Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as I discovered today when pulling rear wheel assy for Tire shop work.

Seems to weigh 30# or tad more + large mount bracket.

Even if new aftermarket pipe / muffler didn't produce more engine HP, weight drop alone should help in acceleration & braking.

I did see quite the selection of down pipes + mufflers available.

I've modded the exhaust on both my Mercedes-Benz.

Not to be noisy but for a throaty purposeful pleasant tone.

Get compliments all the time.

Given this, I'll be doing my homework on exhaust upgrades.

Curious to know who may have done this already ?

Cheers - David

·
Premium Member
15,166 Posts
Curious to know who may have done this already ?
I did this, in 2009 on an '07 Exec:

As I've posted a few times here:
  • I did it sort of on a whim, as I was somewhat enthralled that a race-exhaust provider (Yoshimura) would make something for a scooter.
  • I had mild hopes that it would increase power (which it didn't -- per informal drag-races with another Exec -- but might have, with a Power Commander or similar added, which I've never read about any Burger owner doing).
  • It shaved off c. 10 lbs. (and looked nicer, too).
  • Even with the optionally-installed "baffle" it was still too loud, and I would leave the house in low-throttle mode, lest I annoy the neighbors.
  • I would not do it again (and certainly didn't, when I acquired a second Exec years later).
OTOH, this was, as I say, on a 650. I can't help you out regarding a 400, but I imagine much of the same points would apply.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Even if new aftermarket pipe / muffler didn't produce more engine HP, weight drop alone should help in acceleration & braking.
It's difficult to imagine the elimination of 20 lbs. making a perceptible difference in either. Probably not the best use of your motoring money.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
but,, the sound!!
Yes the sound !

I want to to hear my engines growl, modestly.

We have lots of deer on these E TX Rural highways.

Last night I'm alone testing the Scoot and watching for them.

(Did great w/ the new tires)

A little thumper sound COULD give them a "avoid this guy" warning.

Similarly my 2002 Mercedes SUV an ML500 runs a 5 litre V-8.

Yet was so quiet neither driver or observer could tell.

No wonder MB had a 50# beast of a "sound killer" on it.

So I went to work remedying that !

Now it sounds like a covert Mustang or Dodge Challenger Hemi RT - but only obvious when pushed.

At idle a pleasant growl announces: V-8 on hand !

But I hate Hiway drone & there's a fine line between "Good Vibrations" and driving yourself crazy - and bugging others needlessly.

Thanks for the input.

I'm planning a Florida road trip & will work on this after, LORD willin & the bike cooperating !

If you're bored, here's the MB exhaust upgrade:

·
Premium Member
15,166 Posts
Yes the sound !

I want to to hear my engines growl, modestly.

We have lots of deer on these E TX Rural highways.

Last night I'm alone testing the Scoot and watching for them.

(Did great w/ the new tires)

A little thumper sound COULD give them a "avoid this guy" warning.

Similarly my 2002 Mercedes SUV an ML500 runs a 5 litre V-8.

Yet was so quiet neither driver or observer could tell.

No wonder MB had a 50# beast of a "sound killer" on it.

So I went to work remedying that !

Now it sounds like a covert Mustang or Dodge Challenger Hemi RT - but only obvious when pushed.

At idle a pleasant growl announces: V-8 on hand !

But I hate Hiway drone & there's a fine line between "Good Vibrations" and driving yourself crazy - and bugging others needlessly.

Thanks for the input.

I'm planning a Florida road trip & will work on this after, LORD willin & the bike cooperating !

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
After a few miles the two gaskets in the exhaust will start leaking and you will obtain a more throaty sounding exhaust.

Also going on a diet and losing 15-20 lbs will have the same effect as a lighter exhaust.

·
Premium Member
18,858 Posts
It's difficult to imagine the elimination of 20 lbs. making a perceptible difference in either. Probably not the best use of your motoring money.
20 lbs don't make no difference on my 650, it's the same before an after i take a s,, poo,, but there's some difference in the noises

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good grief, the engine miss in the first scooter's exhaust is pretty bad and does nothing to encourage me to change from stock. It is also pretty sneaky how he oozed up the RPM scale and didn't load the motor at all with a quick blip to full throttle and back.

You would think adding 100 pounds (gross loaded weight) of trailer and camping gear to my 400 would be noticeable but after 50 miles or so the performance seems to not suffer at all. The RPM rises to around 5500 to 6500 RPM and stays there. Objectively it does, but perception is everything and thus the search for more noise from the exhaust.

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400
71 Posts
I love my quiet Burgman 650 with stock exhaust. I can speed 30-40% through small towns and nobody notices.
Can't you just listen to obnoxious engine noises via your phone and ear plug headphones?
I'm with you on this. The one thing I like about my scoot is how quiet it is. Working in a factory over the past quarter century has taught me to enjoy the silence. The other thing that I would have concerns about is that it just wouldn't run properly with an 'upgrade'. More trouble than it's worth, better to run what you brung.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah guys, but you see I like to hear my machinery whirring.
I run a lathe and the noise of all the cutters working harmoniously is a positive feedback loop.
My exhaust on my 2000 e320 wagon
(Benz 3.2 V-6, M112) sounds SO good I get requests to rev it or do a high speed pass.

When run to its rev limiter it sounds like an old 1970s Jaguar V-12.

My buddy's Dad used to tune those crazy old Gran Turismos back in our youth...great memories.

Glad you like you stealth exhaust to "speed thru the city".

Here the cops pop you when you speed in the city, quiet or loud.

But on these wide open Texas Highways, we can echo & thump all we want, they ignore you there lol.

Cheers - David

PS I'm talking doing an Exhaust with the DB killer left in. Not obnoxious, just a bit of throaty 🎵

"A great exhaust note is like a killer guitar riff or a hymn perfectly sung..... It satisfies the Soul"

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400
71 Posts
Nah guys, but you see I like to hear my machinery whirring.
I run a lathe and the noise of all the cutters working harmoniously is a positive feedback loop.
My exhaust on my 2000 e320 wagon
(Benz 3.2 V-6, M112) sounds SO good I get requests to rev it or do a high speed pass.

When run to its rev limiter it sounds like an old 1970s Jaguar V-12.

My buddy's Dad used to tune those crazy old Gran Turismos back in our youth...great memories.

Glad you like you stealth exhaust to "speed thru the city".

Here the cops pop you when you speed in the city, quiet or loud.

But on these wide open Texas Highways, we can echo & thump all we want, they ignore you there lol.

Cheers - David

PS I'm talking doing an Exhaust with the DB killer left in. Not obnoxious, just a bit of throaty 🎵

"A great exhaust note is like a killer guitar riff or a hymn perfectly sung..... It satisfies the Soul"
Without customization of our rigs, we'd be nothing! 😁

You're right about the weight, though. The combo of the exhaust and the mounting bracket seems a bit overkill for a single cylinder scooter. The bike itself is over 400#s dry, quite heavy considering what it's designed for and the amount of power it has.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
745 Posts
You can get one these link pipes and mount any muffler/silencer of your liking with a 2 in. or 51mm inlet, plenty chinese ones on ebay, even fairly good quality clones of name brands, way cheaper than custom systems and probably just as ineffective or effective :unsure: , definitely louder, look at this page for other options, ideas, etc.
Amazon.com : suzuki burgman 400 exhaust

Bicycle part Natural material Composite material Auto part Metal

1 - 20 of 41 Posts