Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned my 2012 650 since last April. I bought it with just under 3K miles on it and the dealer told me that they did an full oil change prior to selling it to me. Who knows.
Anyway, I always check the cold oil level in the sight glass before going on a ride. I know that isn't the way its supposed to be done, but I figure if the oil has filled the glass, it's likely OK. ;)
So now that I have put about 3500 miles on it, without ever putting in a drop of oil, I can finally see the top edge of the oil in the glass just a bit above the F line.
I have looked, unsuccessfully, to find what this cold oil level actually translates to as to how much would I need to be add to properly fill the engine up to its normal level.
Surely there must be some correlation between a cold level check as compared to a truly full crankcase.
Your comments, as always are welcomed.:D

·
Registered
735 Posts
My 650K4 was slightly over-full until I rode 1000+ miles to CA 2 weeks ago. After that, I found 4-5 tablespoons of engine oil had migrated into the reduction gear case ("transmission") which resulted in the level in the sight glass being exactly at the "F" line. Someone on the forum mentioned that his dealer had warned him never to over-fill the crankcase. So when I get home tomorrow after this 2500-miler, I'll change the oil and make sure to hit the "F" mark exactly.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Anyway, I always check the cold oil level in the sight glass before going on a ride. I know that isn't the way its supposed to be done, but I figure if the oil has filled the glass, it's likely OK.
I must admit I don't understand this exercise.
Suzuki has provided a brilliant oil level alert system.

If it's down a bit the oil level indicator will come briefly then go off as the bike warms up.

When it stays on it's down about a pint so worth topping off. It's good tech why not use it.

Over filling is apparently not good for the machine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would never wait a year before changing my oil. Regardless of the mileage, you should change it at least every six months, especially with the Georgia heat.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
If you want to find out what the difference is for your bike, check the oil level before start it then check the oil level by the book method. That will give you the answer to your question.

I've done that with my bike and found that there is not enough difference to worry much about. The oil level after it has sit over night is just a little bit higher than it is after I do the start, warm up turn off and let sit 3 minutes routine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
oil guage

the dealer probably put a little too much in there. you should see a little gap on the top of the glass when its full. 3-1/2 quarts are what it takes when you change the filter.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
When change oil it should be as follow:

Oil change keeping use oil filter in place, put in 2 &3/4 quart or 2.6 litre oil.

Oil change with new filter, put in 3 quart or 2.9 litre oil.

Ride bike and adjust after if need to, but should be good.

Hope this help you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.....I have FINALLY, after owning my bike for a year, checked the oil level as it says it should be checked in the owner's manual. Run the engine for 3 minutes, shut it off and wait 3 minutes, and look at the sight glass.
I did that and the level was just a hair below the "F" line. Perfect! I have never added a drop of oil to it since I bought it about 4000 miles ago.
Now here's the interesting part.......up until I did this oil level check, I had always simply looked at the sight glass in the morning before starting the bike up. In other words, it had sat all night.
And guess what, the oil level is EXACTLY the same as doing it Suzuki's way.
So I'm going back to my old way of just checking it stone cold in the morning and calling it good.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts