Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL I now have 6000 miles on my 650 Brug and road bumps
are still hard on my wife. Want to and must soften this up somehow.
Thinking about a lighter oil in front forks and changing rear socks or
cutting some preload off rear springs[approx] 1/4 inch. Has anyone
smoothed out your ride and what did you do. Allready running
5 less psi in tires-helps a little but I'm sure I'm loosing some
tire wear. Any other ideas--------------THANKS

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SORRY Forgot to mention I added 2'' of soft foam to the rear of the
seat and made an extra 6'' x 10'' back rest which set on top of
the factory rest that just pull out when not being used. BUT THANKS

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
It may sound odd, but the rear settings, riding 2-up should be @ 4, minimum, I just went to #5. Settings of #3 or less, may actually be bottoming out. The front forks I changed to #15 oil, but reduced the spacer lenght by 3/8". That also helped.

Plus my seat mods, as required.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
611 Posts
I agree with Jim - I think your shocks are probably set too soft already, and you are bottoming out. Unless you both weigh under 50lbs each - I can't see a reason to reduce preload below what the shock will let you set it at. What setting do you currently have it on?

You may have a defective shock. Mount the scooter and stand up and sit back down. Does it go up and down a bit, a lot, or none at all? I haven't seen it happen in probably 10 years - but shocks (and forks) do freeze up. Make sure that you are getting dampening and spring. Have your wife (or someone bigger if possible) sit on the passenger seat, and do the sit down stand up bit again - is it wallowing around? Is it stopping hard at the bottom (or top) when you bounce hard on it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
running
5 less psi in tires-helps a little but I'm sure I'm loosing some
tire wear.
I would recommend against the reduced tire pressure while riding 2-up. There are too many downside risks compared to the upside.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Lets face it - The GD thing rides rides like a Mack Truck in town and over frost heaves, pot holes, tarmack patches etc. I have my back shocks set to the softest position and I still get kicked back in the ass when I roll over a small (say 3 or 4 inch) rut in the pavement ('specially when going 10mph or less.) I must also say that I haven't bottomed out the rears ever (maybe once or twice - which was all I needed to "get it/feel it" - with a large pillion and those crappy OEM shocks set at soft.)

I know what the bitter end on suspension feels like. I think I've only hit it only once with it at the softest setting when I had a heavy passenger and again when I was going way fast on an undulating highway solo.

So I haven't any suggestions for you 'cept to get the ultra 'spensive Fortunales (what ever) air shocks or a better breed of shock as Paul has. Changing rubber can help also.

It is poised and surefooted on the interstate but around the bumpy stuff it is a pain.

my oh2.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I haven't heard anyone mention adjusting your pre-load tension. If you are bottoming out, tighten it up. If it's too tight, loosen it some. It may do the trick.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
hrdillender said:
I haven't heard anyone mention adjusting your pre-load tension. If you are bottoming out, tighten it up. If it's too tight, loosen it some. It may do the trick.
Jim said:
It may sound odd, but the rear settings, riding 2-up should be @ 4, minimum, I just went to #5. Settings of #3 or less, may actually be bottoming out.
:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts