Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've missed a day here and there - but STILL RIDING in Pittsburgh!

The coldest it has been when I left for work is 25˚F.

No heated gear - just my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket, jeans (or sometimes dress pants) and gloves (sometimes thin, sometimes thick winter type). Sometimes I wear a sweater under the jacket. I do wish my helmet had a built in defroster though.

I just received a pair of flannel-lined Diamond Gusset jeans (http://www.americangusset.com/http:-6722256118-jeans-mens-flannel-lined-hybrid-carpenter-jean/dp/2238), which are really nice for blocking the cold. Highly recommend. I just ordered a 2nd pair, as well as a second pair of their Defender jeans.

Saves me $8 in parking every day I ride (motorcycle parking is free), so I have a built-in incentive.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's all a matter of perspective, javajo. Any time it dips below 60 I break out the heated gear. But I use that gear to ride down into the 20s on my hour-and-a-half commute.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Was 23 this morning when I left the house.

As usual, my fully charged phone **** down due to cold and my bike didn't even get to the usual operating temp after 25 minutes of riding.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It's all a matter of perspective, javajo. Any time it dips below 60 I break out the heated gear. But I use that gear to ride down into the 20s on my hour-and-a-half commute.
Good grief ! You commute 90 minutes one way to work ?
By the way is your bike back on the road ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Was 23 this morning when I left the house.

As usual, my fully charged phone **** down due to cold and my bike didn't even get to the usual operating temp after 25 minutes of riding.
25° this morning in St. Louis, but we're looking at 13° tomorrow morning at ride time - guess I'll be looking at the 'Lo' again on the temp readout. I guarantee I have the heated gear on in the morning, but the 400 has always started right up.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
No thanks guys at the sign of cold I'm a :crybaby: . This Desert Rat has taken the car with heated seats this week. Lows have been 34 at work.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have warm gear, but not heated gear. Still... 45* is about my limit. :cool:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My Sedici 3-season jacket will get me to the mid 50's. Then I put in the windproof liner and that get's me to the high 40's. The quilted liner will be acceptable to the low 40's. At that point it's the air around my neck and the helmet that's a real problem. I have a Freeze out balaclava that is super thin but keeps me comfortable well into the 30's. Around 30 I just accept that I'm going to have a cold ride in and pack some hot chocolate and oatmeal for when I arrive. Windproof/waterproof/insulated gloves work well down to around 40 and the first half hour at 35.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
In the 20's I'd probably have to admit defeat and drive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd found that, without heated gear, 30° was my bottom limit due to my fingers getting too cold (I'm diabetic with poor circulation). Then I picked up a pair of heated gloves and have ridden down into single digits comfortably. This year Santa (of the daughter variety) brought an Ansai Mobile Warming heated vest - between that, my Icon Recon II jacket and my GMax 54s with some of the snow accessories I should be good through the teens and lower. Time will tell what the new bottom limit is.

·
Registered
493 Posts
bah, 40*F here in central Maryland. The heated jacket is useful.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the 20's I'd probably have to admit defeat and drive.
It was 28˚F on when I left for home - and my phone shut down again.

But honestly, even without heated gear, the only part of me that gets cold is my face, when I have the visor up. If I put it down, there is a good chance it will fog, so I have to put it back up again. Somehow, I gotta get that worked out.

As for my gear, nothing too special. All I have is:

Jacket: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kilimanjaro-jacket
Pants: http://www.americangusset.com/http:-6722256118-jeans-mens-flannel-lined-hybrid-carpenter-jean/dp/2238
Gloves: (just some basic leather fleece lined gloves)
Helmet: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-pro-helmet?gclid=CIzEprn27sICFepaMgod328Aug
Boots: (some cold Columbia winter boots)

I have a heated vest, but don't feel the need to wear it yet.

The helmet has some kind of anti-fog "pin lock" visor insert that I can install. I need to figure that out. My fear is that even if it keeps the visor from fogging, my glasses will still fog. So, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I've been riding down to 1 F. Battery powered heated gloves, gearz heated jacket liner, Kilimanjaro jacket and first gear pants. I ride unless it snowed or the road is icy. Usually a snow storm and followed by two days of 40 F will usually melt the roads off. 30 minute commute. No car unless ice, then car share or rental. I love it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've doing some late season riding in the 30's and I can keep plenty warm by layering up except for my hands. Now I'm using mittens with a little disposable chemical heat bag in each one. I alternate holding the pads in my palms and just above my thumbs, and manage to keep everything from getting frostbitten. It's certainly not a good long-term solution, but I figure I won't be riding much more (if at all) before spring in any case.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Go where??

I don't have any ownership in the Steelers, so I don't care if they win, lose, move to a more habitable town or go bankrupt. It's all the same to me :)

When I own an NFL team, or even a portion of one, then I will care if that team wins, loses or whatever.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good grief ! You commute 90 minutes one way to work ?
By the way is your bike back on the road ?

TheReaper!
The good grief part isn't that it takes 90 minutes; it's that it's only 28 miles. I start at 7pm and I'll be late if I leave home any later than 5:30. Stop and go creeping along surface streets all the way.

On the way home at 4:30am it takes just under an hour.

And no, the poor bike is now at Barney's. I gave it my best shot, but it just wasn't good enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts