Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I answered the questions in the Geico motorcycle insurance web form for a new policy (the old one had not been renewed long back.) "Congratulations," they said, "You have qualified for your state's minimum premium." My quote was $99, grumble grumble, doesn't sound so cheap to me.

And at that point I started adding extras, comprehensive with $500 deductible, collision with $1K, and road hazard coverage. Recalculating ... new quote: $99!

I muttered something under my breath Popeye-style, and changed the deductibles ... $100 and $100. Recalculating ... new quote: $99!

Hmm. I am beginning to see a pattern here. As other coverages are added, the liability premiums are reduced, such that the total is $99. Maybe this is a Mississippi-only thing ("your state's minimum premium")?

Anyway, I am not pleased that I am paying $99/year, but I am pleasantly surprised to have full coverage and low deductibles this time!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
$99 a year? I'd love that. Think I'm at $650 for the two bikes. Consider yourself lucky. Or at least well located for insurance premiums.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
$54.36 per month for my 650 & my son's Victory Vision. Oh yea I use to have Gieco & switched to save $$. I can't even renew my license plate for $99 a year here in California.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had a similar issue with Progressive several years ago when the minimum premium. I was able to add collision and comprehensive to the coverage before I reached the minimum premium. The minimum at that time was $75.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Manitoba, Canada my 650 cost $500.00 which is reasonable compared to anything that has a clutch, all other bikes the insurance can be upwards of $1800.00

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had a bad experience with GEICO. Several years ago, after having a policy for over 2 years, they cancelled the policy, without telling me for 6 months. Only when I went to renew did I found out. Never again with them.

Your expericence may vary.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
You can't compare insurances rates - it's like comparing apples and oranges. So many things affect rates - for instance. I had Foremost in AZ for years. I paid about $100 a year. Moved to OH a couple of years ago, and here in OH, I pay $218 for exact same coverage. Can't compare premiums from state to state or even vehicle to vehicle. Two people with identical bikes, even living across the street from each other, can pay vastly different rates even with the same insurance company....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You can't compare insurances rates - it's like comparing apples and oranges. So many things affect rates - for instance. I had Foremost in AZ for years. I paid about $100 a year. Moved to OH a couple of years ago, and here in OH, I pay $218 for exact same coverage. Can't compare premiums from state to state or even vehicle to vehicle. Two people with identical bikes, even living across the street from each other, can pay vastly different rates even with the same insurance company....
I don't think we were trying to compare rates, just point out that $99 a year is not that bad, at all.

When I was young and poor and down about my finances or girlfriends, my roommate and I would go to the local watering hole, Del's cocktail saloon to be exact, within crawling distance of our apartment. And after a couple of hours, we felt much better after hearing real woes from the other patrons. We really didn't have it that bad. We were young, single, no kids, college educated, had good jobs and the future was suddenly bright afterwards.

Sometimes a little perspective can make things better.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Here cost $700.00, would love $99.00 insurance cost.

If you ride sport bike here it cost $1200.00 - $1400.00.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm paying $218/yr for 100/300 comp/collision and it seems high - local counties pay around half that, but I live in Hillsborough county. But when my son (who was 24 at the time) wanted to get a new Gixxer, the same company (Geico) wanted $6,000/year.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Being 18, insurance isn't that bad for my 400. 200 a year for full comprehensive and $100 deductable. I paid that per month for basic on my terrible car. Never drive it anyway.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My 2006 is costing me $250 a year for the full coverage. This is up $40 from my Zuma 50cc but I figured it would be a little higher.

The rates differ radically from state to state and even city to city. Plus other factors such as age and driving history can make the costs very different.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think we were trying to compare rates, just point out that $99 a year is not that bad, at all.
I live here because I am a cheap0, and lots of things are cheap. My house, for example, I got for a song (would have paid cash, but they insisted on a cashier's check.)

It seems like a lot to me, because I never expect to get anything for it. I'm not worried about incurring any liability. I don't need full coverage for a vehicle which was this cheap.

But indeed, everyone's point is taken, $99 isn't bad compared to others. I see it like a tax, and I'm glad it's not worse.

One of the questions was if I had taken a MSF safety course. I answered truthfully, yes. But that was in Kansas over 30 years ago. I would have no idea how to verify that. So tomorrow I'm enrolled in the Experienced Rider Course in Nashville. That should be fun. A whole day on the bike, from before dawn to very late. (I hope I'm feeling good tomorrow morning!)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You know, I don't even know how much per year my insurance is on my Burgman. I have my house, three SUV's, and two motorcycle on my policy through State Farm. I get a big discount for insuring everything through them and know what my yearly payment is for everything. <shrug>

Doug from Kentucky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts