1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not me

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
For many years, I had wanted to go to Sturgis.
In the last decade, I went to the Laughlin Bike Run several times. This pretty much cured me of wanting to spend time around thousands of noisy bikes in suffocating heat. And taking a half hour to travel a block or two :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Being in Minnesota, it isn't that far for me.

And now for a pointless story. I do remember years ago (probably 1999 or 2000) going camping in Custer St Park in S.D. the weekend of the start of Sturgis. As we were driving through S.D. we saw bikers and bikes on trailers. We drove faster to get to the park before the bikers took all the spots at the campground. Got a nice spot, bikers didn't bother us. Car battery died, but that is another story.

All that being said, if there is a group going, I may, that is may, go.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not something I would normally do, for the reasons identified in post #3 and more. However, my brother just bought a HD and is now talking about going to Sturgis. As I am up for nearly any adventure, simply because it is an adventure, I told him I would go if he wants to go, in 2016. Then I figured I would invite other scooter riders to go with us, if in fact, we go. But it is the kind of thing you need to plan way in advance - so I thought I would just put the buzz out there now.

I think it would be good for a contingent of scooterists to go :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Honda has a group (NT700 & ST1300) get together in Spearfish, SD 3 weeks BEFORE sturgis. Much cheaper hotels, meals, etc, and no big drunk crowds in pirate costumes. I've been the last two years, and will be there this July 8-11 as well. I have been welcomed on my NT700, my Burg 400, as I am sure I will be this year on my 650. Beautiful countryside, great motorcycle roads, lots of tourist places to visit! Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Doing Sturgis this year for the second time. Will be there 1-3 Aug and camping at Creekside. It's the 75th year and looking forward to it. If you come across a black 39 Pontiac hot rod with cool pipes (my best buds) you will find me nearby on my white Vic CCT along with my 2 brothers. Would love to visit. If you have not been, go at least once in your life. It was a hoot in 2011 and looking forward to seeing it, again. Taking a week or so to get there and about the same coming back with no timelines and camping all the way. Hope to see you there. Regards, Jim

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Sturgis rally welcomes all riders and types of bikes and scooters. The event isn't just about the event itself, but the ride in and out and the fantastic, historic and beautiful attractions in the area.

Yoda, have you ever been to Sturgis during the Rally? I doubt it or you wouldn't parrot for the most part untruths.

The event is a nice, social gathering of people of all types, who enjoy Getting together and all that that entails.

I have ridden in from Southern, CA, many times on my Harley's and Goldwing and never, ever saw "Big drunk crowds in Pirates uniforms." (Your quote.)

Look closely next time and you'll find that the "Pirate's" uniform is actually expensive leather protective gear and exceeds ATGATT specs for the last maybe 100 years. I wonder if Pirate's wore $500 leather jackets, $200 HD leather boots, Vests or $300 leather Chaps, all of which will outlive the rider.

Try getting drunk in big crowds ANYWHERE in Sturgis at any time and you'll promptly be arrested as the crowds are riddled with LEO's everywhere. My group was all Leo's from every branch.

At the Buffalo Chip campground and outdoor concert park, I guess you'd see lots of folks drinking and probably drunk, enjoying the bands. This is on Private land by the way.

If you see pictures of the NT700/ ST1300 Rally in Spearfish, you'll want to maybe make advanced funeral arrangements before you attend because you'll probably die of boredom. The leader is a little, wussy, super liberal dictator, in my very humble opinion and I mention no names. This is NOT A HONDA sanctioned even at all.

Quit perpetuating unjust stereotypes---just imagine if it was reversed, I wonder how we super macho scooter riders would come out, with our day glo- highway dept clothes and starship type rides:)

If you do go to Sturgis, make sure you take a good Digital camera, with lots of memory, because the event has hundreds of thousands of beautiful bikes there.

Sam:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Been there 3 times. The original intent of the Sturgis is long gone as it was a place to RIDE to. Now it's a place to trailer your overly expensive bike to and pretend you are a biker. I ride and I don't trailer my bike. I just got back yesterday from an adventure bike ride and camp. Yes there were the few that trailered their bikes but with this crowd they probably will not again. They were the brunt of a lot of funny comments. It's not an adventure to drive the slab in your big diesel pickup and 5th wheel toyhauler, motorhome or stay in a motel at a RIDE in and CAMP. No excuses, ride in. Otherwise just stay with the other pretenders. Same for Sturgis. Your Burgman is a long distance comfortable ride, guaranteed. Plenty of room for camping gear too..............ride safe...........Mike

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Otherwise just stay with the other pretenders. Same for Sturgis. Your Burgman is a long distance comfortable ride, guaranteed. Plenty of room for camping gear too..............ride safe...........Mike
I agree (except for the "your Burgman" part). Taking the bike there on a trailer is kinda lame. Surprisingly, a lot of people SHIP there bikes there and fly in. I can see doing that if you simply can't take the time off work required to drive in a long way (4-days each way, fore example), but I'd never do it.

Anyway - my brother is the one who wants to go, and he doesn't have a trailer or anything to tow it with - so he will be riding if he goes. And I'll ride with him on my TMAX. Just thought I'd see if anyone wanted to go with us. We would be leaving from Pittsburgh (PA). I know it's SUPER early, and I don't even know if we will go - I just wanted to get the feelers rolling and people thinking about it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A lot of folks trailer in because they are disabled and you can't see that as you scoot by and sneer at them.

Lots of them take their entire family and can't to it on one bike.

Cycle World magazine had an Editorial about some half witted folks passing judgment on others because they trailer their bikes and it was a real eye opener, revealing many reasons from age to disabilities but the folks still want to go and may have been doing so for longer than you have been alive. Would you poke fun at a disabled veteran that just can't ride half way across the United States anymore?

We always rode in from CA (1600 miles) to the rally and then rode to SW MO (800) miles and then back to CA. (Another 1600 miles) and it's hard on lots of people---so, should they stay home?

In 1999, three of us went to the 4-corners rally , about 1,000 miles away, in Ignacio, CO a mile square American city surrounded by a HUGE UTE and NAVAJO reservation, to assist local LEO's with their crowd control and law enforcement issues. We couldn't stay with the Chief of police that time, as we had in the past so my Deputy Bud decided to take his nice big motorhome and I provided my nice big cargo trailer to haul the Harley's and one KLR 650 to the event. We stayed in a beautiful KOA.

It was so fun that 4 or 5 couples all decided to take their motorhomes and trailer their bikes. We had a ball. All of us were over 50, tired, worn out, with some bad disabilities and those were made up for by wealth and affluence, A/C, leather and Big screen TV. My bad:rolleyes:

Sam:D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A lot of folks trailer in because they are disabled and you can't see that as you scoot by and sneer at them....
I dunno...different folks for different folks I guess. I wouldn't own a piece of equipment that I couldn't operate.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well PORKY you made me feel bad......not. I'm 66 and have been riding for many decades in all types of weather. I'm a retired military sergeant with 24 years active service. I've ridden choppers that I've built, started my riding on a 1969 Triumph Bonneville I bought overseas, I ride a 125 scooter that my wife bought and right now a nice small adventure bike that does it all for me. You may refer to me as "Half witted"....But I've done my time and I can be critical of those that have not. I'm not judging folks that are crippled or can't take the time. I suppose I need to post a disclaimer and go in depth on whom I'm referring. It's the posers, the inept riders that only ride to the bar's or at the events for a "Hey Look At Me". Every event has them. It's like the guy in the racing fire suit walking around at the NASCAR race. He's not a driver , not a crew member and not involved with any team but he wants everyone to think he is. I have no problem with the guys that came to the adventure Camp N Ride on their Goldwings and pulled trailers with them. THEY RODE THERE in the rain, wind and cold just like the rest of us. Do they own an adventure bike? No but they are riders. However, pull in with the motorhome and let everyone know your not taking your megabuck adventure bike off the trailer unless it quits raining or the mud doesn't dry up.......well
P.S. Sturgis originally was a place to ride to.

bth_100_2423[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've never been and probably will never make it. But I don't really care how folks get there. If they own a bike and like to ride every day or twice a year, we still share a common interest.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Alaska Guy, there's a Cleveland meetup group I belong to called the Northcoast 99ers, They have 4 riders going to Sturgis. Cleveland's not too far for you to join up if you're looking for a group to go with.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts