Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Burgman 400. I just got it and have only done about 1000 miles with it. There is a slight rumbling coming frome the final drive area. As I manually spin the rear tire, it isn't a smooth rotation, but almost like there is a gear meshing issuue, or possibly a bearing that is about to let go. If there is anyone out there that can shed some light on this, or is experiencing anything similar, I would like to hear from you. I just don't want to start tearing things apart when there isn't an issue to address, or go out and buy the wrong part only to have the problem return after installing it.

All suggestions are welcome..

Thanks

Roger
Worcester Massachusetts.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
That bearing is only turning when the clutch is not engaged so you don't have much worry about it locking up and causing you to slide or anything like that. What is a worry is if it does lock up it will be like the clutch does not disengage so the engine will die when you come to a halt and getting the bike started and moving again will be difficult.

It is not difficult to change out but you will have to pull the secondary pulley of the CVT off the bike to gain access to it. Mine started growling somewhere around 12,000 miles and I just let it go until I did my first belt swap at 21,000 miles. At that point I installed a new one.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Would have to take my CVT apart to take pictures so that's not likely to happen soon :). I think there are some on the board somewhere but I haven't figured out this new software enough yet to find them.

Basically to get to the bearing you need to pull the secondary pulley off the bike. When you have taken your belt off then remove the nut that holds the secondary pulley on. With it off you can pull the whole assembly off the shaft. Turn it over and you will see the bearing in the center on the back.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like it. You should also be able to hear it just by turning the rear wheel with the engine off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for responding with the information. I sent for a bearing set and seals. When I replace the rear tire I will open up the drive assembly and install the parts.

Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts