Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Come on - we've all done it! That STOOPID thing where you look back a minute later (hopefully uninjured) and say, "That was stupid! I hope nobody was watching." Either working on your bike or riding it - share your "Stoopid Story".

Last week I was doing the Engine Oil/ CVT Oil/ and Gear Oil trio on my Burgman 650. After everything was full and caps were on (tupperware still off), I started the engine and let it run for a few minutes to get a more accurate oil level. (I had also changed the oil filter, so it was going to suck up some oil). Of course, an hour later, the oil was on the "Low" mark of the sight glass. So, I took off the oil fill cap and put my plastic funnel (about 8 inch diameter at the top) in the oil filler and proceeded to add just a couple ounces at a time. Slowly the level came up.

Well, while I was waiting for things to settle down for a final reading, I thought I would check the air filter. I proceeded to unscrew the electrical panel that covers the access, and pulled the electrical panel out. At this point I realized this was directly over the funnel in the oil fill tube. If the electrical panel had not had those "thingies" to keep the screws in place, I'm sure one would have fallen straight down the funnel into the crankcase. That would not have made my day. My guardian angel was watching out for me that day!

Stooooopid!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Shucks. I got a lot of them. After 45+ years of riding I got a slew of boneheaded things.

One particularly brain dead one was when I went to change the oil in my GS1000 Suzuki. Drained the old oil out, installed a new filter and then went for a ride. Without putting any new oil in the crankcase. A mile or so down the road I noticed an idiot (good name for it in my case) light that was now on that I was not familiar with. I studied it a bit before I noticed it was marked "OIL". DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! I hit the kill switch and coasted into a lady's driveway just knowing that I had just blown my engine. She graciously allowed me to use her phone (no cell phones back then) to call my wife and she brought me the gallon jug of 20W-50 GTX and a funnel and 10 minutes later I was on the road again. I guess no damage was done as the bike ran fine after that and never had any issues.

Nowadays, I put the fresh oil somewhere where I will see it before I ever get started on an oil change. Don't want that to ever happen again. That would have been expensive!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I went to do an oil change and mistook the swing arm bolt for the oil drain bolt. I Kept wrenching on it thinking, "Man, this is a long bolt". Had it out about a half inch before I realized my mistake and my bike almost broke in half. :D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Shortly after I started riding I tried to ride home in a snow storm. It wasn't coming down too hard at first but halfway home it started to come down very hard. At that point the visibility went to near zero. I was unsure where the road was and then i saw headlights coming directly towards me. I panicked a little and gave it too much brake. I went over the handlebars as the scoot went sideways. I ruined a brand new pair of jeans and did a little bit of damage to my scoot{scratched plastics, busted reflector and bent handlebar}. Luckily a guy in a Jeep stopped and I was able to follow him home by tracking off his taillights.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I forgot to add my stupid one from a few weeks ago. Approaching an intersection with a left turn lane, and our light is green. There are 3 cars ahead of me. There is one car approaching towards us from the opposite direction, but it is still a long ways off - and it's a 45MPH zone. Plenty of room for all 4 of us to turn left before that car makes it to the light. Good thing, because this is one of those 5-minute red lights. The first 2 cars turn left, then the lady in front of me stops even though the approaching car is still at least 100 yards away, going 45 MPH. I'm usually patient (OK, semi-patient) with others, but this time I hit the horn. I'm thinking, COME ON, GO! After I gave her a good dose of my horn, I looked up and realized the light had turned red.

Wow, I felt so stupid I almost pulled up next to her to apologize, but nowadays that will get you shot.

Lesson learned. :roll:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Too many to remember them all. Most recently there are the fork seals I put in backward and the drum brakes where I had the springs reversed (d'oh!). Not even scratching the surface though, lol.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I did an oil change and just as I finished my phone rang. After I get off the phone I started the scooter to let the filter fill whale I put a few tools away. I came back to turn off the scooter and I had left the fill cap(dipstick) off and oil was all over my car a every thing thing within four foot of that side of the scooter was covered with oil. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did an oil change and just as I finished my phone rang. After I get off the phone I started the scooter to let the filter fill whale I put a few tools away. I came back to turn off the scooter and I had left the fill cap(dipstick) off and oil was all over my car a every thing thing within four foot of that side of the scooter was covered with oil. :rolleyes:
Pulled the same stunt myself. Wondered why the engine noise also sounded louder. After two minutes, I saw the mess all over the right side of the bike and everything else nearby coated in a fine oily spray........

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh baby you're going to love this one!!!
Back in 2001 I bought me a Kawasaki Vulcan, I went to the dealership to pick up some helmet quick clips... As I pulled up by the doorway there was about 10 guys in a Harley-Davidson group that was standing around, as I pulled up they went " oh look it's Spock"... I feel enraged lol, I rolled off my bike and swaggered away looking every one of them thinking "oh yeah wannabe?" Lol of course I forgot to put the kickstand down and the bike fell over...10 new wannabes in polished new credit card leather got to laugh at me and watch as I struggle to stand her up...I shouted, something funny tiny boys, how's the new pleather working out? beam us up Scottie. Hee hee! Embarrassing lol

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My uncle works at the local dealership and he has some great stories. One of them is this guy who bought a brand new Harley, fully dressed out. The day came for him to take it home. He got on fired it up and gave it WAY too much throttle. He drove it a total of 20 yards right into a ditch. The service guys drug it into the shop and that day he added over $5000 to the total price.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've got plenty of them too. Many years ago, (2002, I think) I was riding through Cades Cove in the GSMNP. It was late afternoon and the 1-lane road was jammed (as it often is on a beautiful summer afternoon) and I was just at the 7 o'clock point on the loop when I spotted a sign for Forge Creek Road. "Well!" I said to myself, "That road will take you right up the side of the mountain and drop you off on 129 right between The Dragon and Chilhowee Lake - I'm going to take it!"

I should have realized that the fact that the road ran right through a (small) stream just past the parking area was a BAD sign... The road was a fire trail at first. It was rough, but perfectly doable for the first quarter mile. Then it began to get steep. Then it began to get so steep that I'd slide backwards if my forward momentum stopped. And this was WAY before I got anywhere near the top of the first mountain.

At this point I came to my senses and realized I should turn around - which would have been a lot easier if the road hadn't become more of a cowpath, and then a footpath, in the interim. So I made a 23-point turn and in the process, killed the motor. I didn't worry about it right then, since I was only able to hump it a foot or two so I didn't try to restart until I finally got the bike turned around.

And the battery was too tired to restart the motor. Ever try to push-start a bike on muddy gravel? Good thing I was on the side of a mountain! I did eventually get her started and limped home to the San Ran in Robbinsville. The next morning, I walked across the street and bought a battery charger at the hardware store. The whole thing is a lot funnier in hindsight than it was at the time...

Many lessons learned that day!

·
Registered
753 Posts
OK- and how about just something on a bike ride? Stupid and embarrassing both.

Around thirty years ago I was on my Yamaha RD400 and buddy Jimmy was on his Suzuki GS850G. We stopped at the small town (then) of Katy Texas to have some grub at a tiny Mexican eatery. It was around 3pm and the place had no customers but us. Perfect.

Fifteen minutes later we were drinking a fine Dos Equis beer and chowing down on some equally fine authentic Mexican vittles when I felt a rumble come from below deck. It built quickly and I needed to relieve some pressure in a hurry. A quick glance over both shoulders assured me that we were still alone in the room and lifting a cheek I rid myself of that excess pressure. It was not silent or short in duration. Not by a long shot. It was like someone was slowly ripping apart three feet of wet canvas. I was pretty proud of it and knew that Jimmy would appreciate it as well.

But Jimmy was not laughing. He was turning bright red and trying to hide behind a menu. Before I could ask him what was wrong he used his fork to point over my shoulder to the table right behind my back. I slowly turned to discover that a young woman with her two teenaged daughters had sat down behind us and I, of course, had not seen them come in.

Well, what could I do at that point? The cat might not have been out of the bag but something else certainly was and no cat ever smelled that bad either. I started to mutter some sort of apology but before I could get any words out all three were headed for the door with three hands holding three noses and six eyes glaring back at me. Not one of my finer moments.

Later, Jimmy had to go into lurid detail and tell everyone about the gaseous event. Even our wives were not spared. He still loves brings it up whenever I see him.

The moral to this story is not to look before you leap but something very similar to that. Something that I made sure to do from then on anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Back in my youth while riding an old XL350 Honda I was admiring some itsy bitsy shorts on a pretty little blond girl..... I abruptly discovered a taxi that was in front of me as I flew over it and the bike embedded itself into the back window.

Does that count?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Your eyes were almost on their last legs! ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've got plenty of them too. Many years ago, (2002, I think) I was riding through Cades Cove in the GSMNP. It was late afternoon and the 1-lane road was jammed (as it often is on a beautiful summer afternoon) and I was just at the 7 o'clock point on the loop when I spotted a sign for Forge Creek Road. "Well!" I said to myself, "That road will take you right up the side of the mountain and drop you off on 129 right between The Dragon and Chilhowee Lake - I'm going to take it!"

I should have realized that the fact that the road ran right through a (small) stream just past the parking area was a BAD sign... The road was a fire trail at first. It was rough, but perfectly doable for the first quarter mile. Then it began to get steep. Then it began to get so steep that I'd slide backwards if my forward momentum stopped. And this was WAY before I got anywhere near the top of the first mountain.

At this point I came to my senses and realized I should turn around - which would have been a lot easier if the road hadn't become more of a cowpath, and then a footpath, in the interim. So I made a 23-point turn and in the process, killed the motor. I didn't worry about it right then, since I was only able to hump it a foot or two so I didn't try to restart until I finally got the bike turned around.

And the battery was too tired to restart the motor. Ever try to push-start a bike on muddy gravel? Good thing I was on the side of a mountain! I did eventually get her started and limped home to the San Ran in Robbinsville. The next morning, I walked across the street and bought a battery charger at the hardware store. The whole thing is a lot funnier in hindsight than it was at the time...

Many lessons learned that day!
I think your biggest mistake was riding into that park in the first place. I did it once and I will NEVER do it again. Stop and go for hours, only to wind up in Gatlnburg! My second biggest mistake resulted in my one highside in 58 years of riding and a resultant hairline skull fracture. But I'll take that any day over GSMNP and Gatlinburg.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Your eyes were almost on their last legs! ;)
I got her attention, but not her ph # :(
Cops got a great laugh as I told the story hehe.

My best friend who owned the bike, has never let me forget it either :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Back in 1986 I had recently gotten out of the Army and bought myself a new Ninja 600 bike, $3600 OTD. I was my second street bike and I was sure proud of it. Late one night while cruising down Central avenue, the local cruising spot, I was paying more attention to some girls on the sidewalk than the car just in front of me that had hit it's brakes. Yup, by the time I realized that traffic had stopped I had just enough time to grab a handful of brake lever and almost managed to stop but just hit the rear bumper of the car in front of me. I must have been going 1-2 mph on impact but it was enough to cause me to lose my balance and down the bike fell onto the road, providing everyone within sight a good laugh. The car I hit quickly and immediately took off perhaps thinking they were somehow to blame or fearing a possible police investigation, who knows. I quickly lifted the bike up and sped off in shame.

While that was a stupid thing for me to do it isn't the stupid part of the story.......... This is.

The only damage to the bike was some minor scrapes to one side of the fairing and a broken turn signal. I was lucky because at least back then Kawasaki sold touch up paint in spray cans, but because the color that got scratched was pearl white, I had to buy each a can of base coat white, pearl, and clear coat. I finally received all the paint and the turn signal and did the repair. It came out perfect and you could never tell anything had happened to the bike. I thought then to take up the vocation of auto body paint man, I was so impressed with the repair. Anyway, later that same day I needed to do some work on my 1980 Corvette which was parked in my one car carport. I opened up the hood which flips forward and then realized I needed to pull the car out of the carport. I was worried that the hood might hit the overhead beam that supported the carport, so I had my girlfriend at the time keep an eye on the hood in relationship to the beam, as I pulled the Vette out. I'm slowly backing up trying to concentrate on the hood, the beam and my girlfriend. This is when the Homer Simpson D'oh moment happens. As I'm backing out I hear the terrible sound of something crashing to the ground right behind me in the driveway. Yup, the bike I just fixed not 2 hours earlier hits the ground after I backed into it with the Vette. The bike falls onto the same side, scratching the same fairing panel in the same spot and breaking the same turn signal as last time it hit the ground. At least I still had more than enough paint to repair it again and only needed to order a turn signal. Unfortunately the next repair didn't turn out as nice as the first one and thus my aspirations of someday becoming an auto body paint man were dashed and I pursued other avenues of employment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have one! Just after I got our 400, was maneuvering it around the garage with the engine running, lanced to the right and went down but not before putting a perfect black circle on the floor. I put dirt over it hoping my wife never sweeps. Not funny at the time!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Stupid things i've done

Just bought a used 2012 650 with 1850 miles and decided to change the oil so I knew where I was at. I have a crank up platform lift and when the oil was in wanted to run it to check the oil. Wouldn't start. For some reason I felt the problem was the lockout on the kickstand. Fiddled with it but no luck. Tried this tried that and finally decided to take to dealer. When I started to back it off saw the kill switch was off. What a relief. Then I remembered when I used to ride to work we would shut off your buddys kill switch just to watch his frustration.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Dumbest thing I did was buy my first bike is 1977. This is pre BRC. I managed to not die getting it off the lot and 2 miles to where I was living (proximity of the dealer played a large role in bike selection). Once I got home I did about 45 minutes of parking lot training. I learned to ride it on Monday during my 65 mile commute from Tampa to Sarasota.

I probably became something if an urban legend at Suzuki of Tampa as I got a 3000 mile service done every three - four weeks. The bike was a GS400 and it was a great bike. 65 - 70K in a little over a year and never a problem.

37 years later and I'm commuting on a 400.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts