Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a burgman 650 2003 and my problem is that it won´t go past 80 km/h. I get error 54, witch suggest that there is something wrong with the secondary pulley sensor. Others have told me that that sensor rarely fails, since it is just a magnet. Now I begin to think that it could be the stopper bolt. I replaced it last year, but my problem remains. Can it be the stopper bolt is in the wrong position? If it is, how do I get it right?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
The stopper bolt will not cause a code. For that matter many of us think that it is not the cause of problems but an indicator that other problems are occurring in the CVT. In any case it doesn't get in a wrong position unless you take it out then crank the engine while it is out.

The reason you can't go faster than 80 km/h is that when the controller sets the C54 code it goes into fail safe mode. The fail safe mode for the C54 code inhibits shifting of the CVT above the equivalent of 2nd range in manual mode. The code is telling you that the controller is not seeing a valid signal from the secondary pulley sensor.

One reason might be a bad sensor. You can test for this with a multi meter checking the resistance through the sensor with the key off. It should read between 400 and 600 ohms measured at the coupler of the wire leading to the sensor. If that is good then you can start the engine and check the peak voltage coming from the sensor at the coupler and the engine at idle. You will need a peak voltage adapter on the multimeter to do this. It should be more than 5 volts. If you fail either test then you may need to remove and clean the sensor or you may need a new sensor. Bad news is that you have to separate the CVT from the engine to remove the sensor.

If the sensor test good then the problem is either a bad connection on the coupler to the sensor, a bad connection at the CVT controller coupler or a bad CVT controller.

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
And just to expand on Buffalo's comments above "If the sensor test good then the problem is either a bad connection on the coupler to the sensor, a bad connection at the CVT controller coupler or a bad CVT controller. "
The 2002-2004 AN650 has two ECM's. One is the engine ECM and the second one is thr CVT Controller. See picture below. The 2005 and up they combined the two into 1 unit.
ECM's.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts