Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dancote said:
We arrived (8/6)in Sturgis for Bike Week, August 9-15 this year. Staying at Rush-No-More campground.

This is our first time at this event and we're "blown away". Beautiful area with lots of scenic tours to take. Locals are very welcoming. Participants are very mellow - at least those we've encountered so far. Lots of custom bikes, trikes, and "what-have-you"s.

The Burgman has been attracting lots of questions; Who makes it? How fast is it? Is it comfortable? It has what kind of transmission????
The quote is from my post in Rallys (sic) and Gatherings last week. I've since learned that there's some controversy over the name of the event and the proper term is "Black Hills Rally & Races" Whatever it's called, it's an awesome event.

We've had a wonderful time in the Black Hills area and highly recommend it.

Temperature was in the the high 80s, low 90s for the first 3 days after our arrival but has been considerably more moderate since then with low humidity the whole time - perfect riding weather. There has been one night with light, intermittent rain.

The flat track races and hillclimbs are well attended in good venues.

Our sightseeing highlights included Badlands National Park, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Devil's Tower, Deadwood, SD, Wall Drug and the Black Hills. Don't know why they're called that since they're very lush and green.

If music concerts are your thing, The Sturgis Music Festival overlaps the Rally with each night devoted to Classic Rock, Blues, Country, Las Vegas and even a Comic Relief night. Artists included B.B. King, Hank Williams Jr. Kid Rock, Dr. John, Elvin Bishop, Montgomery Gentry, Grand Funk Railroad, and many others to numerous to list

Kevin Costner led a charity ride, every major (and lots of new-comer) motorcycle customizer was here for the event. Whether you're into custom bikes or not, they're something to look at for the engineering and the artistry. Even among the chopper crowd, some shops' customs really stand out. The OCC (Orange County Choppers) gang shows up with a number of the bikes they've built on the "American Choppers" TV program and have scheduled autograph sessions throughout the week.

Hotels, motels and campgrounds abound but be prepared to spend big money to stay in them. Tent spaces are $10 - $15 per night and we paid $50 + tax for a full hookup motorhome site. Don't know what hotel/motel rooms go for but I'm sure they're pretty expensive as well. The nearer you are to Sturgis itself, the more expensive things are in general. Also, be aware that some campgrounds like Glencoe and the Buffalo Chip are real party places; lots of campgrounds are right next to I-90 -- if you want/need a good night's rest after a day of riding and concerts, steer away from these. Call ahead to check on what to expect in different places.

Attendance was highest this year for the weekend before the rally until Thursday when things began to thin out considerably. As I write this, our campground appears to be less than half full. Lots of vendors were packing up yesterday. Don't know what this year's final tally will be but there were an estimated 500,000+ in attendance last year and the local paper has been saying that this year should be even more.

What would we do differently if we came back? Arrive later in the week to avoid the biggest crowds in town and out on the roads. Stay further out in the hills from Sturgis to save money deal with smaller crowds, and be right in the thick of some of the nicest riding anywhere.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for the trip report from the Sturgis ralley ... urmmm... or whatever they call it now. ;) Would really like to see that event at least once. The additional attraction of the local sites makes it very tempting.

dancote said:
If music concerts are your thing, The Sturgins Music Festival overlaps the Rally with each night devoted to Classic Rock, Blues, Country, Las Vegas and even a Comic Relief night. Artists included B.B. King, Hank Williams Jr. Kid Rock, Dr. John, Elvin Bishop, Montgomery Gentry, Grand Funk Railroad, and many others to numerous to list
Even without the bike gathering, the music alone would make the trip worth it. Maybe one of these days I'll make it up to see for myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts