Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!, today I finally decided to start researching prices in my area. I've been lurking for many weeks here and have enjoyed the tremendous information provided by this site....

I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area where 650 Burgmans are few and far between, but I found a 2004 Silver 650 that supposedly had just come out of the crate to floor in the past couple of days. This is in a place called Mesquite which is in the local area.

Anyway, I asked for an out the door, everything included price (granted this was by phone) and the grand total was - $9001 !!!

It took me a couple of seconds to gather myself...and, I almost said "Are you kidding?".

Come to find out after all the minor costs that the State of Texas throws in, there was also a $570 dealer prep charge. I figured too that he must have been figuring retail and then some for the bike itself.

Am I overreacting to this price? From the info I've seen on this board this price would probably seem astronomical to most....right?

I certainly intend to continue shopping, but this first stop sure floored me. Of course, I realize that walking in with cash in hand will probably make a difference, but per the salesman "they can't come down too much". At this point I almost wanted to tell him to "you know what".

Take care everyone...I will update when I score a good deal ("fair" would be just fine also),
Chuck

·
Registered
520 Posts
cwherb said:
Wow!, today I finally decided to start researching prices in my area. I've been lurking for many weeks here and have enjoyed the tremendous information provided by this site....

I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area where 650 Burgmans are few and far between, but I found a 2004 Silver 650 that supposedly had just come out of the crate to floor in the past couple of days. This is in a place called Mesquite which is in the local area.

Anyway, I asked for an out the door, everything included price (granted this was by phone) and the grand total was - $9001 !!!

It took me a couple of seconds to gather myself...and, I almost said "Are you kidding?".

Come to find out after all the minor costs that the State of Texas throws in, there was also a $570 dealer prep charge. I figured too that he must have been figuring retail and then some for the bike itself.

Am I overreacting to this price? From the info I've seen on this board this price would probably seem astronomical to most....right?

I certainly intend to continue shopping, but this first stop sure floored me. Of course, I realize that walking in with cash in hand will probably make a difference, but per the salesman "they can't come down too much". At this point I almost wanted to tell him to "you know what".

Take care everyone...I will update when I score a good deal ("fair" would be just fine also),
Chuck
RUN from this dealer!!!!! Here is what I took to MY dealer. This OTD price really MEANS "out the door". NO extra costs, fees, nothing. I paid cash. My dealer had to "dealer swap" to get one at this price but still did so. Whined about 1-2 minutes about not making any money etc before I just told him to shut up! Reminded him I used to WORK there 25 years ago. I paid a TOTAL of $7499.00 PERIOD. The dealer in the following link ships worldwide cheap too. Ask for Robert. Here's the link:

http://www.layamaha.com/scooter.htm

Good luck and hang in there! Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yikes! $9000 is very close to what I paid for my DL1000 V-Strom with the optional hard luggage and centerstand. My Burgman 650 was almost $2000 less the the V-Strom! That dealer should be arrested for attempted robbery!

$570 for dealer prep is also absurd. Think about it. If their prep guy spent 3 hours at $70/hr setting up the scooter, that would be $210. Chances are that he'll spend less time than that - you'd be lucky if the tires are properly inflated at many dealerships.

Now, if they try to rip you off that bad on the sale, what do you think their service costs will be like? Bottom line, you don't want to go back there.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
pauljo's right, you don't want to go back, at least not to buy . I would go back armed with with what you have found out here and ask him if just maybe he made a mistake ?
If nothing else perhaps you can show him not everyone is as stupid as he thinks. :shock:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Be glad you're not in So. Kalifornia. Most of the dealers here tack on well over one thousand dollars for set-up & freight. (And figure that we are right next door to where they come in so how much can the freight be?)
The figure you mention is well less than even the cheapest I have seen anywhere around here.
With tax, title, license, added dealer markup, extended warrenty you could be over ten thousand even before you add in insurance. Then think how much more it is if you finance it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Chuck, when I bought my wife's 650 they tried that prep charge on me also and I just told them I wouldn't pay it and that I would just keep looking and they decided to drop the prep charge...

·
Registered
45 Posts
OTD Price

I watched a new Burgman for several months pick up nicks and scratches on the dealer floor. I offered $7000 OTD and it was accepted. Couldn't be happier with the bike. The (minor) nicks and scratches were worth $1,000 to me. Living in SoCal there are numerous options, just as you find in your area. Making a deal can be a delicate balance between convenience, reputation for service, price, etc. You will find what you want if you can be patient and keep looking.

·
Registered
428 Posts
gruntled said:
Be glad you're not in So. Kalifornia. Most of the dealers here tack on well over one thousand dollars for set-up & freight. (And figure that we are right next door to where they come in so how much can the freight be?)
The figure you mention is well less than even the cheapest I have seen anywhere around here.
With tax, title, license, added dealer markup, extended warrenty you could be over ten thousand even before you add in insurance. Then think how much more it is if you finance it.

LOL!!!
No no no no no. You can get'em all over this GREAT state for MSRP as your OTD price. Cheaper if your patient and willing to drive a bit. I see an '04 now listed in Covina (which IS in So. Calif., for those not) for $5,999 + tax & license.

Peace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your input...

Today I found a 03' Silver, still in the crate in Houston...

OTD is $7221....certainly a much better quote. At least it is in line with what I have read.

Again, thanks all...
Chuck

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Chuck,

I'd make it a point to ride to the high priced dealer (on the Burgman bought elsewhere) and point out to them they lost the sale because of unreasonable pricing. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
billmeek said:
I'd make it a point to ride to the high priced dealer (on the Burgman bought elsewhere) and point out to them they lost the sale because of unreasonable pricing. :twisted:
:lol: Yeah! I like that idea! It's definitely someting I'd do. :twisted:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dealer

I paid $7700 all inclusive from same dealer. Kicked myself as there is a silver burg 1000 miles clearview screen on ebay going for 5 grand

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
cwherb said:
Thanks to everyone for your input...

Today I found a 03' Silver, still in the crate in Houston...

OTD is $7221....certainly a much better quote. At least it is in line with what I have read.

Again, thanks all...
Chuck
Chuck

You do not have to buy new.
They do pop up here from time to time as 'pre-loved' but have to go - often at very attractive prices.
Of course, you may have to factor in shipping or if you have the time and the distances involved (and weather) are not too great an obstacle - then this could present an adventurous start to Burgman ownership.
The other bonus is that if it has say 5000 miles on it, it is run in and hopefully past its first 2 services - so no 'running in frustrations'.

Good luck in your quest whatever you choose to do. :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
From one Chuck to another (nice name btw)...
One dealer here in Calif tried to make me think I was getting the deal of the century by quoting an $8100 OTD price. I told him we had nothing more to discuss and I walked out. Ended up getting an OTD price of $7499 somewhere else. I doubt the dealer that quoted you $9k will ever sell any at that price. You can also get them used for around $6k with reasonable miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
RE: 650 STICKER SHOCK

Hey CW,

I agree with the last poster--RUN FROM THAT DEALER! I paid $7375 OTD, for a brand new 2003.

I bought from a dealer over 200 miles from my house! I could not find any local dealer that even had a 650--much less willing to straight talk a deal on one! If you have a P/U truck, driving a little, or even a lot, is well worth the trip. The 650 easily fits in even a compact bed. I will always patronize a dealer who is trying to win a customer for life--regardless of their distance. Many dealers are very short sighted and only think of the quick sale on one unit. Why!? Do they really think this will be the last M/C that I ever buy?

If you don't have a truck, shipping is another option. $500-$750 will ship a 650 coast to coast.

Be safe, Jay Jacobson.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
just wondering if you got one and from what dealer in Houston if you did?
Stubbs was selling their 03's at 180 over invoice when I was going to get one. Still waiting, we had to buy a house first. But next spring I'll be looking for the 05's to be in around here and wanted to know where you got yours and what the service was like?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cheaper price in TX for Burger 650

Hey I live in DFW area and found a new 03 burgman in Feb 04 for $6700 at Sherman Power Sports. Rode out there, traded my old bike and rode away on the new scoot back to Arlington for $7100 total. I was charged prep fee and would have haggled over it but forgot about it. It was a fair deal so I wasn't too upset.

Give them a try. They advertise in Cycle Trader. They had 1 650 and 1 400 at the time.

Also gimme a buzz when you purchase and we we go for a spin. Just got back from a nice ride on Sun. I've only seen 2 other riders here in metropolex.

Now at 5K happy trouble free miles, Chris :shock:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Keep looking

Chuck,
My wife and I just bought two 04 Burgman 650's. The Silver left over model went for $6,900.00 with no extra charges other than tax. Dealer had to find my wifes Black 650 from another dealer close and it went for
$7,100 with no extra charges other than tax. I realize we live in rural Iowa, but we checked three other dealers before buying form the Otley Iowa dealer. The other 3 dealers we checked were very proud of their stock too. Your in the drivers seat. Keep driving until your happy.

Take care,
Helix :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dealer was so unpleasant to work with that I almost found myself going to look at Silverwings!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts