.
I was riding tonight consciously only using the front and was uncomfortable doing so.

I do as well on the KLR as in the dirt it's a huge factor and on pavement you need both brakes and a land anchor to slow it down on the range roads as the brakes are marginal at best.

·
Registered
630 Posts
EBC are a bit cheaper and harder it seems, which works fine for the back. They feel much too wooden when used on the front calipers--and I have stainless lines. I don't keep records of pad wear, so I can't tell you if they're a better deal.

I too use both brakes regularly and the rear helps dampen the clutch/throttle shudders during low speed riding. I'd hazard a guess 600lb + the driven wheel do a number on the rear pads, especially during the commute.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Have EBC FA 412HH on rear, very good, not notice much different from OEM.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Are the front and rear pads the same??
Use 2 - 2 1/2 set rear pad for front pad set , still have OE front pad, just love 650 engine braking.

Do not remember on 2005 650.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
geez confusing

FA412HH rear

FA142HH Front...

dyslexics nightmare.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Wouldn't it be false economy to use harder pads, which wear slower, but wear out the disks instead? OEM disks are $$$ and EBC disks have a less than stellar reputation.

I also use the rear brake to take out the transmission slack at slow speed maneuvers, and when making tight U-turns.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I would stick with OEM pads.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Wouldn't it be false economy to use harder pads, which wear slower, but wear out the disks instead? OEM disks are $$$ and EBC disks have a less than stellar reputation.

I also use the rear brake to take out the transmission slack at slow speed maneuvers, and when making tight U-turns.
Erik here most Suzuki dealer not even carry Burgie OEM pad in stock, they must order from Suzuki warehouse, EBC easy to obtain almost everywhere, most Ma & Pa shop carry EBC in stock. Honda, Kawa or Yamie dealer who work on other competitor brand will offer EBC not other OEM brand.

Like you me use rear brake for everything, use front brake only when absolutely must or when safety practice dictate.

Yes if in stock would choose OE pads first even if more $$.

When bike in shop and not willing to wait 2-3 or more day, you take first available part for get bike back out and ride.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
You can get the EBC pads for around $20 online. One reason the EBC pads are cheaper is that they do not include new shims and insulator pads. You have to pull the old ones off you existing pads and transfer them over. When you order the OEM pads you get new shims and insulators included with them.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
.. When you order the OEM pads you get new shims and insulators included with them.
Furthermore, the front OEM pads are handed, because the shims go on the piston side and are mirrored left to right.

I'm a bit puzzled that there are two types of rear pads, which seem mixed year-wise. The latter is only for the 650, while the former is for both 400 and 650

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-69100-10840.html

2003 AN650 REAR CALIPER, AN650L1 REAR CALIPER (AN650 L1 E33), 2009 AN400K8 REAR CALIPER (AN400K7-K8-K9)

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-69100-10860.html

2006 AN650 REAR CALIPER (MODEL K6-K7-K8), 2012 AN650AL2 REAR CALIPER, 2007 AN650 REAR CALIPER (MODEL K6-K7-K8)

EBC say that SFA412 replaces both 840 and 860

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts

Never tried that! Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it is and I missed it in this last PA trip running on front brake only.
Try to turn in tight quarters with front only was white knuckle at times...and lots of blue hovering around the GPS :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts