Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most other bikers (driving motorcycles, not scooters) are pretty friendly. I've even had a few experiences where one spotted me and weaved between cars to catch up so he could pull next to me at a stoplight. "Is that the new Burgman 650"? - "Yeah"! - "Cool, How do you like it?" - "Love it" - "Hate mine, would rather be sittin' on your couch!".

Allright, cool. But what's the deal with Harley riders? Seems like they just won't acknowledge that you exist. They turn into statues at stoplights, and pretend like you're they're ex lover or something. So I decided they look much better in my rear-view mirrors when I leave 'em in the dust!

Any similar experiences?

- Chuck

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
They are not all like that Chuck. I find that more than half of them will wave when I see them on the highway. And I've had a few of them even ask about the scooter and talk for a while. But some of them are as you describe - caught up in the "bad boy" posing routine. Most of that group aren't even good riders, and quite a few of them drink & ride, so I don't crowd them - and as soon as I can I get some space between me and them.

When I see them on the highway I wave. If they wave back, fine. If they don't, it doesn't exactly ruin my day.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe they're different on the highway... I've been sticking to the streets until I get the M1 license.
Not that the cold shoulder treatment bothers me, just an observation from my 12-days on the Burgie so far.

- Chuck

pauljo said:
They are not all like that Chuck. I find that more than half of them will wave when I see them on the highway. And I've had a few of them even ask about the scooter and talk for a while. But some of them are as you describe - caught up in the "bad boy" posing routine. Most of that group aren't even good riders, and quite a few of them drink & ride, so I don't crowd them - and as soon as I can I get some space between me and them.

When I see them on the highway I wave. If they wave back, fine. If they don't, it doesn't exactly ruin my day.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Just this past week I attended a mid week gathering up in my area. I had heard about it and finally took the chance to ride up and see what its about. It was at a Rock n Roll diner and shakes were half price. Anyways I get there a little late and as I rode into the parking lot there were about 50 Harleys of all types and about 15 sportbikes, 2 BMW duals and me...Lone Burgman. Well you should have seen the looks I got as i slowly rolled in with my flames still glowing from an enthusiatic ride up. I parked my machine and only had 2 people approach. First lady was selling 50/50 tickets and the second guy was parked across from me riding a new 05 BMW 650 Dakkar (really nice machine) . Other than that while I was away from the machine I noticed maybe only 3 people wearing their Harley Attire have the courage to break ranks and wander over to have a look at the Burgman. Oh wait I did get one Harley Comment.....he loved the flames and wanted to know who did them....I responded with I did and he walked away with out saying anymore.
At least the shakes were half price and I enjoyed talking to the older BMW Dakkar rider. Oh well......the shakes weren't good enough for me to make a return visit.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I've noticed that Harley and Goldwing riders tend to wave at me less often than sport bike riders and even other big cruisers in general. But, as was said above, I wave and if it gets returned, fine; if not, that's okay too.

I suspect that the sportbike guys wave as I approach because from the front they can't tell that my 650 is a scooter. 8)

I've only had one rider come up next to me and say anything, and that was just a "thumbs up" and a smile as he passed me -- a BMW rider on a really nice, new looking R1100. I earned his accolades because we had just passed a row of cars, trucks, and 3 Harleys going upgrade towards the summit of Stevens Pass, and we made them look like they were standing still. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
This morning, as is my usual Sat. morning habit, I was returning from my breakfast with a bunch of my riding buddies and stopped at a parking area along the road to take a few puffs on my pipe. A pair of Honda riders went past and both gave a quick double-take and a wave as they went by.
A few minutes later they returned and pulled up in the parking area. They had noticed that my bike was "different" as they went by and had to get a closer look. Neither had ever seen a Burgman 650 before and were really impressed.
We shot the breeze for about a 1/2 hour and agreed to meet for breakfast this Wed. at a local restaurant. We may have two more "converts". :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I walked out of Dunkin Donuts the other day from getting my 50 gallon coffee thermos refilled before school. I looked over where I left my bike and there were 7 guys surrounding it. Thought for sure I was gonna get my butt kicked. Turns out they all had GoldWings, of which not one of them looked to be worth under $30,000. Seriously decked out bikes they had, four of them with trailers approaching the size that would require a CDL License to pull them! Anyway, only one of them had seen a Burgman, and he'd only seen it passing him on the freeway and couldn't figure out what it was. :)

So after a friendly chat, and watching their jaws drop when I opened the seat, they asked me to ride with 'em. Which I did for about 20 minutes until I had to turn toward the school, at which time I got the thumbs up and some horn blowing.

I seem to get a lot of attention from that bike. One guy on a Kawasaki almost rear ended the car in front of him, because he was doing a double take at my bike while passing him. I frequently get followed into gas-stations and other stops by Harleys. It's usually the Harley that I just smoked at the last stoplight. :lol: Everyone seems genuinely interested in the bike.

I did get a lot of crap from the people at my school before I actually bought the bike because I "was buying a scooter!!" But when I finally drove up with it, again, jaws were dropping at the enormous size of my "Scooter" and they all liked it. Since I park it right outside the Hangar door, along with all the other motorcycles, everyone wants to sit on my bike. ...and it's now affectionately called "The Couch!"

Yeah, a lot of Harleys don't wave, but again a lot of crotch rockets don't wave, and a lot of GoldWing type bikes don't wave. I don't wave at everyone either, sometimes my concentration is elsewhere, like at the car wanting to turn in front of me, so it's no big deal. My life goes on whether or not I get a wave. After all the odds of ever seeing them again is slim to none.

Seems the number one question I get, right after "What is that thing??" is, "Do you need a license to drive it??" I politely answer yes, while privately thinking, "It's 3 times the size of your bike!!! What do you think!?!?" Of course I always have to say in the course of the conversation, "Motorcycle World's Review says, "It's not a big scooter, it's a little GoldWing!" and everyone tends to agree.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Kias said:
I walked out of Dunkin Donuts the other day
Please. Don't torture me like that! I used to stop at my local Dunkin Donuts for a take home cup of coffee every day on my way home from work when I lived in Connecticut. It was my reward for making it through the work day. No other coffee tastes quite the same... And on the really hot days, I'd get an iced coffee....

Unfortunately, civilization at that level simply does not exist out here in the midlands.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ahhh yes... Dunkin Donuts. I pass no-less than four hundred and seventy six of them on my 50 mile ride to school everyday. I've also been to your neck of the woods, and have noticed there's not a whole lot of anything out there. :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Well I got news for you Dunkin Donut fans (I'm one also) down here not only there are NO Dunkin Donuts , your hard pressed to find a good cup of coffee . :(

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've had a mixture of reactions, as you have. In PA, where we have the new (regrettable IMHO) no-helmet law, I find I'm less likely to get a way from helmetless riders. Harley folks by themselves are fine. Bear in mind, sometimes folks will give you a quick "hello" nod rather than a wave; just their style or perhaps they're about to shift or something. So now I've learned to look (carefully) for the nod and/or the wave. 8)

When I describe the Burgie to people, I say, "I ride a 400cc megascooter---bigger than the smaller motorcycles and more than capable of doing highway speeds." That seems to greatly clarify things for folks who hear "scooter" and picture a 50cc Elite/Vespa. Sometimes, when they then actually see the Burgie (like in the office parking lot), I get "Oh, wow...when you said 'scooter'...." :D

Bryna

·
Registered
224 Posts
Seems that one of the first questions people ask is, "how fast will it go?", then are all suprised when my answer is, "I don't know, after I lit the thrid digit on the speedo up, I decided it was fast enough".

Hey, for the Dunkin Donut fans, you can have it delivered to your door and enjoy it every day!

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Yesterday I was sitting at a stop light when a big Dodge Ram pickup, the one with the Hemi, pulled up beside me. I heard this high pitched voice say "Ya wanna race?" and I looked over and saw this babyfaced kid, about 16 or 17, sitting there with his girl friend snuggled up next to him, and they were both laughing.

I raised my chinguard and looked him square in the eye and said "You'd lose." He quit laughing and looked at me incredulously and said "I don't think so!"

Not using the best judgement in the world I said "20 bucks says I can get to the next light before you do" and he said "You're on."

He started revving his engine and I could see that he was watching the signal for the cross traffic. As soon as their light turned red he hit it. I knew that at that light the oncoming traffic got the light first so I just sat there. He was several feet into the intersection before he got on the brakes, then had to back up. He didn't even look at me, but he did keep revving his engine.

I pushed the "Power" button and got ready to rock. The light turned green and we were off! Half way through the intersection I was already ahead of him. After a dozen yards he had to shift, and it was all over from there. Halfway to the next light I had already reached the maximum posted speed and he was only half as far as me, so I backed off.

When he caught up to me at the light he said "What kind of scooter is that?!" I told him I'd tell him all about it when we got to the parking lot at the store up ahead and he gave me my $20. When the light turned green he made a quick left and that's the last I saw of him.

Something tells me he won't be so quick to judge bikes on appearances and "labels" (like "scooter") in the future.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Brian said:
we got to the parking lot at the store up ahead and he gave me my $20. When the light turned green he made a quick left and that's the last I saw of him. Something tells me he won't be so quick to judge bikes on appearances and "labels" (like "scooter") in the future.
Welcome brother, to the Q-Ship club. Hang that 20 in a prominent place.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
abm said:
Welcome brother, to the Q-Ship club. Hang that 20 in a prominent place.
Well, I only told him that after he paid me I'd tell him about my scooter. He took off before I got his $20. :x

Still, I could display the $20 I didn't lose, but it's not quite the same. :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its quite a feeling riding this super sized radical sleek sport looking scooter. I experienced all of the above while approaching other assorted riders. I decided I would just wave at everyone. As a result, most wave back, but it doesn't really matter cuz I'm usually beaming anyways when I'm booting about. I know its just about the "coolest" looking bike out there, and I know they know it as well. When I park it at my destination, I'm always guaranteed to get a few onlookers to circle the bike...especially when I'm riding in a pair.
The Burgman is a real eye catcher......and thats 1/2 the fun.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Brian said:
I've noticed that Harley and Goldwing riders tend to wave at me less often than sport bike riders and even other big cruisers in general. But, as was said above, I wave and if it gets returned, fine; if not, that's okay too.

I suspect that the sportbike guys wave as I approach because from the front they can't tell that my 650 is a scooter. 8)
Ah, as long as we are turning this into an anti-HD rally :p
Burgman: Engine Brakes
Harley: Engine Breaks

Saw lots of them waiting on the roadside for miracle this March on my way to Daytona during the Bike Week.

8)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Kias said:
Seems the number one question I get, right after "What is that thing??" is, "Do you need a license to drive it??" I politely answer yes, while privately thinking, "It's 3 times the size of your bike!!! What do you think!?!?" Of course I always have to say in the course of the conversation, "Motorcycle World's Review says, "It's not a big scooter, it's a little GoldWing!" and everyone tends to agree.
I was paying for my gas at a gas station near Lafayette, LA when a teenager asked me if that "thing" was mine. He wanted to know how fast it can go: "can it do 45?" :?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lifegetter said:
I was paying for my gas at a gas station near Lafayette, LA when a teenager asked me if that "thing" was mine. He wanted to know how fast it can go: "can it do 45?" :?
I would have said "Yeah, if I can force myself to keep it at half throttle." :wink:

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's funny because around town in Miami, NOBODY waves and I'm thrilled about it. I don't like the distraction of looking at other riders and figuring out whether to waev or not.

Now on the ride down to the keys, nearly everyone waves and to me a real pain in the ass, because I'm so used to knot having to bother with it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts