Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many have temporarily lost their headlights due to a sticky starter switch. Me too. I fixed mine, but thought I would report that after five years and 45000 km, my windshield and (left) turn indicator switches are also starting to stick.

It is irritating, nothing more, but it indicates to me that when taking the handlebar cluster apart to get at the switches, it's a good idea to clean them all. The dielectric grease that Suzuki uses collects crud and turns to thick goop. Squirting WD-40 into the assembly solves the problem for a while, but the crud really needs to be dug out and replaced with a lighter grease to eliminate the problem.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
They aren't really all that difficult to take apart and clean/sand/grease as long as you do not loose any of the little bits. :D

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
They aren't really all that difficult to take apart and clean/sand/grease as long as you do not loose any of the little bits. :D
:D

After going 55,800+ miles (Have not looked) I too had my headlights go out. Wobble the switch worked for about 10 times and then nothing. So today during my 15 min coffee break I instead tore mine down. I have tubes of dielectric grease as it is an excellent plastic and rubber lube and I had put a tube in the trunk this morning. Took all of 13 mins to get it apart, cleaned, lubed and back together. Two extra min's testing, could of had half a cup (did a whole cup anyways as I am sitting in a warehouse moving small crap around while on light duty). :twisted:

Next will be the left side. :rolleyes: :D

OH, DO NOT GET DIELECTRIC GREASE IN YOUR EYES. Wash your hands well before rubbing your eyes with a knuckle or your elbow.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
:d

after going 55,800+ miles (have not looked) (looked, 56,685 miles {91,225 Km's} ) I too had my headlights go out. Wobble the switch worked for about 10 times and then nothing. So today during my 15 min coffee break instead I tore mine down. I have tubes of dielectric grease as it is an excellent plastic and rubber lube and I had put a tube in the trunk this morning. Took all of 13 mins to get it apart, cleaned, lubed and back together. Two extra min's testing, could of had half a cup (did a whole cup anyways as I am sitting in a warehouse moving small crap around while on light duty). :twisted:

Next will be the left side. :rolleyes: :D

oh, do not get dielectric grease in your eyes. Wash your hands well before rubbing your eyes with a knuckle or your elbow.
edited above^^^

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
when the headlights go out the bike does not start???
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on why the headlights went out.

For the switch issue being discussed in this thread the bike will start but the headlights will not come back on when you release the starter button. There is a switch inside the starter button that turns the lights off while the bike is being cranked. The lights are suppose to come back on when you release the button.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on why the headlights went out.

For the switch issue being discussed in this thread, the 05 and up, the bike will start but the headlights will not come back on when you release the starter button. There is a switch inside the starter button that turns the lights off while the bike is being cranked. The lights are suppose to come back on when you release the button.
On the 02-04 650's the headlights stay on when cranking the engine.

The 05 up have 4 contact points and a spring loaded bar on the button. With the start button in the normal run position the bar on the button is covering the two for the headlights and when you push the button to start the bike it uncovers those two and covers the other two for the starter relay. When you release the button it should uncover the starter two and recover the headlights two. BUT if the old dielectric grease is gummy sometimes it will not re-cover the headlights contacts.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is very true! To eliminate the risk, open the assembly up inside a plastic bag. That way, if/when the part go flying, they don't fly far.

Regards
Scott Fraser

1 - 9 of 9 Posts