Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me identify a strange noise coming from my 650? It is a mechanical noise lasting about 3 seconds every 2-3 minutes. It is quite loud (annoying the neighbours), and sounds like it's coming from the transmission area. It is most noticeable straight after I get home; not sure how long it goes for, but I've been home for an hour and it's still going! :cry:
It's driving me nuts!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
What - with the engine off?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
My first stab would be a 'cooling down' noise and would examine the exhaust first - the old screwdriver to the ear job may help pin it down.

Of course the transmission gets well hot too and that has to contract as it cools down so the same test would apply.

I am not familiar with the 650 at all but if it were my machine I would do the above and possibly loosen and retighten all exhaust mounting fixings for starters.

Sorry I can not be of more specific help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks NormanB. This noise hardly requires the screwdriver test - it is LOUD! I think it's coming from the transmission, and is a kind of 'robotic' sort of noise, more like when you change from auto to manual only louder. It's not like a normal 'contracting metal' noise. It's more mechanical.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Oh - I see! (not hear :wink: ).

Maybe if you were able to post a 'wav file' some of our 650 experienced owners could comment.

But anyway you know this ain't right - but at least it is repeatable and demonstrable (as opposed to an intermittent fault) and a warranty investigation is probable the way ahead - but I reckon you may lose your bike for a while. :cry:

I do hope you are able to resolve this quickly m8!

All the best.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
This noise - whatever it is - is not normal. I'd go back to the dealer with it. It may be a bad cooling fan bearing or something of that nature - but that is only a wild guess. I've had my 650 for eleven months and 9500 miles - it makes no noise after I shut it off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think your noise may only be the fuel tank pressure relief valve blowing off, mine does it too and it is mentioned in the owner's manual (if everything else fails...read the manual),page 20.
The manual refers to it as awhistle but it sounds more like a chook being strangled !!
Bazza

·
Registered
140 Posts
Burgermeister, just noticed you're a Sydney sider. I'm at Gosford. Ulysses club member ???? I've had my Burger 12 months and 18000 klix. Feel free to call to talk Burgman
(43 654321)
Bazza

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Baz, I knew my description was deficient as soon as I read yours!!
Is there a cure in the manual? I will check when I get home.

Thanks,
Burgermeister

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Baz,

Thanks, I'll give you a call.
I believe I'm now old enough to become a 'junior' member. Could you let me know the contact details?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
burgermeister said:
Can anyone help me identify a strange noise coming from my 650? It is a mechanical noise lasting about 3 seconds every 2-3 minutes. It is quite loud (annoying the neighbours), and sounds like it's coming from the transmission area. It is most noticeable straight after I get home; not sure how long it goes for, but I've been home for an hour and it's still going! :cry:
It's driving me nuts!
This calls for a trip straight to your dealer. There is no normal noise that should be alternating on and off for over an hour.

This could be a short in the starter system, a problem with the SECVT, the cooling fan starting up, etc. Only a thorough diagnostic can tell for sure, but it's almost certainly a warranty issue.

(The curiosity is killing me. Be sure to report back when you find out what it is!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts