Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pick the brains of all of you who might be thinking differently than me. I am committed to making the stereo in the picture work on my 2008 Burgman 650 Exec. I am thinking in the space beside the key. The hole required is 3.25 inches. The face is 4 inches. These dimensions are slightly too big for that spot. I am considering a gauge mount or something else to stand it off and increase the angle toward the rider. Let me know your thoughts. My plan includes speakers in the side boxes too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I use a Good set of ear buds, made by skullcandy, walmart has them, they sound very good, i put them on under my helmet, i can hear them very well, and great quality of sound not obstructed by outside noises or helmet being on, or somebody else at a stop that has there stereo loud

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't mean to rain on your parade but even bikes that come from the factory with a complete sound system are usually useless at speeds above 60 mph. My BMW K1200lt is one such bike and it has a huge fairing and lots of speakers.

On all my bikes I use my SENA SMH10 headset which I'm really impressed with. Both because of the sound quality and how long this thing will play before it needs to be recharged, 9-10 hours. On my system I plug my GPS or MP3 player into a SENA SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter. The SM10 allows dual streaming so the passenger can listen to the same thing I am, using their own SMH10 headset. If you go this route buy a Dual Set SMH10 even if you only ride alone and spend long days riding. That way you can charge one headset while you use the other.

Before you start hacking and chopping into the bike's bodywork I would strongly suggest you try headset route first.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good topic

I have been toying with the idea of a stereo also and was leaning towards the ear bud myself.

Anyone have a positive story about a stereo and speakers?

Blakers

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Good topic

I have been toying with the idea of a stereo also and was leaning towards the ear bud myself.

Blakers
They attract attention. You'll get lots of questions and such.

But sound wise, they're okay to maybe 60. Then physics kicks in and the sound just can't overcome the wind. Plus you have to go sans ear protection to hear them at all.

Earbuds give some wind protection and sound really very decent at speed. I recommend something like the Sena. Use the helmet speakers when riding around town so you can hear sirens and earbuds on the highway. There's rarely emergency vehicles on big thoroughfares.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Good topic

Blakers
I have installed a 50mm speaker inside my helmet with sticky tape (it has the necessary space in the correct position already for this) which terminates in a 3.5mm jackplug via a short lead most of which is hidden in the helmet foam. I use it for my Garmin satnav which I have modified with a mating 3.5mm socket and I use a slim curly lead between the two. I need only one speaker (which is just as well because I am deaf in the other ear) but two 50mm speakers could very easily be fitted in the helmet for you music/radio fanatics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did try to install a stereo as well and I was really down on sound quality. Put-putting at 30-40 mph the sound was ok, but then the wind took over.
I now use my phone bluetooth connection to a pair of bluetooth headsets (the lg -hbs730). As an added bonus, I can hear phone calls and GPS voice prompts this way. The phone is mounted on my right brake reservoir with Ram adapters.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think, adding speakers to any bike isn't about how does it sound.

Its just because the owner wants to do it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I think, adding speakers to any bike isn't about how does it sound.

Its just because the owner wants to do it.
Yeah, it's the Gold Wing syndrome IMHO

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Like Peelbrow I've got speakers mounted in my helmet, in my case two of them. They are part of the headset that came with the Chatterbox GMRS radio I use to communicate with other folks in my riding group. The Chatterbox has an audio in jack on it that I have cabled to my Garmin so I can hear directions. The Garmin has a MP3 player built into it. I've got about 300 songs on a SD card loaded into the Garmin. The Garmin plays the songs through the same audio cable and I can hear them in my headset.

I get good quality stereo through this setup that is not bothered by wind noise. I can hear it clearly even though I wear earplugs under the helmet. The Garmin mutes the music when it needs to feed me directions. The Chatterbox mutes the music when someone in the group wants to talk.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Ah this reminds me of my old Honda Helix with the factory Kenwood system I added that Honda used to offer.

For a cheaper alternative I found a pair of slim Panasonic headphones with the volume control on the cord. I took them apart and fitted then into the pockets built in to my helmet. Worked great and nice to have the volume cord control.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ah this reminds me of my old Honda Helix with the factory Kenwood system I added that Honda used to offer.

For a cheaper alternative I found a pair of slim Panasonic headphones with the volume control on the cord. I took them apart and fitted then into the pockets built in to my helmet. Worked great and nice to have the volume cord control.
Ooo, I had one of those on my helix. Nice option for the day.

If its control you want, this works great with the 32 pin iPods or iPhones. Just strap it on the handle bar, plug in the ear buds and have music all day.

Amazon.com : Monster iEZClick Remote Control for iPod (Black) : MP3 Players & Accessories

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sweet Sounds

:cool: Ok guys, here's my two cents worth of opinions about sound systems and burgies. I installed (yes myself) a pair of Infinity 5.25 speakers. My wife just bought me a Massive Audio V1000.4 1000W 4 channel amplifier. I read some of the posts about not hearing anything at 60mph, but I tell you this. At 80 mph, I can hear my music as if I am standing in my living room. Since I'm not selling anything here I don't have to lie. I hate earbuds, tried the speaker in the helmet and I really don't like being tied to my sound system by some type of wiring. The quality of your sound depends entirely on how you design your system. Here's a few pics of mine and I have gotten quite a few compliments and surprised reactions on how well it sounds.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/members/28917-tonyg45-albums-tony-greer-s-scooter-gallery.html.

Ride safe and enjoy the wind but my advice...Don't eat the bugs !!:headbang:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Could just do something like this too.

Reactions: ojonan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking on board stereo for several reasons.
- I live in Ohio. Helmets are not required, so I typically do not wear one. When I do it's a half helmet. Ears exposed.
- I've done the bluetooth earbuds and I don't like how the world goes away and all you hear is what's in your head.
- The quiet nature of the Burgman loses the added visibility of sound. Loud piped bikes are more visible because of the volume of the motor. A decent sound system could accomplish a similar scenario by being loud enough to be heard by an unaware driver.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts