Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys,

This is a story I'll be telling all by biking my friends. I was on a nice Sunday ride through downtown Vancouver and after spinning through Stanely Park and taking in the sights I was heading home to do my weekend household chores. As I was passing around BC Place (our football stadium) I gunned it to about 70 kms/hr and was slightly above our posted speed limit. Something in my gut said I should slow down....a radar trap maybe up ahead and it made sense that this area would be an ideal place to catch speeders.

As I was approaching the next stop light, I could see an officer of the law on his Harley in my rear view mirror. He was rding at a leisure pace and once I had come to a complete stop he made his way between the cars and stopped on my right side. I was nervous. He said, " Hey, I think you were riding above the posted speed limit...pull over up ahead and we'll talk about it". I was resigned to being written up. As we came to a stop am anxiety level rose.

The first question was, " Is that a scooter?" then "What size is it?" and then I proceeded to explain its features. I told the pleasant officer how I went on a camping trip... placing my tent and sleeping bag underneath the seat. How comfortable it is and how easy it is to ride. He was nodding in approval when I told him the 400 got 72 mpg. He seemed to know bikes and he wondered if it had enough gumb for the highway. He rode a VFR 750 and was puzzled why anyone would want to ride an automatic because it was so much fun changing gears. We then talked about my other experiences and he talked about his.

I was convinced at this point, I was not caught speeding! We said our chaios and made our separate ways with one more person one the planet informed about the Burgman 400.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Timothy, I had a similar experience some years ago when two of us on motorcycles got caught in the rain up in the Blue Ridge mountians and was hoofing it out as fast as we safely (in our opinion) could. Nice friendly cop asked a bunch of questions about bikes, seemed sympathtic to our wanting to get out of rain showers, and then politely pulled out his ticket book and wrote us up.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My experience was like Ted's. Riding back to Connecticut from a trip to Florida on a Kawaski 750. Bright sunny Sunday morning, no other traffic in sight - somewhere in the Carolinas. I was moving along at about 15 mph over the speed limit. State Trooper stopped me. He was just TOO cheerful! I think he'd been sitting out there for hours, waiting for a victim. Wrote me a ticket and wished me a safe trip home. :?

I was also stopped three times on my Kawasaki Concours during the 6 years I rode it. One ticket, two warnings. Something about a big red bike with a sporty riding position seeemed to draw their attention. The younger cops always did a double take when I pulled off my full face helmet. They were expecting to see a much younger face I think...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
My experience was like Ted's. Riding back to Connecticut from a trip to Florida on a Kawaski 750. Bright sunny Sunday morning, no other traffic in sight - somewhere in the Carolinas. I was moving along at about 15 mph over the speed limit. State Trooper stopped me. He was just TOO cheerful! I think he'd been sitting out there for hours, waiting for a victim. Wrote me a ticket and wished me a safe trip home. :?

I was also stopped three times on my Kawasaki Concours during the 6 years I rode it. One ticket, two warnings. Something about a big red bike with a sporty riding position seeemed to draw their attention. The younger cops always did a double take when I pulled off my full face helmet. They were expecting to see a much younger face I think...
Naw - they just heard the legend that you were a slow rider :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts