Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase one in a few days from the Florida dealer. http://stingertrailer.com/ The ability to fold it up and store it in my garage is critical. From all my research, it looks very well made and works beautifully. I think that it will suit my purposes very nicely. I know that it's expensive, but I don't want a flat bed trailer.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have used a stinger for the past 8 years towing up and down the east coast. I probably have 40,000 miles on mine. Folds easily and I once took it apart to transport it inside my car. The service and parts from Rod the original builder was great. Don't know who is building it now. Still using the original wheel bearings, new tires this year. Its the best!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I could not find what size the tires are but I can tell you that small tires like that wear quickly at highway speeds. Luckily they are not too expensive.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Per their website: 6 PLY tires are rated for 70 mph extended freeway use
"Rated for" and "last long" are two TOTALLY different things! Because the diameter is so small they rotate many more times than a regular car tire. Because of this they wear faster. Also they get hotter because of the extra revolutions and that also causes them to wear out faster. Bearings also get a lot more wear. I have an older Jayco popup with small tires{look just like those!} and they wear out fast and often fail at inopportune times. Trust me I know what the tire manufactures claim but I also know the truth, I have tried tires with the exact phrase. The only advantage this trailer would have over my popup is a lower weight{at least with a Burgman on it - a full dressed Harley might be the same as my Jayco!}.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
honsfun you say you probably have 40,000 miles on your Stinger motorcycle trailer using the original wheel bearings, do you have any idea how many tires you've been through?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My snowmobile trailer will be 20 years old this fall, 3 sets of bearings and on it's 2nd set of tires. Small wheels do the job just fine.
Also Have a 1999 Jayco 8' pop up, original tires and bearings.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had the second set of tires installed last year. I replaced with the same brand as the oem tires. I had a problem finding someone to do a dynamic balance but I did. Never had a tire or bearing problem. I grease the bearings before every use. Took the trailer to a trailer mechanic to check all 2 years ago, everything bearings were good. Started using Stinger in 2008. 75mph twice a year NY to Boca Raton and NY to VT a few times a year. I carry spare tire, spare wheel bearings, some locking pins. Great folding trailer.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Maybe it's the New Mexico roads and sun that kill my tires so fast??? But I have had two flats and a blow out with the Jayco over the years. The people who owned it before me had similar problems. Maybe it is too heavy for the tires? I never actually weighed it. It pulls fine and never had any problems other than the tires. It is an older Jayco from the 70s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts