Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I say, "Perfect Storm" it means, "A chance or rare combination of individual elements, circumstances, or events that together form a disastrous, catastrophic, or extremely unpleasant problem or difficulty."

IOW my Burgman 400 let me stranded in the middle of a very desolate area yesterday :(, just 13 miles from home, I was out cruising around close to Ocklawaha river checking out some cheap houses/properties(long story), drove about 4 miles down a very desolate country road, made several turns and lost my heading, ended up in the middle of this housing development with mostly partially built/unfinished homes, no residents, I was looking for a "shady" place to pull over and look at my phone/gps to see my location, it was 11am almost 90F and very sunny, decided to do a quick stop at a road crossing and just walk over to shade three of the road, did so, came back to scooter, turned key, all normal noises, hit starter button, got the solenoid clicking sound for a few seconds and instrument panel went blank, battery is flatlined ... :censored: , quick check of battery terminals, no joy :confused:

So why is a perfect storm, I was still sitting in the Florida summer sun, there is no shade I can roll scooter to, my wife is out of town, 2 friends that can help are not available, can barely get a cellphone signal and there's no traffic I can wave down for help, walking 4-5 miles to a main road in this heat not smart, with a bad heart! Finally, after 2.5 hours I got some help from family and barely made it home :(, a different story in itself, just finished the repairs today.

Takeaway, really none IMO, maybe I should had checked the battery or had a portable jump starter, but also a tire plugger kit, maybe I should not ride along etc., etc., where does it end, sometimes sh** just happens and sometimes is a "Perfect Storm"

PS. The way the battery failed is odd, may start a thread explaining that part.

Cloud Sky Plant Tire Wheel

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Boy glad you're home safe !

Sounds like you trouble-shot or shooted it, so that's good right ?

This summer sun & heat is no joke.

Esp in the South as we are...no respite by 10am hits 90 and now at 9pm here finally hit 89 deg.

Got my 30" Shop Fan making a breeze happen... otherwise I'd not be outside lol.

Fortunately my "Scooter Garage" a 5"X10" carport is in direct line with fan so work area is no TOO bad.

I'm contemplating a trip from East Texas to Destin Florida to see family & wanna take the AN400 - so I've got similar concerns - can it make it - can I make it - am I crazy ?!?

I was thinking what do you do on a long Motorcycle tour if you have a flat ?

My tires being new yet I can still get a nail ?!

Have no knowledge mainly guesses.

No spare as a car has !

Anyhow glad you're safe & all worked out.

As my dear late wife would say "you trust in the LORD & take wise action ahead of crisis time...."

Cheers - David

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
I was thinking what do you do on a long Motorcycle tour if you have a flat ?
1) You carry a tire plug kit and a compressor, in hopes that the nail landed in the tread part of the tire (vs. the sidewall).

Here's StopNGo's plug page:

This is the version that I carry:

I actually tested their mushroom plug, maybe 20 years ago, to give myself practice on a car tire, a couple of weeks before I was getting new car tires all around. Worked fine.

Other folks prefer the string kind of plugs, e.g.:

Dynaplugs are also pretty popular:

Carrying CO2 cartridges is really old school, and fairly dumb, IMO, especially if you have a slow leak that needs refilling a lot on your way to a shop. There are gobs of outfits that make small 12V air compressors.

And then head for your nearest motorcycle shop, to get, or order, a new tire.

2) Get a flatbed tow to a motorcycle shop.

AAA, or AMA (the Motorcyclist Assn, not the medical group) has free towing with automatic credit-card renewal for their membership (e.g., me), and most insurance policies let you purchase a towing rider for around $10.

You may have to wait a day or two for a shop to get our fairly rare tire sizes, but that's motorcycle touring for you. I once had to wait two days in a motel in Hagerstown, MD, when I was on my way from NY to NC. My rear-wheel bearings failed, and even the nearby Suzuki shop -- which I rode slowly to -- had to order them. Luckily, sort of, a motel was within walking distance of the shop. Bring a book.

• Love
Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
A salutary lesson.. Pleased it worked out OK.

Your signature almost invited this to happen...;)
"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE hardly any MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE"
=================
Batteries do that sometimes. My other bike's battery failed overnight, only 8 months from "new".
Fortunately, at home.
------------------------------
On the puncture thing - I carry "sticky string" and mini compressor. Had great success on 5 occasions now, always playing the Samaritan, - other peoples' bikes. First puncture I get, is in my TUBED other bike, new tyre, less than 300 miles. I carry spare tube and tyre irons on that now.
Some laugh at my "over-caution", but others have been grateful of it, and may be in the future.

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
I can tell you from experience if you are gonna plug a tire on a bike in Florida during the summer in the direct sun, you will def need an advance on your allowance of badwords!

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your signature almost invited this to happen...;)
"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE hardly any MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE"
"My hat's off to you", I kind of saw that one coming, just waiting to see, who was actually reading and paying attention to that detail (y). I actually came up with that line back in the late 70"s + 80's, when I was living dangerously, driving mostly Kawasaki sport bikes in very crazy and mostly illegal ways :censored:, don't know exactly how I survived, a lot of friends did not :cry:

Obviously, the 1st part is from my life long "TREKKY" addiction, but this part " IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE " I like to believe is original :unsure::cool:

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
1) You carry a tire plug kit and a compressor
Just got this off of EBay for $16 ….. said refurbed but looks brand new. The real deal is that it includes the battery and charger.

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
Just got this off of EBay for $16 ….. said refurbed but looks brand new. The real deal is that it includes the battery and charger.

I think that might be more appropriate for a car than a bike. I mean, looks a little on the large size (unless I decided to find another Victory bagger).

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I have AAA here in the Southwest since they will tow a motorcycle 100 miles and a car 200. Kinda pricey but covers all my vehicles, will bring fuel or test your battery and replace it at a discounted price if I read the insurance right. Also has bicycle roadside assistance.

The distances out here are pretty long sometimes between towns with no guarantee the next town can assist you on a repair. At least 100 miles will get the bike off the road where I could trailer it later.

Usually on a long trip I have a plug kit, compressor and a fuel canister. I had a lithium battery jumper I kept under the seat but the heat from the engine ruined it. It swelled up from the heat.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I thought about carrying a tire inflator but they are big. so I decided to have a thin compact tire pump. its enough to do 35psi, but will take a workout to fill.

I always seem to do things after I read about other peoples troubles
when a friends car was stolen I installed an alarm, now with your battery failing, ill order a battery jump pack. I have a stop and go plug kit. has saved me 3 different times. great product. 1 is in the rear tire of my dead b400 for 2 years now. and one in my hd200 for 2 years also.

good you got it worked out. thank goodness you had great luck that all the hardships conspired at the same time against you.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
I think that might be more appropriate for a car than a bike. I mean, looks a little on the large size (unless I decided to find another Victory bagger).
A little smaller and lighter than a battery op drill. A bright LED Display with programmable pressure and a LED light in front that could double as a flashlight.

Actual weight and convenience is better than my present 12volt “cigar box” unit.

Comes with a draw string bag and the typical ball inflator attachments.

At $16 it could pay for itself …. have you seen the Air Machines that only take Debit/Charge Cards and give you enough time check three tires. Irritating Inflating Inflation.

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
At $16 it could pay for itself …. have you seen the Air Machines that only take Debit/Charge Cards and give you enough time check three tires. Irritating Inflating Inflation.
Nope. I haven't been near a gas station pump in years.

My car has a dash readout for individual tire pressures, and I set them precisely with each switch from winter to all-season tires. And they hold air extremely well. I only adjust them for really hot or really cold spells. BTW, in the realm of being borderline OCD, perhaps you've seen my adjust-for-impending-temperature tire pressure calculator page:

On the bike, I had the FOBO sensors front and back on the Big Burger, and now on the back, on the Beemer.

Bottom line is that I know what the car and bike tires are doing pretty much as I set out, and I have a 120V compressor with hose on the garage wall, if any of them needs pumping up:

Textile Luggage and bags Gas Bag Engineering

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a lithium battery jumper I kept under the seat but the heat from the engine ruined it. It swelled up from the heat.
Yes, those things are really a failed fad IMO, Lithium batteries don't like heat (like in the trunk or even inside a car in summer), are not very stable when fully charged (fire :eek: ), in the wrong hands can't save people from themselves, not saying the "Sky is Falling", but 15 years around lithium in my RC hobby has showed how dangerous they can be, all my lipos reside in a ammo case and never left in a car. The investment in a good quality lithium jumper with all the proper safety features is $$$, plus the upkeep :rolleyes:, most people throw it in the trunk, based on the sales pitch, etc. IAC a roadside assistance plan added to auto insurance policy is very cheap in comparison and cover other issues. (In the US)

I have roadside assistance with State Farm, I called them, but I had forgotten to add the coverage to both my scooters when I got policy :(, FYI, they did say it would cover flatbed towing, etc. and if I added the coverage (I did) to my scooters, it would be available in 24hrs. o_O remember "Perfect Storm".

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No point on starting a different thread IMO, IAC my battery flatlined on Wednesday, to the point the instruments shut down :(, so after trying to call/get help for 20 minutes, turned switch on, instruments initialized, and FP primed, turned switch off, at that point I figured a "jump start" would probably get me home (13 miles), as scooter would be running of generator, etc, providing I had a mostly stop free route and I was followed just in case, can't really pull in the clutch and rev engine to maintain charging voltage like a regular motorcycle (BTDT). Help arrived and setup for a quick Jump Start (Truck off), scooter started quickly and idled, jumped on and T/O, but the 1st 2 miles of road were very rough, hard to drive fast, IAC notice some irregular needle movements, RPM and speedometer indication didn't quite match normal indications, lights would come/off on ABS, FI, power would surge if you used turn signals, when I got on smoother road, the scooter speed was limited to 50 mph, like my fuel pump was not getting enough power :unsure:, I was lucky enough, traffic was light and basically continued on thru several intersections/turns, luck ran out close to home as I had to reduce speed because of red light, silence ensued as I rolled to a stop on side road with dash completely off, WTH. We hooked up battery to truck (off) and let it kind of charge the scooter for a minute, started and continued home quickly, as soon as I turned into my driveway, silence, rolled into garage (y), took care of my rescuer and said any issues with your battery, LMK, I'll cover it.

Took a 1/2 hour break and tried to process all the issues with scooter, removed "The Walmart Pirate Battery" installed by P/O, the area was slightly wet with acid, the bolt behind battery, holding the fairing inner storage was heavily corroded had the green fuss on it :eek:, applied generous amounts of hydrogen peroxide and dusted area heavily with baking soda, let sit for 10min. rinsed compartment heavily with water hose for a few minutes, sprayed water thru front opening/radiator , etc. Blew out and let sit in sun for a while. BTW, needless to say not a fan of "Pirate" battery brand, no experience, but this is supposed to be a sealed AGM, just 1 year old :whistle:

About 3 hours later decided to check/test charging system with my SW600 battery, maybe something else was bad besides battery :unsure:, with battery in, tested for current leakage/ good, 1.2 ma (limit 3), Battery connected, resting voltage 12.8V, switch on 12.3V, engine running at idle or 5k 11.9V o_O:unsure:. Had to remove front fairing, etc., etc. and airbox to access and check charging components/connectors with multimeter, etc., but didn't find or measured anything obviously bad, the connector behind airbox was very dirty with road grime, etc. Cleaned all connections and put a piece of large shrink tubing over one behind airbox, to keep clean. Stopped around 8pm, put SW battery on trickle charger and ordered a new battery for Burgman at Batteries plus, Xtreme AGM/1yr warranty/ $73 OTD and I could pick in the morning, same brand as SW, now 3yrs old. (y)

Thursday, got home around 10am from Doc's appt with new battery on hand. went ahead and check/cleaned any areas that battery acid could get to with more daylight, everything looked good went ahead and rinsed/wiped everything down JIC. Decided to use SW600 battery JIC, not to damage new one. so resting voltage 12.9V, switch on 12.4V, started and let warm up for 3 minutes, meter reading 14.40V during warmup, warm idle with "high beam on" 14.35V, at 5k rpm high beam on 14.39V, I call it good but based IME, but noticed the 07-09 manual showed 14-15.5V, kind of a broad range :unsure:, maybe compensating for temperature, I did notice a slight drop in volts as rectifier got warmer but still in limits. Went ahead put back together with new battery, etc. and road tested for 1hr "Closer to home", works/rides perfectly normal, battery was 13.2V with key off. (y):cool: Have to admit, not much experience with these types of systems, most bikes I owned in the last 30yrs or so had an all-inclusive generator/alternator that hardly if ever failed.

Obviously, the battery is shot, but did it fail on its own or bad connections, etc., charging system, too hot outside?
IOW the addition of issues caused the failure or was it just part of my "Perfect Storm" :unsure:

I know "Save The Drama for your Mama !" :rolleyes: but this is real, not make believe BS.

Some pics ...

Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural environment
Fuel tank Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
Red Gadget Font Magenta Cable

·
Registered
912 Posts
If I were you, I’d be glad your voltage is in the low 14v range. 15.5 volts is too high in my opinion, and would only lead to short battery, and light bulb life. I’m surprised Suzuki would consider such a high voltage as passing.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Very thorough write up. Have you determined if it was just time for that battery to fail or if there was a cause?
All of my Flat Six bikes have had alternators and those OEM Yuasa batteries would get 8 to 9 years out of service. Nice scooter ICU room. Glad you made it home that heat had been miserable.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
When we bought used 2016 Kia, in 2016, first thing I did was buy full sized spare wheel and tire as spare. (It didn't even have a dinky donut!)
I carry its 12v compressor + can of fix a flat, in my Burger + spare starter + tool bag.
Worst case, i think one could limp to a hotel or elsewhere on a flat FRONT tire.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I were you, I’d be glad your voltage is in the low 14v range. 15.5 volts is too high in my opinion, and would only lead to short battery, and light bulb life. I’m surprised Suzuki would consider such a high voltage as passing.
Yes, I agree 100%, the high charging voltage was an issue on old ZX11, ZRX1100/200 normally around 15V, it really impacted bulb and battery life, they would literally melt aftermarket turn signals, if installed without resistors, common trick was to install a 100/80-watt headlight bulb to absorb some energy, but those older bikes had glass headlight assy, could take the heat.

Very thorough write up. Have you determined if it was just time for that battery to fail or if there was a cause?
All of my Flat Six bikes have had alternators and those OEM Yuasa batteries would get 8 to 9 years out of service. Nice scooter ICU room. Glad you made it home that heat had been miserable.
Is really inconclusive so far, but maybe the battery itself was a POS, but the poor charging with the SW600 battery, that was fixed by cleaning connectors is also suspect :unsure:. I'll probably order a regulator/rectifier JIC.

Yes, I also loved the alternators on my Kawasaki's, Bulletproof, never had one fail, combined with the OEM Yuasa, I got nearly 10yrs myself on my old ZRX1100. The thing is OEM/JDM Yuasa batteries are way better than US made ones, EPA :unsure: ?

·
Administrator
23,639 Posts
One of my first mods to a Honda GL1100 or GL1200 is to remover the pi$$ poor stator and hang a GM 1 wire Altanator off the front crank. Then replace the funky carbon fuse with a 40 AMP ATC fuse

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts