Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike runs great but will whine a bit for the first few minutes on throttle up. After a few start/stops the sound goes away. There's no performance issue though. Help me. Love the ride, happy new year all

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
how many miles on it?
I hear belt whine sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only has about 3000 miles. I heard revving the engine with the back brakes on can take some of the built up laquer off. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
open it up and clean the belt dust out, this is pretty normal at this stage on your (both of my) bike it will quiet down after cleaning

·
Registered
338 Posts
The bike is 2008 with 3,000 miles? Based on age, I would open/replacebelt/clean replace rollers.

Based on personal experience----new, fresh OEM belt can last safely 20,000 highway miles, BUT at 20,000 on my 2011 put on road Feb 2012---front pulley worn out, rollers needed replacing and new belt. I generally ride only on warranty, Suzuki warranty paid labor, parts and put on of new belt I had on hand.

After near 300,000 rubber band scooter miles---I use only OEM parts/belts. TIP: on driveline chatter, running up engine against brakes for 10 seconds=works....for awhile. Of the various rubber band scooters I have purchased new(TMAX/Silverwing/ReFlex/Helix, Burgman 400) the Burgman seems to have the worst drive line take up/take off....and is the quickest to wear out....and as miles accumulate, I find rear outer clutch bearing needs look at or replacement.

Ride a lot the rubber band drive scooters can be expensive to keep---think 40,000 miles a year and what? 3belt replacements/front pulley replacements and labor if you cannot do yourself. Not cheap and this type maint. should/must be done....think one break down on the road and the lost time/repair/towing costs. Not cheap, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it difficult to do (clean out the sediment), or should I foot the bill for the mechanic. If its just a matter of screws and removal, I'm good. Let me know. You guys rock. Cheers, Bryan

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Not a hard job, though I don't know your mechanical skill level.

8mm socket removes the plastic CVT cover bolts
8mm socket removes the many bolts holding the metal case cover
two 8mm diameter bolts (I think) push the clutch bearing out of the case cover
Somehow, keep track of where the small bolts go- there are different sizes- sketch a template of the CVT case is easiest way
24mm or 15/16 inch socket removes the variator and clutch nuts
Pull off the variator and clutch assy.

All of this is explained in a HOW TO on this site

When you assemble, hold the two halves of the variator together, or else the rollers will fall out and get pinched. Yes I know about this :oops:

See the HOW TO for tightening torques.....

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
to do the cleaning , remove the cover, expose the belt and clutch as per the tutorial, and get a vacuum and vacuum out all the crud you can see , move stuff around and more crud will appear, clean that up too, if you have a girlfriend or wife , have her use high pressure air to clean behind everything then wait across the street while she cleans up the garage and house , then put it all back together and you are done

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Wile you have the clutch bell off clean all the dust out and grease the bearings in the clutch center,
it may help if you slightly chamfer the leading edge of the clutch shoes.
Try parking it on the side stand, strangely this seems to make a difference to clutch noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts