Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after the fi code c51 shop change out the pps now there,s no code showing but it goe,s thur all the gear,s up to 5 and will not shiff in to 6 od unless you hit the dem button and the up switch stay,s in 6 th unless you start up a hill then it down shiff,s like it should i,am trying to keep my cool but i,am starting to worry if maybe this burgman is possessed i love this scooter but i just dont trust it any more to get me back home

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Are you manually shifting it or leaving it in Auto? In Auto it may not shift fully into 6th depending on speed/load.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
On my 09 and my 11 B650 no matter what speed I was doing in auto it would/will always shift to 5th gear when I went to manual, I would then have to shift it up into OD/6th gear. Is that the way yours is doing?

Bill

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It's pretty rare for you to switch from Auto to Manual and catch it in OD. Sounds to me like it's working exactly how it should if thats the only issue.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't know, what I stated in my last reply is the way it works on both of the two 650s. They were both bought new. Seems like that is normal operation to me.

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Agree with the last two post. If you are in auto mode and switch to manual mode it is very rare for it to go directly into indicated 6th gear. 99.9% of the time it will go to 5th.

If your bike is up shifting smoothly in auto mode and the engine is not over revving then I would say it is working correctly. If it will shift up through the gears in manual mode that would confirm it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the problem is when i,am in auto the rpm run up to about 5000 then it slowly change to the next gear if i let up on the trottle at 3500 rpm it change,s quickly in to the next gear all the way up to 5th gear then to get it into 6th i have to hit the dem button and the up shiff button it change,s right away then i can hit the dem button again and it will stay in 6th unless i hit a hill then it down shift,sto 5th unless the pull is light and if i use the manuel mode it shift every time up and down like it should thur all 6 gear,s like i said i,am thinking a bad pps that they got from suzuki parts

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I have a question. You keep saying you are hitting the dem button. What is that. The only thing I can think of that would be a dem button would be the button that dims the headlights. That would have nothing to do with the shifting of the transmission.

·
Administrator
18,385 Posts
One thing I don't understand, Talk about feeling it shifting while in auto mode. On all three of the Burgman 650's I have had when its in D they all felt like it was one long gear with not one pulse of a change. From 0 MPH to over 100 MPH, ONE gear, thats it. Same in POWER mode. My Burgman revs to like 4000 RPM and stays there intill about 40 MPH when the RPM's start climbing.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Buffalo said:
I have a question. You keep saying you are hitting the dem button. What is that. The only thing I can think of that would be a dem button would be the button that dims the headlights. That would have nothing to do with the shifting of the transmission.
I'm pretty sure he means the D<>M button or Drive to Manual button. Maybe I'm not getting the problem but it sounds normal to me. I would need a better description of the problem and how it's different that it was when you first got the bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the button i,am talking about is the drive < > manuel when is does start swifting the motor rev run up tp about 5000 and stay,s there all the time the scooter is building speed befor all this fi c51 happened it was alot differant it like it,s slipping in drive in manuel it fly,s thur the gear,s like it used too i dont think i have a problem with the belt but more like the cvt motor is geting low voltage but the wrencher said the cvt checked out with the bench test i guess i,ll take it to a differant dealer and have them check that new 209.00 dollar pps i keep going back to that because when all this code stuff started it would stick in 2nd gear after a few restart,s it would take off and do just fine in drive or manuel all the way home with no code showing

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I'm like others, I don't understand the problem. To me it sounds like the CVT is working the way it should. A CVT does not shift gears like a normal transmission does.

A simplified explanation of the way the ECVT operates in auto mode is that when you open the throttle the transmission goes to the ratio that will allow the engine to work at the most efficient RPM for that throttle setting. The CVT with then slowly change ratios to allow the bike to accelerate while the engine rpm remains constant. Without a change in throttle position that will continue until one of two things occurs.

One is that the bike will reach the maximum speed it is capable of with that throttle position. In that case the transmission will continue to slowly raise the ratio allowing the engine rpm to drop to maximize fuel economy while maintaining a constant speed. It will quit raising the ratio when speed starts to drop or it hits the maximum ratio it is capable of.

The other is that the CVT will hit the maximum ratio it is capable of before reaching the maximum speed possible with that throttle setting. In that case the the rpm of the engine and the speed of the bike will increase until an equilibrium is reached.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Like Buffalo said. Only in Manual mode will the controller select between 5-6 fixed ratios ('03-'04 or '05-up).

Wikipedia said:
A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is a transmission that can change steplessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values.
I'm not sure if it's working normally or not or if you've ever owned anything with a CVT in it before. My suggestion would be to either find another 650 or member with a 650 in you local area and see if they will let you ride it. That way you will be able to see how a known good bike operates. You could be chasing your tail.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Ron, I do apologise but your posts are really quite difficult to understand.

However, given a fair wind, it appears to me you are describing a normal eCVT response.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I took the liberty to edit the text for readability:

ron gerhart said:
The problem is when i am in auto the rpm run up to about 5000, then it slowly changes to the next gear

If i let up on the throttle at 3500 rpm it changes quickly into the next gear all the way up to 5th gear, then to get it into 6th, I have to hit the D<->M button and the up shiff button and it changes right away.
Then I can hit the D<->M button again and it will stay in 6th - unless i hit a hill, then it down shifts to 5th, unless the pull is light.
If i use the manuel mode it shifts every time up and down like it should thru all 6 gear,s

Like i said i,am thinking a bad pps that they got from suzuki parts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there are 3 of us that ride togather every week and there 650 work in drive thur all six gear,s you never feel it change smooth as silk mine is differant sence the pps was changed in drive you can take off and open and close the trottle and it will change the first 5 just like you where on a bike with manuel tranns like i said i,am takeing it to a differant shop next week it is not the same sence the fi and c51 showed up thank,s for your comments i,ll let you know what they find

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Try this, start off and just keep a steady hand on the throttle and when you get up to around 4K to 4.5K RPM shift into (without changing the throttle setting) manual and see what gear you are in. It should be 5th gear and you should be doing around 65 MPH, if not I would say something is wrong.

Bill

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
ron gerhart said:
Since the PPS was changed in Drive you can take off open/close the throttle and it will change the first 5 just like you where on a bike with a manual trans. Like I said I am taking it to a different shop next week, it is not the same since the F1 light and C51 code showed up. Thanks for your comments I'll let you know what they find.
That sounds very interesting like a combination of Auto and Manual modes almost like something internal is binding within the CVT or the CVT shift motor/gears. Thanks it would be nice to know if they find the source of the problem, good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts