Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions of the Corbin seats versus the stock on a 650? Is the Corbin any softer, or just a different design? After 1402 miles on my first trip with my 650 (shipping company delayed so long I flew to Orland, FL (started trip from the Villages, FL 60 miles N) and drove it home to Wichita, KS). The seller had installed a seat back from a Goldwing 1800 that really helped, but the seat did get sore after a while, but overall was still pretty nice. Of course I had chaps and a rain suit on to protect from the wind that may have added to things. I've heard of several going to a Corbin seat, but not sure if that was for length or a softer seat - or both. Any replies appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Jeff,

The Corbin seat is not softer. Most consider it to be more firm but provides a more comfortable platform for long rides. There's a lot of good information here on the forums about the Corbin seats. Use the search link at the top of the page and don't forget to read Bryan's (Greengoose) review at :

http://www.burgmanusa.com/corbin_review.htm

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gel pad

Can you give a little more info on the gel pad? Is this something that you just place on the seat? Where can you get the?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Jeff - I went for the corbin for added legroom and back support, however, now I have to look at buying some risers to get the bars back to me. Research this forum carefully and you will find all sorts of very viable alternatives. I ain't made o money and well, I had to breath deep when I hit the purchace button for the saddle and backrest.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Softer doesn't necessarily mean more comfortable. I've built a couple of wooden sea kayaks, and the most comfortable seats are the ones that fit your shape best. Some kayak seats are made of hard plastic of fiberglass, but are more comfortable than a badly-shaped soft cushion seat. Granted, that's on a kayak that doesn't receive jarring jolts. There aren't any potholes in the ocean.

I find european car seats to be more comfortable, even though they're generally firmer. American car companies often use soft materials to win customers over when they test out the cars at the dealership. They slide in the car and go, "ooooh, comfortable..." But on a long road trip they're not comfortable becase although soft, they're not supportive. Better-contoured but firmer euorpean seats are more comfortable on long drives than are squishy seats.

I like the Corbin seat on my Hawk, but don't know about the Burgman Corbin seats.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
From what I hear, Corbin seats are not soft, and do require some breaking in, simular to a horse saddle (I may be wrong), but in time are comfortable.

Gell pads, typically, is about 1/2" thick, and inset in a pad that can be set in top of the seat, or you can embed them in you seat. Available on line, or through your dealer.

They are not softer than the seat, but what they do very well is, absorb shock, from bumps in the road, and vibration from long duration riding. I imbeded them in my seat, while adding softer foam to the front 1/2 of the seat, and it has helped a lot for me. I did take some trial and error.

If you need softer, there are alternitaves to a gel pad.

Airhawk, is 1 option. An inflatable pad about 1-1 1/2" thick.

Installing softer foam under the seat

Sheepskin, seat covers, just to name a few.

Or you can combine them to fit your needs.

1 last thing, it may be the butt stop. For me it is at the wrong angle, and always felt like I was being pushed foward, most anoying. That can be corrected as well.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Jeff, before you spend big bucks on gel, airhawks and such, go down to Walmarts sporting goods/hunting section and pick up an inflatable seat cushion used by hunters for $10. They are camo and not pretty but work really well. Three of us have been using them since last spring. In the summer I put a sheepskin over mine for cooler riding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seat back on custom seat

I noticed that if I took the butt rest off (and the back rest the previous owner had used from a Goldwing 1800) that I could sit farther back and thus appears to feal more comfortable. I've seen that someone had their seat custom re-upholstered and installed the utopia backrest. That appears as it woudl be the most comfortable, but I'm still waitign for an answer as to how he installed the backrest and if it si removable. It looks like that will be the best option eventually if it is removable. It willneed to be removable so my wife can get on the fromt seat and then push to the back seat. Hope he replies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts