Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One reason I want to ditch the Hawk and get a Burgman is that I'd have a place to mount a decent radio of some sort, hopefully with controls on the handlebars if possible. I've searched through a few old threads and seen some pictures of various setups with speakers mounted up front in small light housings or in the side storage pockets.

My question is this: How audible are these audio systems? I currently have a full-face helmet and am wondering if you can hear much from the stereo going 60mph or so with a full-face helmet. I'd love to keep the stereo on the scooter rather than rig up a helmet setup with the wires and such. But if the dash-mounted speakers work decently, I'd go that route.

I'm coming from from a Hawk 650 with a 'Fast by Ferracci' carbon pipe that makes a good deal of noise, so I guess a Burgman is going to be a good deal quieter. I have no idea what going 60-80mph on a quite bike with a fairing is like. :)

My other idea is to have the stereo hidden under the seat with a remote on the bars as I've seen posted here. Then rather than have it run through speakers, have it broadcast with an FM broadaster like iPods and other MP3 players have. Then have a small FM radio mouted to the helmet with helmet speakers inside, so the whole thing would be wireless.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Wind noise is definitely an issue. I had installed Jac Vinson's turn signal beepers on my Burgman last year. At low speeds they were loud to the point of being embarrassing, but at 60 - 70 mph I could barely hear them. You could try installing a large windshield like a Clearview XXL (if it is a 650), which would certainly help, but I am sure you would still have to adjust the volume to compensate for higher speeds (and have speakers that could withstand the higher volume without distorting). Really, on a motorcycle or scooter, helmet speakers are the way to go. And once you have installed helmet speakers, you might as well just stick an MP3 player in your pocket and save your trunk space.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Speakers are audible if you wear an open face helmet and have a decent amplifier. You are best fitting high-quality waterproof speakers with a speed sensitive amp - like Honda fits to it Japan only 2004/5 Forza (Relfex) 250. I have listened to music on this machine at up to about 55mph. I'll dig around to see if there are any specs on the amp and speakers. Suzuki is fitting waterproof speakers to their AN250/400 as an option in Japan as of 2005, without Honda's speed sensitive amp. These systems are designed for use at 'around town' or 'cruising speeds'. 60-80mpg is pushing the envelope.

If you are considering traveling over 50mph and listening to music, a decent intercom system will provide the best solution. I use the Autocom Pro 7, and strongly recommend it. Music is clearly audible right into highway speeds, as is voice conversation due to its noise canceling technology and voice activation. The benefit over simple helmet speakers connected to an iPod or MD player is that the Autocom Pro 7 has a powerful amp built in. iPods are designed with closely fitting headphones or 'in-the-ear' earphones in mind, so helmet speakers when used in this application are often quite disappointing at any roadspeed.

Autocom's Pro 7 can be used in conjunction with iPods/MD/CD players, and mobile phones, and GPS navigation systems and can be used as rider to passenger or rider to rider communications. Budget around $500 for a rider to passenger package, and enjoy super-high quality music and conversation - even at 80mph.

Either way is great. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts