Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a local shop take off the stock exhaust at the standard junction clamp.
Then replace all that with a custom bent pipe with a bung welded in for the O2 sensor.

OMG is it loud!!! And not in a good way.
I had people staring at me big time all the way to work from the shop and all the way home from work later today.

Has anyone had a local shop make them a custom exhaust with 1.75" tubing and a "bullet style" muffler of any kind?

I'm going to buy a 7-8 inch resonator exhaust tip and put it on the end and see if it will take the noise down to a "drive through the neighborhood on Sunday morning" acceptable level. If that doesn't take it down enough I'm going to take it back and have the put in some kind of compact muffler designed to go on 1.75 inch exhaust tubing.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Might I ask why you took the stock exhaust off, curious minds want to know. I don't have a 400, but on my 650 the quiet exhaust is one of the things I love about the bike.

Just curious, not trying to offend.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Might I ask why you took the stock exhaust off, curious minds want to know. I don't have a 400, but on my 650 the quiet exhaust is one of the things I love about the bike.

Just curious, not trying to offend.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
+1 what is the point of loud exhaust on a scooter? If you want increased performance, there are better ways of going about it. If you're looking for a loud bike that people will tolerate, get a Harley. They seem to get a pass.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sign me up for the "quieter is better" group. I get so tired of anything with a loud exhaust. Wont ride with anyone that has one unless he is a long ways behind me!

A nice quiet ride is impossible to do unless you got a nice quiet bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The straight pipe will also likely cause you to lose horsepower even while making more noise. Most of the expensive aftermarket pipes do not result in hp gains on this machine either, but do reduce weight slightly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I had a local shop take off the stock exhaust at the standard junction clamp.
Then replace all that with a custom bent pipe with a bung welded in for the O2 sensor.

OMG is it loud!!! And not in a good way.
I had people staring at me big time all the way to work from the shop and all the way home from work later today.

Has anyone had a local shop make them a custom exhaust with 1.75" tubing and a "bullet style" muffler of any kind?

I'm going to buy a 7-8 inch resonator exhaust tip and put it on the end and see if it will take the noise down to a "drive through the neighborhood on Sunday morning" acceptable level. If that doesn't take it down enough I'm going to take it back and have the put in some kind of compact muffler designed to go on 1.75 inch exhaust tubing.

Seamorob,
I like a little tone as much as anyone, but why would you just run straight pipes? As others have pointed out, it decreases performance and as you pointed out yourself, "people staring at me big time all the way to work from the shop and all the way home from work later today" because of the noise.

If you want some sound, might I suggest an aftermarket exhaust? You have several good choices such as Leo Vince, GPR and Yoshimura brands, just to name a few. Most of those will provide you with some notable sound, without being obnoxious.

Regards,

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not a lot of old school modifications are worthwhile on the newer motorcycles/scooters. With the EFI and exhaust and tuned air boxes, making something in someone's shop only buys trouble in the long run. You loose performance, it causes your engine to run rich to lean depending on what you do. A straight pipe has little if any back pressure and the O2 sensor may as well be hanging on a nail in the shop as it will be of little value on a straight pipe.

The Leo Vince systems are your best bet. They have a modest growl and sound respectable in a crowded neighborhood. If you get any aftermarket exhaust, I would suggest you install a K&N intake air filter and add a Power a Commander to retune your fuel delivery system.

It is probably not what you want to hear, but in 2003, the Burgman (400 for example) got a serious boost of technology and went from carbureted to injected.... Adding a sophisticated ECU and sensors for monitoring your engine. Before you circumvent this, you should really go to someone that tunes scooters with electronics and has the equipment that matches. Just adding a straight pipe might sound neat, but it will probably shorten your engine life. Stock is best, but performance needs to be "TUNED IN" with the right equipment.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Now days with modern bikes with fuel injection having a performance pipe requires a lot more fiddling to get them right .In the old days (it does not seem that long ago ) with carb equipped bikes whacking on an after market exhaust was more for necessity as the standard system would not last long and was very expensive .Also no real modification was needed to run the pipe most of the time you lost power but since it sounded great you tended to ride quicker so the power loss was not noticed. To get the most out of an old system required pod air filters and changing the jets which an home mechanic could do ....NOW THOUGH you need computers, electronic knowledge, dyno tuning most bike riders don't know how to do this so it starts to cost a lot

I have just helped my friend install a Yoshi system to his burgman 650 he has lost a some bottom end power but would have gained top were the burgman does not spend that much time to fix this a k&n air filter and some fiddling with ecu on a dyno will help

The exhaust sounds good and looks good BUT would I do it .......only if I had two 650 burgmans one standard and one insanely modified (don't worry I am thinking about getting another one and modifying the s..t out of it ...eg pipe ,turbo. Big bore kit
the mind boggles GOT TO HAVE A LIE DOWN SEE YA

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
To get the most out of an old system required pod air filters and changing the jets which an home mechanic could do ....NOW THOUGH you need computers, electronic knowledge, dyno tuning most bike riders don't know how to do this so it starts to cost a lot
To be fair, most riders couldn't handle cleaning/replacing the air filters and changing the jets on the old air-breathers either. I've learned to do a lot of my own work on the old Concours, but if I needed jet work done, I'd take it to SiSF's Shoodaben Engineering and pay Steve to make sure it was done right the first time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree with you ChipDoc,The hardest part about doing the jet on old carb bikes is getting the carbs back in with the original air box .Thus why the pod air filters ended up on a lot of bike so getting the carbs out is a breeze with pod air filters ,,,,BUT like everything else they came with there own problems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts