Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We completed a 1,500 mile trip from near Chattanooga, TN up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, and then into Washington DC and back on I-81 and I-75 last week. The bike ran beautifully without so much as a hickup. Today we were out for a ride and pulled up to a stop light after running about 45 for a couple miles. As the light turned green and I twisted the throttle, it acted like it was locked in about 4th gear. The engine could not rev up and acceleration was very slow. I tried putting it in manual mode and shifting down or up manually, but it had no effect. It's like it was locked into 3rd or 4th gear. I took it out of manual mode and it seemed to make no difference. As we got up to about 35-40 MPH, suddenly it returned to normal. I made several other stops and starts after that without incident. Any ideas about what is going on?

This is a 2008 Executive with about 16,400 miles on it. Oil and all fluids were changed less than 2,000 miles ago and are at their proper levels.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Sounds like the ECM received a bad signal or no signal from one of the sensors and went into fail safe (limp home) mode. It could have been a one time glitch, a loose connection on a wire or a sensor failure.

I would watch it and it it doesn't happen again then write it up as a one time glitch.

The other possibility is that the PPS hung up and did not move with the pulley so the ECM though the CVT was in one ratio when it was in another. If you want to check something you can pull the PPS out and ensure it is moving through it's full range smoothly. It's not a hard job to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Buffalo. I re-familiarized myself with the PPS and agree that it is most likely what happened. I'm going to just watch it as you suggest. If it happens again I will order a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts