Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a couple of bikers at a a recent conference I attended and had a great time understanding many things about riding techniques and the biking culture as a whole (You don't want to say something like "farkles" to a HD rider). Anyway, when I told him I would be getting a Burgman sometime in the near future, he asked if I would join the guys to Sturgis in August for the 75th Anniversary of the gathering there. I knew where Sturgis was after watching a guy from Houton ride to Alaska on Youtube and stop there. He wanted me to join because we all were pastors and wanted me to be a part of the FAITH Riders who would meet there. He tells me the town's population is around 14K and there were 800K bikers attending last year. Have any of you been to Sturgis and are there a lot of Burgmans around? Any chance I will get a atomic wedgie by the ****'s Angels? :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
cant say about Sturgis but can say about Bike Week and Biktoberfeast Daytona. I am sure its a lot like Daytona lots of sights bikes and folks.
Being I am still on my Goldwing but at Daytona you see all kinds of bikes any thing on two wheels so no you shouldn't have to worry bout Harley boys and girls . I have had some at Daytona even ask from the Harley crowds , Ask does it really have a reverse ??? I lol and say yes she does
comes in handy in big crowds lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the weight of the Goldwing, I imagine it is really needed.

·
Registered
857 Posts
You're a braver man than I if you wanted to ride your Burgman to Sturgis. Just heard too many negative stories.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I make an annual trek to Spearfish, SD in mid July for the Honda NT700 / ST1300 National gathering. It's only 25 miles west of Sturgis, and far removed from the drunks, pirate costumes, and other shenanigans found in Sturgis 3 weeks later in August.

Also, the great rides in western South Dakota are still spectacular, the people are friendly, and the prices are FAR less than a few weeks later during the Sturgis insanity.

Although I used to ride a NT700, I have been to Spearfish on my Burgman 400, and will go next summer on my 650. I am always welcomed to the event.

·
Registered
132 Posts
With the weight of the Goldwing, I imagine it is really needed.
LOL she a big girl but I really have only used it in tight spots she rolls pretty easy :cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dkesterson. Ride what you like to Sturgis. I agree with wingrery about Daytona that Harley riders are not a problem. Have ridden to both and prefer Sturgis for the variety of scenery. Once you get out of Sturgis and Rapid City the country side opens up. Less traffic. Great curvy roads and large Buffalo herds may be grazing along side the roads in Custer State Park. One could spend a day ridding around Custer State Park and not see all of it. Mt. Rushmore could be of interest, demo rides, etc. Sturgis was our destination and the icing on the cake was the ride out there and different roads coming home. Go and enjoy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’ve been to the Sturgis rally several times and I have never felt like I was going to get an atomic wedgie by the ****’s angles or anyone else. I have had only two negative events in the times I have attended. Once my friends and I stopped at a store close to Sturgis at night and this guy came in and told me I pulled out in front of him at an intersection down the road. I didn’t see him and really don’t think I did but I apologized and the event was over without further escalation. The other time I came back to my bike and something had hit my mirror and made a big dent to the outside of it. I didn’t find any other damage so that was as easy as replacing a mirror when I got home. I think both events were isolated events and not that common. For the most part it is an enjoyable rally to go to. They’re lots of fantastic riding and many beautiful motorcycles blinged out to the max to view. The majority of the bikes will be Harleys but all types will attend. Most people will be fully dressed in their leathers or other motorcycle apparel but it is possible to see a few scantily clad individuals. Also some of the biker gangs will attend but for the most part I don’t think they are looking for any trouble. Sturgis is heavily patrolled by the police in order to keep things civil. The places I have always camped were the quiet campgrounds. It’s really like any other place you go, you could always find the shadier places if that was what you were looking for. I would say go have a great time and enjoy the ride and experience.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will go either way - already committed to helping out. Was looking at the map and the Black Hills and loving the looks of it. Will join the guys there in August and spend some time in the Black Hills then travel to Seattle where many of my friends live. Should be a really pleasant trip.

Dale

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You won't have any trouble out there at all, unless you go looking for it. You'll run into the Angels, and the Banditos, and the Outlaws, and the Pagans, and every other group from all across the spectrum. They're there for the same reason you are - to enjoy the freedom of the road out in God's country. There's a lot more trouble to be had from underage women than from gangs of 1%ers.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've ridden to Sturgis many times on, Harley's, BMW's, Honda's. I had a saddlebag cover stolen off my Classic while viewing the new Harley's at Rapid City, nothing else.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I've ridden one of my two Japanese bike to Laughlin NV many times (I left AZ before I bought my Burgman though). Never had a problem there. Except permanent incremental hearing loss, from the thousands of straight-piped domestic V-twins :D especially when you are climbing rt. 68 to leave.
But I would ride Burgman to Sturgis IF I was going at all- except that it's usually HOT there in August, and prices of all things are ridiculous.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Except permanent incremental hearing loss, from the thousands of straight-piped domestic V-twins :D especially when you are climbing rt. 68 to leave.
But I would ride Burgman to Sturgis IF I was going at all- except that it's usually HOT there in August, and prices of all things are ridiculous.
Well the noise won't bother me a bit as i am deaf so it's usually quiet. ;)

The costs of my trip will be covered and hotel booked for me so not a problem. To be honest, I am not much for crowds (visual noise to me) but will tolerate it when there is a purpose to be served.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sturgis...loved it!

I was blessed to have gone to the Sturgis rally that just passed. I saw every brand of motorcycle and scooter known to mankind. And yes, I saw a lovely pack of Burgmans!

Nobody worth while will give you a bad time. Really, the worst you'll get are some smirks of envy.

And, there were lots of Christian riders and groups, too.

Have a wonderful time, and scoot proud.

P.S. Friday I trade my Harley Deluxe in for a 2013 White Burgman 650. I can no longer ride the big bikes due to arthritis, and stuff. I have NO hesitation to ride to Sturgis again on my Burgman (1,650 miles 1 way for me.)

I'm there to have fun, and don't give a "shift" what anyone thinks. :):eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts